What was your first computer?

xserd

first computer that was fully mine was an amd Athlon 64x2, 2GB and 500GB HD running windows vista. It had massive problems with sata drivers. It was fixed in an update but then it would blue screen while installing then it would have to start over. Super annoying.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

An IBM with an 286 processor with no hard drive or even windows, booted into some crazy thing from a floppy disk believe, when I was like 8 years old or there about, quickly followed with an upgrade to a 486 dx with 200mb hard drive and 4mb of ram..... 90's computing...

I honestly have no idea of the specs of my first computer. I was in elementary school and I am now 30 years old. I can tell you that it had a "green" display, took larger truly "floppy" discs, and played Oregon Trail like a boss!

When i was 3 (yes, i am that introduced to computers) i had a Windows XP computer (i don't really remember). I think it was a EEE computer.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

10 hours ago, Techbyte said:

I honestly have no idea of the specs of my first computer. I was in elementary school and I am now 30 years old. I can tell you that it had a "green" display, took larger truly "floppy" discs, and played Oregon Trail like a boss!

Apple II - Apple IV i think

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

19 hours ago, Kierax said:

Pentium 1 100mhz 16MB ram, some basic graphics, think it was TNT2 or something like that. Ran Windows 95.

Wowee a Pentium 100 with a TNT2? Talk about a bottleneck. TNT2 was quite decent actually. If you were running an M64 I could maybe forgive you ;-)

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Apple II - Apple IV i think

Pretty sure an Apple IV doesn't exist ;-)

He was probably running some flavour of Apple II, although there was an IBM compatible version of the Oregon Trail which kind of throws a spanner in.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

After a bit of research and a phone call to my father, i believe it was a IBM PS/2 model 70. Initially it was my fathers pc that was passed down to my brother and me when he bought a new one for himself.

My first computer was an eMachine laptop with a Pentium Dual core, 3Gb ram, 250Gb HDD, running Windows Vista. 

4 hours ago, awesomes8wc3 said:

Wowee a Pentium 100 with a TNT2? Talk about a bottleneck. TNT2 was quite decent actually. If you were running an M64 I could maybe forgive you ;-)

Pretty sure an Apple IV doesn't exist ;-)

He was probably running some flavour of Apple II, although there was an IBM compatible version of the Oregon Trail which kind of throws a spanner in.

Kept that TNT for years moving it from system to system.  Was an antique when I gave it up. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Intel Celeron B820

2gb Ddr3

320gb hard drive

1366x768 15.6" monitor

heh.

Nothing.

Quite a bit newer than most of , but still bad compared to today. An Acer netbook with 512mb of ram, an Atom at 1.5, and 200gb of storage. It got bogged down from using chrome os.

Had a used IBM PC XT, monochrome monitor, and a IBM DOS book in the early 90's to teach myself how to use it. Remember playing Leisure Suit Larry and Police Quest on that old machine. Learning on that really gave me an appreciation for what's under the hood of today's modern GUI's

First computer was a Commodore 16..

First PC bought was a Packard Bell Pentium 150mhz (OCd to 180mhz)

First PC built was an AMD K6-2 350

My first comp was a state of the art 486 DX2 33Mhz 4MB ram and a huge 200MB HDD. I was running windows 3.11

• 6 months later...

Just a general thread. Feel free to post any specs/experiences with your first PC build. My first build is the one in my signature, built it when I was 12 I think.

Curious to find out how many PCs some of the people around here have built.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

I've built 2 so far. I built my current one and my brothers when I was 15(16 now).

Specs are:

Brothers PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($261.75 @ shopRBC) 
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($67.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card  ($326.25 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $870.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 22:13 EST-0500

My PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($100.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($57.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($74.76 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($100.00) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse  ($30.00) 
Headphones: Philips SHP9500  Headphones  ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Other: Xigmatek Tauro 600W M ($90.00)
Other: SteelSeries ApexM500 ($129.00)
Other: DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS V2.0 ($15.00)
Total: $761.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 22:14 EST-0500

I hope to upgrade my rig when zen comes out but I'll wait for more info on it.

My first build is the one in my signature (Yuki-chan), built it when I was 22 I think. 23 now. Hahaha

Nothing special really. It booted the first time I turned it on. But I did make some mistakes:

• Installed the CM Hyper212x fan blowing towards the wrong direction. It was blowing hot air directly onto my PSU hahaha I was wondering why there was no hot air coming out of the exhaust fan.
  • MoBo only read 1 RAM stick, apparently I didn't push hard enough
  • others not worh mentioning.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

I've probably built about 20 computers. I've enjoyed (almost) every one of them and find it very relaxing. I have tons of extra parts I like to fiddle around with as well. Probably about 50 pounds of stuff, but about 30 of that is older stuff I'll never really use.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

My first build was an AMD rig.  Looking back, I did some stupid selections in hardware.  :P   But, the computer did the job and I thought it was awesome when I unlocked the duo to a quad core (back when AMD took surplus quads and locked them to duo).  Believe I was 19-20 years old back then.

Now I have Sergeants, friends, and family that bug me to build them computers.  The offset, I get free food.  Was sweet though to do a x99 system for one guy.  Wish he would sell it to me, the 5930K on that bugger can clock nice.

Actually, still have the pic of my first build.  Still have that case and my folder rig is stuffed in there.  Yeah....the PSU was overkill.  I still tend to do that.  Still have that PSU too.

A2.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

First PC I ever built. Ah...... Sweet memories. It was back in 2010, I was 13 years old and didn't know the first thing about how to build PCs. My shitty Dell laptop kicked the bucket only 6 months after I got it and I was left with a 1ghz Pentium 3 Dell.. I survived on that thing for about half a year, I did my first ever upgrades to it. I took it from 128mb to 512mb, I put a radeon 9250 in there and most importantly, I added a sound card. LMAO

But after a while I just couldn't take it. I gathered a few broken PCs left over from my mother and uncle and just said "fuck it" and went for it. I had no clue what I was doing and it's a god damn miracle it worked out. I ended up with a 1.8ghz Athlon 64, 1GB of RAM and a 9600 pro all in a putty colored case. The thrill when I got when it POSTed was just incredible. I was jumping around and screaming throughout the whole XP installation process. It took me awhile to finally figure what drivers I needed, but after that I was up and running. I was amazed at how perfectly it ran Project 64, and even more amazed that it could play TF2! I had no idea how old the PC really was at the time, but I didn't care at all, I was just so damn proud of it, I felt like I had a NASA computer.

The thing still lives today. I did a bunch of upgrades and even a little OCing and it works great as a basic computer. :D But see people, if someone as ignorant and stupid as me could build a PC at 13, anyone can! Thanks for creating this thread, I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

show me your first CPU and GPU

cpu: Sempron (with 1 core at 2000 mhz)
gpu: HD 4350 with 80sp (that was a waste of money lol) xD

My first CPU was a MOS Technologies 6510 @ 1.023 MHZ (Commodore 64)

my First discreet GPU? ATI 3D Rage 

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

First CPU: uhm some Pentium

First GPU: some integrated from pentium

Intel E4500 was my first CPU that I owned.

Before that was some Pentium 4, but that was family PC and I was only like 10 years old back then.

So at age 14, I bought myself first PC with E4500 CPU. And I don't think there was any GPU in that system xD 

First GPU that I purchased as an upgrade was GT 9800.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4690k gtx 980

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000