Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC

SteveGrabowski0
3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

60fps has been a focus since the 90's. 30fps as a focus only became a thing with consoles.

Then you should see Goldeneye 007 on the N64...like it ever had 30FPS stable. 

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Then you should see Goldeneye 007 on the N64...like it ever had 30FPS stable. 

After playing MechAssault 2 Lone Wolf on my Xbox and experiencing slowdowns within the first 15-20 minutes of the game....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

OH NOES now i have to ... open an .ini file and change a digit  OOOOH NOOO 

-283871827/ 10 mafia 3 sucks 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I agree with 2k's actions, because the human eye can only see 24 fps and so 30 fps is plenty enough. Also wish they locked it down to 720p which is "retina" and  has better performance and a more cinematic feeling 

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

OH NOES now i have to ... open an .ini file and change a digit  OOOOH NOOO 

-283871827/ 10 mafia 3 sucks 

If only it was that easy in all games.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

60fps has been a focus since the 90's. 30fps as a focus only became a thing with consoles.

Not to the extent it is now. There was more demand for games to be able to run at 60fps but it was nowhere near as rabid as it is these days. Developers didn't get crucified for 30fps or other issues of that nature until more recently. It's not exactly a bad thing, I wish ALL PC games had completely unlocked framerates, but the pc gaming community can get a bit overzealous about things at times.

Are there any actual benefits to locking the game engine's physics or whatever to a particular framerate?

53 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Not to the extent it is now. There was more demand for games to be able to run at 60fps but it was nowhere near as rabid as it is these days. Developers didn't get crucified for 30fps or other issues of that nature until more recently. It's not exactly a bad thing, I wish ALL PC games had completely unlocked framerates, but the pc gaming community can get a bit overzealous about things at times.

Come back once you've played a game at 30fps, then at 60fps (or even 85fps if you have an 85Hz screen/monitor). It dramatically improves the way a game feels-30fps feels broken after going from playing games on my Xbox to playing on my computer (that took a few years since I was stuck with a Pentium III 667+Riva TNT2 Vanata until the start of 2014)

PMSL

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

It baffles me how big budget titles can release framerate locked when smaller games and those of past don't have this 'feature'

Only logical reason would be a design choice to appease the console gaylords if enough money is on the line. Yes there are engines with physics tied to framerate, which is blasphemous if they expect you to pay upwards of $50 for the product. 

^My thoughts exactly.

This is either the result of stupid, lazy programming, or the result of some back room shenanigandery meant to make the consoles look relevant.

What's sad is that it will probably take the PC game modding community less time to figure this out, than it will take for the developer to figure it out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Come back once you've played a game at 30fps, then at 60fps (or even 85fps if you have an 85Hz screen/monitor). It dramatically improves the way a game feels-30fps feels broken after going from playing games on my Xbox to playing on my computer (that took a few years since I was stuck with a Pentium III 667+Riva TNT2 Vanata until the start of 2014)

I have a 144hz 3D monitor and a 4K TV capable of 4K/60 and 1080/120 connected to my PC. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been playing games but I've been playing PC games since the early 90s, during the days when we still had games on 5.25" floppies. I've been there for all the big video game revolutions of the past 20+ years. Believe me I'm very familiar with how games look and feel at different framerates. My first experience with Doom was playing it on a computer that could barely manage to be playable. The framerate had to be in the teens and that was not uncommon for gamers at the time. The explosive rise of graphics accelerators didn't really get going until a little later with games like Quake and Duke 3D. So a lot of us kids and teens back then made due with what we had and played games even if they ran poorly. Maybe at 32 I'm already too old to care that much about getting worked up over every little thing these days. I don't have the patience or the energy for it anymore.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

^My thoughts exactly.

This is either the result of stupid, lazy programming, or the result of some back room shenanigandery meant to make the consoles look relevant.

They aren't unless you have an ancient desktop and no means of buying a computer/parts at all. I recently finished of a rig for my friend with an i5 4440+GTX 650 ti OC 2GB (nothing more is needed due to the TV he's using-supposedly 1080p but it only works properly at 720p)+8GB of RAM+1TB WD Blue 7200RPM. And he has decided to not get a console ever again after playing games on his PS3 and Xbox 360, and then on his PC as everything runs a lot smoother.

