What was your first computer?

xserd

Hello Almercenary, what makes you built you own? 

I basically searched the internet for about a year, year an a half looking at PC bits. Then, my dad needed a new PC so I offered to build one for him. He then didn't want it as he wanted a laptop so I bought it off him and started pouring money into it, Since then, i've been in love with tech, gaming and a good cup of tea or coffee to go with it.  That's my story really. Not that special  :)

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Was just looking at video tutorials for like a week straight, ordered all my bit(Apart from GPU, didn't have the money at the time) and built it. 
First boot up I was met with the sweet beeping sound and worked perfectly straight away.
However, only 3 components in my PC from 16 months ago remain as I realised I picked some shit components.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

I've also had only one DIY PC to date with some upgrades. Stupid young age! Guess I should be thankful

Oh man I remember when I was building it, even with my brothers help, it pretty much took me like 4 or 5 hours total. I think the biggest issue I had was all of the cables that were already in the case, there were several of them and they confused the hell out of me, especially the damn power and led ones, but I finally got it workin and I was so happy and proud.

The LEDs are dreadful lol, nowadays they come with connector(Q-Connector) to save the day. When I first put it back and the LEDs didn't fired up and I just realised that the pole was wrong.

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

Was just looking at video tutorials for like a week straight, ordered all my bit(Apart from GPU, didn't have the money at the time) and built it. 

First boot up I was met with the sweet beeping sound and worked perfectly straight away.

However, only 3 components in my PC from 16 months ago remain as I realised I picked some shit components.

Are you following Linus at that time? In my days, the youtube still not that popular though. ^_^

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

All went well except for the front panel connectors.. I was working in a not-so-well-lit room so yeah  -_-

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

After leaving PC gaming in 2007 and getting a PS2 then a PS3 in 2010,I got into Battlefield BC2 and had lots of fun with it on console, but when I played BF3 on PS3 and saw how many problems the PS3 had running it and saw how the PC had 64 man servers I looked into building a PC and found Linustechtips and NCIXcom and learned how to build a computer.

Bought half my computer in the summer and the other half (GPU,CPU cooler,and Windows) in the winter of 2012 and got a $1100 computer (at the time) for $650.

The specs are in my sig.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

When Diablo 3 came out I had a store bought Gateway from about 2010 with an AMD quad core APU and it wasn't cutting it. I had moved my system to a friends house so we could all nerd out on Diablo and I couldn't even play it xD. So they helped me pick out and buy an AMD 6950 to throw in and that was the first time I'd even seen the inside of a system. My friend Showed me his system and I got jealous. I can't even remember specs but It was a cooler master full tower case with two GPUs in crossfire and it looked amazing. I had to have my own.

A year later when I had the money to do It I started researching. I got most of my info from newegg tv and linus tech tips as well as various forums. I ended up with:

AMD 8350

Corsair H100i

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

WD Black 2TB 7200rpm

NZXT Phantom 630

Corsair HX850 with Modular Individually sleeved green cables

2x PNY GTX 780s in SLI (well I'm ordering the second one in a week  :D )

and some green LEDs because the phantom has a huge side window and I wanted to show off my first build lol

I Definitely had some struggles and ended up having to RMA my mobo but I got a new one and everything when off without a hitch. Now I can't stop looking for more ways to optimize my current system or dreaming about future ones. it is ADDICTIVE. not to mention allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the games!

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

When Diablo 3 came out I had a store bought Gateway from about 2010 with an AMD quad core APU and it wasn't cutting it. I had moved my system to a friends house so we could all nerd out on Diablo and I couldn't even play it xD. So they helped me pick out and buy an AMD 6950 to throw in and that was the first time I'd even seen the inside of a system. My friend Showed me his system and I got jealous. I can't even remember specs but It was a cooler master full tower case with two GPUs in crossfire and it looked amazing. I had to have my own.

A year later when I had the money to do It I started researching. I got most of my info from newegg tv and linus tech tips as well as various forums. I ended up with:

AMD 8350

Corsair H100i

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

WD Black 2TB 7200rpm

NZXT Phantom 630

Corsair HX850 with Modular Individually sleeved green cables

2x PNY GTX 780s in SLI (well I'm ordering the second one in a week  :D )

and some green LEDs because the phantom has a huge side window and I wanted to show off my first build lol

I Definitely had some struggles and ended up having to RMA my mobo but I got a new one and everything when off without a hitch. Now I can't stop looking for more ways to optimize my current system or dreaming about future ones. it is ADDICTIVE. not to mention allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the games!

