Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC

SteveGrabowski0

So how many people does it take to pirate this game in order for developers to get their shit together and not cap games because of their laziness?

41 minutes ago, Undertow_ said:

So how many people does it take to pirate this game in order for developers to get their shit together and not cap games because of their laziness?

None. Because modern AAA developers are getting whiped hard by publishers-who are retarded when it comes to games in general.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Undertow_ said:

It's not capped anymore. It just performs horrendously. The cap was just an early indication that this was going to be the god-awful port it has now shown itself to be. What a disappointment, if this is getting 30 fps at high on a 970 I would guess a locked 60 fps would be off the table even at low with that gpu.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What a piece of shit, 50 fps at 1080p on a fucking 1070 xD

Looks like the 30 fps is all my 970 could handle on this xD

Yes unfortunately like I said earlier...

they may unlock the framerate with the next pc patch but.. this also means that they have gone through the entire development and playtesting process without running the game at normal pc framerates. This means that they have not gone through the usual process of finding out what were the bottlenecks that prevented high fps scaling and then optimizing their code...

Basically if they have been running the game internally at 30fps all this time then there are bound to be a massive number of undiscovered bottlenecks preventing high fps scaling. Since they just haven't optimized it to run at high fps, it's not gonna suddenly run well just by unlocking the framerate. Not without going through the usual ardous optimization passes that most studios go through from beta-->release.

10 hours ago, Undertow_ said:

If sales are low, regardless of whether it's due to piracy or people just not wanting to play the game, the devs will just give up on PC altogether. It's waiting until they are fixed and possibly in a Steam sale before buying that may make them think a little about finishing games before release.

They've spent their marketing budget and on the PC side completely wasted it. By the time the game is in a reasonable state (assuming they don't just give up on fixing it) the buzz around the game they generated will have gone.

This game is why I still pirate

to expand on a 970 I get 40 ish fps on low @ 1440p that's a fuckng joke not to mention the controls are fucking horrendous it's very clearly made for a controller 

Edited by jaggysnake57

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Not only does it take a GTX 1080 to hit 60fps average at 1080p High, but there's no SLI/Crossfire support! It just gets better and better!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

19 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

to expand on a 970 I get 40 ish fps on low @ 1440p that's a fuckng joke not to mention the controls are fucking horrendous it's very clearly made for a controller 

I did too on this. I had to drop to 1080p low on a fucking 970 to get 60 fps, and it still has drops into the 50s. I only played it for about 5 minutes, I was blown away having to drop to low settings at 1080p on a game that looks like shit on a fucking gpu that cost me $350 less than two years ago.

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I did too on this. I had to drop to 1080p low on a fucking 970 to get 60 fps, and it still has drops into the 50s. I only played it for about 5 minutes, I was blown away having to drop to low settings at 1080p on a game that looks like shit on a fucking gpu that cost me $350 less than two years ago.

the controls are dog shit too such a shame because the game looks ok other than these 2 flaws oh well more money for another game i guess

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Can confirm that performance, R9 280X at 1080p does maximum of 40 FPS with minimum settings.

Also, the game can run at 2560x1080 (21:9) and the cutscenes keep 16:9, no problem that, but the main menu and ingame map/menu falls apart, looks like a shitty flash webpage.

We do what we can, because we must.

12 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

How does a game running like shit justify pirating in general??? Please enlighten me because this statement sounds absolutely retarded.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

On 10/9/2016 at 1:38 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What a piece of shit, 50 fps at 1080p on a fucking 1070 xD

Looks like the 30 fps is all my 970 could handle on this xD

m3_1920.png

I wonder what kind of hardware is going to be needed to hit 144hz on high at 1440p...

18 minutes ago, Syfes said:

How does a game running like shit justify pirating in general??? Please enlighten me because this statement sounds absolutely retarded.

I don't condone piracy, although if I did, I wouldn't waste my time pirating this and definitely wouldn't waste bandwidth or storage space on it.

1 hour ago, Syfes said:

oh come down off your high horse there keyboard warrior.

3 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

oh come down off your high horse there keyboard warrior.

What high horse?

Some of us might have been able to condone the practice 10-15 years ago. Back then there were some legit arguments to be made, like wanting to try a game before you bought it or the game being hard to find or unavailable in your region. But nowadays those reasons just don't fly anymore. Games have never been easier to buy, there are solid  systems in place to try out most games, there are tons of platforms out there that allow us to check out dozens of reviews and let's plays before making a well informed decision when we consider buying a game,...