PMSL

13 minutes ago, Derangel said:

I have a 144hz 3D monitor and a 4K TV capable of 4K/60 and 1080/120 connected to my PC. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been playing games but I've been playing PC games since the early 90s, during the days when we still had games on 5.25" floppies. I've been there for all the big video game revolutions of the past 20+ years. Believe me I'm very familiar with how games look and feel at different framerates. My first experience with Doom was playing it on a computer that could barely manage to be playable. The framerate had to be in the teens and that was not uncommon for gamers at the time. The explosive rise of graphics accelerators didn't really get going until a little later with games like Quake and Duke 3D. So a lot of us kids and teens back then made due with what we had and played games even if they ran poorly. Maybe at 32 I'm already too old to care that much about getting worked up over every little thing these days. I don't have the patience or the energy for it anymore.

I used to game at 25-45fps for a while as I was stuck with a rather poorly performing Riva TNT2 Vanata, and later on laptops with an Ati Mobility Radeon 9000igp Intel 915GML and Quadro NVS110M(Geforce 7200Go) respectively. and on the few occasions I tried a newer game and had the fps below 25, it was unplayable. FYI-I only recently threw out the 5.25" FDD that came with my old 386 as its read/write head fell off (still don't know why the 85MB HDD hasn't died-it doesn't even have a single damaged sector and still sounds like new). Also games from the early 90's are quite different from the games we get now. Considering that I used to play games such as Commander Keen, Crystal caves and Duke Nukum on my Trident....

PMSL

24 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I used to game at 25-45fps for a while as I was stuck with a rather poorly performing Riva TNT2 Vanata, and later on laptops with an Ati Mobility Radeon 9000igp Intel 915GML and Quadro NVS110M(Geforce 7200Go) respectively. and on the few occasions I tried a newer game and had the fps below 25, it was unplayable. FYI-I only recently threw out the 5.25" FDD that came with my old 386 as its read/write head fell off (still don't know why the 85MB HDD hasn't died-it doesn't even have a single damaged sector and still sounds like new). Also games from the early 90's are quite different from the games we get now. Considering that I used to play games such as Commander Keen, Crystal caves and Duke Nukum on my Trident....

I wonder if some of the reason modern games feel so much worse at lower framerates is due to how the look and just how much controls have changed over time. Before mice were common place there really wasn't that pointer or reticle that could give a really good visual representation of how laggy a game was. Games also seemed to perform better at lower frame rates, they were probably designed to do so since so many people had weaker hardware unable to really push a game. Some games are still okay  30fps. Slower paced strategy games, turn-based RPGs, or even some games like Tales of Zesteria (though 60fps does make a big difference in that game) 30fps is okay. But man even watching console footage of Mafia 3. It looks terrible at 30fps (or less).

I wish I still had my old DOS PC. I have a lot of great memories of that thing. Having to teach myself DOS really got me interested in technology. The DOS port of Ninja Gaiden had a huge impact on not only my love of not only the series itself but of ninjas in general. Well, that and Snake Eyes from GI Joe.

1 hour ago, -TesseracT- said:

Are there any actual benefits to locking the game engine's physics or whatever to a particular framerate?

Not an expert here, though I think there is some optimisation possible, compare Forza Horizon locked at 30 FPS vs not locked - the game lags less loading the terrain. Or Skyrim for example had a physics engine that would lose its shit above 60 FPS.

On the other hand, 30 FPS makes no sense, period. I'm gonna check the game when I get it, but not play far if this is not fixed.

We do what we can, because we must.

They've already released a statement they're working on a patch to fix the 30FPS cap.

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Is it too much to ask to not get triggered over something like this?

As much as it is for you not to use a stupid fucking trendy term whenever someone disagrees with you and makes light of it with a joke.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The List of technical Issues grows and grows.  Console Shit...

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 hours ago, Derangel said:

i played Homeworld Cataclysm on a 450mhz P3 (love that slot 1)  256mb ram , a ATI rage II+DVD 2mb and a 20" 1600*1200 screen , the game ran in software render mode , 16 bit colors and had a few effects disabled , yet it ran the game at nice framerates (no stutter so it was 20~30+ at all times) even when i swarmed the enemy w/ 200 acolytes 

blasting away rockets and energy guns wich are all just lens flare and tracer galore , not to mention all the explosions 

may i remind you that HW:C required 16mb of vram for the settings i ran it at , even MIN spec ( 800*600 on lowest settings) needs 4mb 

yea i ran it JUST fine on 2mb (ATI rage ftw  59.gif ) 

that lil storytime aside , you can pull alot out of hardware if the game is made well , and looking at M3´s  min/req specs ,

they are pulling some bunnys out of some (game)engine cylinders , 30fps aside its Impressive what they are pulling off 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, Theorak said:

Not an expert here, though I think there is some optimisation possible, compare Forza Horizon locked at 30 FPS vs not locked - the game lags less loading the terrain. Or Skyrim for example had a physics engine that would lose its shit above 60 FPS.