What Monster game you are going to play that needs two 780 lol?

MY SETUP

Oh God this thread makes me feel old, my first computer was a Sinclair ZX81.

it was the kit not the finnished article, I learnt how to solder with it and write basic.

I wish I still had it

Kingston DDR 400 512MB ram x 2 (Total 2GB) (Recalling my memory that each DDR 400 ram will cost you about $60 at that time! ) 

Two 512MB sticks would only equal 1GB, silly. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

A Lenovo G570, first computer I had that was only mine, it was my Baby :wub: , Core i3 with Radeon Graphics, a great laptop, added more RAM to it, replaced the thermal paste, almost replaced the CPU, and I replaced the keyboard. but then the LCD screen died a week before my birthday :(  and it was too much to fix, so I got a new $1000 AUD laptop (in hindsight that cost a bit more than fixing my old laptop), I salvaged the hard-drive and RAM which I shoved in my new laptop. The HDD just sits with an eSATA cable, ah well.

YcUiJl9.png

i dont get it... screens are like 20 on ebay?! how can you justify to spent 1000 over 20-100 kek

I wish I remembered. It was this creamy-coloured desktop machine that ran Windows ME or 2000 (IDK). It actually had an offline-based copy of Wikipedia on it, which I still laugh at today lololol.

I should have kept the case and put hihend-parts in it, so my PC is not at risk of being stolen.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It's hard to say what my first computer was, I remember a very old packard bell computer that ran a skinned version of windows or DOS.  It wasn't a pre-rendered 3d thing either IIRC.  We have had many computers since then, an old IBM with a Pentium II in it (that still works, I think), a few emachines (I think both had celerons in them one was ~500MHz and the other was like 2.6GHz), and then we had 2 HP PCs which were AMD based (Semprons, these were two identical machines except for one was 1 revision newer and had a SATA hard drive and I upgraded the RAM in one of them).  Then in 2008 I built my own PC, an Athlon X2 6000+ with 8GB of ram and a nvidia 9600 GT.  I've come a long way since my first build, doing incremental upgrades every couple years or so (first major upgrade was to a 9800 GTX+ from XFX when they still made nVidia GPUs, I'm still nostalgic about that card).

My parents had a Commodore 64, though that was many years before I was born.

Two 512MB sticks would only equal 1GB, silly. :D

Thanks for reminding lol Just typed the new specs :ph34r:

MY SETUP

Gateway 2000. I live where Gateway was based. Practically 20% of our city worked there lol. (Sioux City) Gateway even has an exhibit at our local museum which is kinda neat.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

Mine was one my father built (don't have a picture) which ran Windows XP, had 1GB of DDr2 RAM (bleeding edge right?) a 4000 series ATI Card and some sort of Celerom processor.

*This was a gift* My first personal computer was an HP laptop. I'm not sure what the model was, but it had 3GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium @ 2.1GHz, 320GB HDD (Toshiba). Served me for 4 years before the lid hinge broke.

*also a gift* Second one was also HP; Pavilion g7-1261nr. 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (Hitachi), Dual core Pentium @ 2.1GHz. Still functions.

HP-Pavilion-g7-1261nr-laptop.jpg''

Third computer and first desktop is fairly recent and is my first personal desktop. While it is on the cheap end right now, I had a personal need to get to desktops, as a laptop just wasn't cutting it anymore. I do fully intend on upgrading it soon, but I didn't have money to go all out at time (my family isn't the most stable financially.) Will edit in a picture or two when I get home in about an hour.

i still have a cpc-464 (from 1984) on my desk :)

Awesome, Do you still have the Model-M keyboard that cam with it?

I use my Model-M everyday :D

My first ever PC that I owned was a Dell Inspiron 1300. It was given to me by a friend for free. I still have it.

Awesome, Do you still have the Model-M keyboard that cam with it?

I use my Model-M everyday :D

it does not come with a model-M (the computer is build into the keyboard)

PooKloo For Slick

it does not come with a model-M (the computer is build into the keyboard)

Ah shit , you have an Amstrad! My mistake I was confusing it with an ibm 5150 for some bizarre reason...

Ever play Roland in the caves? 

Childhood memories..."Flashback" :D

lol