Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC

SteveGrabowski0

EDIT: 10/11/2016 - Now there is a patch to unlock framerate which allows my GTX 970 to get a whole 32 fps at 1080p high.

Looks like it might be another POS port like Arkham Knight was at launch. This is so disappointing, as I was a huge fan of the first game and was really looking forward to this. But I'm not paying $60 for 30 fps. I didn't build a $1000+ pc to be running games at XBox One level framerates. What a joke, fuck this game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-3-appears-to-be-locked-to-30fps-on-pc/

Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30fps on PC
By Andy Kelly

We've experimented with settings, but can't push the game past 30.

We received Mafia 3 code this afternoon, and I've started work on the review. But I noticed that the controls felt kinda sluggish, before realising that, if my Fraps readings (and my eyes) are correct, the game is locked to 30fps.

I thought maybe my PC just couldn't handle it, so I shifted down 720p and the lowest graphics settings, but it was still locked to 30. I'm running a GTX 970, an i5-6600K overclocked to 4.5GHz, and 16GB of RAM, which should be more than enough. And it still happens when I disable the in-game vsync option.

So yeah, not great. Whether this is something that'll be fixed in a day one patch, or will be sorted via a forthcoming graphics driver update, remains to be seen, but as it stands it feels like Lincoln is trudging through sludge as I walk around the (very pretty) city of New Bordeaux. We've reached out to 2K to see what the deal is.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3128256/software-games/mafia-iii-for-pc-appears-locked-at-30-frames-per-second.html

Mafia III for PC appears locked at 30 frames per second

I can't drive 55 (because Mafia III stops me at 30).

Hayden Dingman | @haydencd
Games reporter, PCWorld Oct 6, 2016 9:12 AM

Here I was hoping that 2K delayed doling out Mafia III review code as some sort of cheerful Doom-esque surprise. "You thought it would be bad, but actually it's excellent and one of the best games of the year!"

Who knows, maybe Mafia III is good—but today's news certainly isn't. Upon receiving review code ahead of tonight's launch, PC Gamer booted the game up only to find that it's apparently locked at 30 frames per second. Yes, on the PC. Popular Twitch streamer Cohh Carnage noticed the same limitation while broadcasting Mafia III today, a day ahead of the game’s release tomorrow.

While not exactly a world-ending catastrophe, it doesn't speak volumes about the quality of the PC port. Batman: Arkham Knight is the last PC game I can think of to launch with a locked 30fps frame rate, and…well, I shudder to even invoke Arkham Knight's name here, lest we jinx Mafia III further. Suffice it to say, something as basic as a locked frame rate on PC—at least in this sort of big-budget game—often indicates a questionable port in other areas too, though Cohh Carnage’s stream suggests the rest of the game holds up pretty well.

That said, a 30fps lock is a deal-breaker for some PC gamers. Cross your fingers that it's fixable, and not a situation akin to Dark Souls II where some vital piece of the engine is locked to frame rate or what have you. We'll keep an eye out and report back soon.

Urgh. 30FPS is horrid for action. Someone'll find a hack.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Yup. People thought there would be something wrong with the game since they didn't allow reviews prior to release. Turns out to be just that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well guesse im not going to get this game, 30fps is just terrible to game at.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

That's a shame. An amazing looking game like Mafia 3 wouldn't be a great experience with the 30fps lock. 60fps lock would be just a tiny bit more understandable (but not really). Hopefully it gets unlocked in a later patched.

Also, you can't really compare 30fps lock to the Batman AK port. Arkham Knight was just broken without effort. An 30fps lock is ruining the game intentionally.

Seriously why do devs keep doing this? What is the point of locking it? What causes such a silly limitation to remain at such an age?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I would wait and see. On the reddit post I was reading they said some people confirmed 60fps was working. I am getting my copy at 9pm I will update as to whether or not it is locked. https://m.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/565jnu/mafia_3_appears_to_be_locked_to_30fps_on_pc/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=false

If it is locked I will be pissed. Mafia 2 ran at a solid 60,and I believe mafia 1 did also. No reason for it. Don't pull a LA Noise and tie the fps to the physics... 

no wonder 2K didn't send review copies prior to launch -_-

PC gaming - master race indeed xD

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Why lock the FPS to 30 when your eye cant see faster then 7 FPS :^)

Bitch please, my eyes can see 23.9 FPS, because anything higher is impossible for our nature human eyes.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, raphidy said:

Some mods will fixe this because devs are lazy.

Maybe it's just a horrible port like Arkham Knight and they think they can hide it behind a 30 fps lock.

I can live with 30 fps on a $300 console but that shit is unforgivable for people who went and spent good money on i5/i7 cpus and RX 480/GTX 970 and above gpus.

Hell even if I was running a cheaper gpu like a GTX 960 I'd expect to be able to get 60 fps by lowering settings like shadows, lighting, texture quality, etc.

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Bitch please, my eyes can see 23.9 FPS, because anything higher is impossible for our nature human eyes.

i was clearly joking lol. humans can tell the difference between 60 Hz and 120Hz

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

i was clearly joking lol. humans can tell the difference between 60 Hz and 120Hz

And I was joking too lol.

I sometimes have to alt-tab GTAV because of the bug that makes the game run at 30FPS, totally horrible to play.

So no, just fuck off with your 30FPS lock, developers.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

15 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

fixed it for ya

Depends. Some scenes are fine with 30FPS, but pans, zooms and action sequences, like those that happen in any decent game, aren't pleasant and really break the immersion. That's one of the reasons I keep playing The Crew, the cutscenes are all at 60FPS, and the graphics are great. And going fast is fun.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Yeah... 30fps is just not tolerable for me in a game with 1st person view/quickly panning camera... Or really acceptable for a AAA title..

I tried to play L.A. Noire at 30fps on my ultrawide monitor and it actually made me feel sick when I'd turn around corners and whatnot.

I'm really hoping that PC Gamer tried to do their review before they were supposed to, and the proper drivers or something weren't released yet. (nvidia JUST released the Mafia 3 drivers within the past ~hour)