On the other hand, 30 FPS makes no sense, period. I'm gonna check the game when I get it, but not play far if this is not fixed.

i don't think there's much optimization going on with 30fps. if the devs wanted they can run 60fps. but visual details will probably be compromised on the console port. 

that's not the issue in forza horizon 3. i've heard it was because of how the game still allocates resources as if it was running on the xbone 

7 hours ago, Derangel said:

Because we never realized how often it happened. The whole focus on framerate is new. I mean hell most of us ran Doom at UNDER 30fps and never had a problem. It wasn't uncommon for older games to have everything tied to frame rates because no one thought about games running on multi-core multi-GHz processors with 100+hz monitors in the early to mid 90s. This big 60fps or more focus is really only 7-8 years old, if that.

That's quite unfair: Doom was released on 1993. Even by the late 90s we still had computers that are significantly slower than whatever you have in your pocket right now. Of course it's more recent since PCs have grown exponentially faster in recent years. This has nothing to do with what is a better experience as we know it's better, we just didn't have fast enough machines back then.

So you either you show me a game that's so jaw droppingly beautiful looking that makes me go "Yeah I wanna play this, even at 30 FPS" or you need to stop defending fucking hacks that just copy/pasted the console assets and code and hacked it together in 2 weeks to have it run on PC as is and still look average and not at all fucking special.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I can image what the situation actually is like:

Game originally made with 30FPS lock in mind for consoles, as they targeted visuals over framerate. Then later when PC porting started, they did start the work on releasing the framerate, in parallell with the general porting. When they got close to release and the framerate cap wasn't fixed yet, they probably had a meeting about it, and it was concluded that they probably would have the fix done in time, so they decided to just push on and release as scheduled. 
And as we here now, they nearly made it, they just overstepped by a few days. 

In hindsight, it would've been better if they told us this at the start of the week or something. "We have on final patch, which will enable unlocked framerates, we want to finish before releasing the PC version, which might not be ready on Friday, therefore we are delaying the PC version to Wednesday next week, just to be sure.". 
They might have thought of doing that, but they just took the chance. At least they were quick to inform us about the patch when asked about it. 

It's of course stupid to have that lock on there to begin with, as I guess a PC version always was planned, but sometimes devs do stupid stuff that is supposed to be temporary, and then takes ages to do correctly later on. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Please tell me the complaints I'm reading on Steam about this being rendered at 1280x720 and upscaled are bullshit. :(

I played Mafia 1 at a higher resolution than that back in 2002.

4 hours ago, Derangel said:

I wonder if some of the reason modern games feel so much worse at lower framerates is due to how the look and just how much controls have changed over time. Before mice were common place there really wasn't that pointer or reticle that could give a really good visual representation of how laggy a game was. Games also seemed to perform better at lower frame rates, they were probably designed to do so since so many people had weaker hardware unable to really push a game. Some games are still okay  30fps. Slower paced strategy games, turn-based RPGs, or even some games like Tales of Zesteria (though 60fps does make a big difference in that game) 30fps is okay. But man even watching console footage of Mafia 3. It looks terrible at 30fps (or less).

I wish I still had my old DOS PC. I have a lot of great memories of that thing. Having to teach myself DOS really got me interested in technology. The DOS port of Ninja Gaiden had a huge impact on not only my love of not only the series itself but of ninjas in general. Well, that and Snake Eyes from GI Joe.

Some games such as WOWIII I've found to play and feel the same at 640x480 minimum settings on my TNT2 at around 20-30fps, as it does at 1025x768 85fps highest settings on my Geforce 6100/6200 TC. No game on DirectX 8.1 and higher to me at least has managed to do the same.

I'm lucky in that regard-with a new PSU (and minor board repairs-the batteries from a 486 and 286 board leaked all over its LED indicator headers) my 386 will be up and running. Though losing the 5.25" FDD means that I need to use my s370 rig to transfer the replacements that I downloaded to 3.5" FDD (still amazed at how many 3.5"+5.25" FDD cables that I have).

PMSL

PATCH 1.01 READY FOR DOWNLOAD

UPDATE [10/8 / 3PM PT]: PC players, reboot Mafia III because patch 1.01 is now available for download. This patch includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options on PC. To select your framerate, just head to the display menu in-game. Just make sure to tailor the framerate settings to the power of your machine. This patch also includes improvements to keyboard remapping, so head to the controls menu to check out the options. Note: this patch resets keyboard mapping to default, so any changes you made to the controls previously will need to be customized after installing the patch.

We aren’t done with fixes and updates and will continue to listen to our community for ways to improve your experience in New Bordeaux. And check here to see what content updates we have in the works, including outfit swapping, races, and more.

Check my Video Game Photos on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakedrone/ ?