The only reason left for pirating software in my opinion, is plain and simple theft.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

6 minutes ago, Syfes said:

What high horse?

Some of us might have been able to condone the practice 10-15 years ago. Back then there were some legit arguments to be made, like wanting to try a game before you bought it or the game being hard to find or unavailable in your region. But nowadays those reasons just don't fly anymore. Games have never been easier to buy, there are solid  systems in place to try out most games, there are tons of platforms out there that allow us to check out dozens of reviews and let's plays before making a well informed decision when we consider buying a game,...

The only reason left for pirating software in my opinion, is plain and simple theft.

srcstc.gif

I've read "somewhere" that the texture resolution(not actual game resolution, TEXTURES) of this game were at most 512x512, is that true?

...but the game has 10 GBs of movies and ~6 GBs of audio. Everything else goes to models, animation and textures. So one can guess, why the game is so blurry and why it can’t be fixed by any patch. They simply made it with year 2000 textures. Most of them do not exceed 512×512 pixels in resolution. Meh.

Would be kind of ridiculous if that was true.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2k/Take-two is just as horrible of a publisher as WB if not worse at times and I'm not surprised at all by this given that fact, as far as I can tell Zenimax (ie Bethesda) is one of the only big publishers that doesn't seem to destroy its devs projects regularly.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

29 minutes ago, Syfes said:

snip

The idea is preventing bad purchases via trying the game prior to buying, ie using piracy to demo a game in order to prevent wasting money on a horrible game, if publishers simply released demos this wouldn't be necessary but given their crappy track record and the lack of demos the argument gains validity.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The main problem with this game is all the the volumetric real time lighting and shadows, whilst it appears pretty, it's a frame rate killer.........

While the game is not officially a gameworks game (probably not labelled as one deliberately as now gameworks is a black mark) it has all the hallmarks of using gameworks components for the lighting and shadows. (nvidia label on startup, not gameworks).

I can run the game better than most, even so this quality of development doesn't warrant praise or financial support.

I get 60fps on foot around 40-60 in car, shootouts run at 60fps....Freesync doesn't work, as the games refresh rate is locked at 60hz, so when the game has vsync on the game is limited to 60fps, with Vsync off there is massive amounts of stutter and tearing...whilst not arkham bad it's not far off.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

9 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

The idea is preventing bad purchases via trying the game prior to buying, ie using piracy to demo a game in order to prevent wasting money on a horrible game, if publishers simply released demos this wouldn't be necessary but given their crappy track record and the lack of demos the argument gains validity.

I used to play the shareware version of games in the 90's before getting the full. Eg. Diablo 2, Diablo 1 (through the "spawn" install on a friends copy), Quake II. Those games I ended up buying because I knew they would be worth my money. Its like buying a graphics card or CPU after seeing multiple benchmarks demonstrating the performance over your current/old graphics card/CPU. Its also the same for the lyric and music videos released by some artists. The sooner the games industry realises that they are no longer doing things the right way, the better it is for us.

PMSL

10 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Again valid argument 10 years ago but there are loads of legit alternatives these days if you want to see how a game plays or performs before you consider spending money on it. Take this very forum for example. Any AAA title will have benchmarks and reviews posted here mere hours after release. There are hundreds of Twitch streamers and youtubers streaming at this very moment if you want to see how it plays. And if after all that, you want to see it run on your own system, steam has a great refund policy these days.

2 minutes ago, Syfes said:

Again valid argument 10 years ago but there are loads of legit alternatives these days if you want to see how a game plays or performs before you consider spending money on it. Take this very forum for example. Any AAA title will have benchmarks and reviews posted here mere hours after release. There are hundreds of Twitch streamers and youtubers streaming at this very moment if you want to see how it plays. And if after all that, you want to see it run on your own system, steam has a great refund policy these days.

Look at review embargo that set the release to well after the game has been launched and the fact that whether or not a game is worth buying is subjective. All developers need to do is have a version where you can only play the first level/area, and maybe 1 or 2 multiplayer maps (for games with multiplayer) for a demo. Something that is very easy and takes little time. Less time in fact than it does to cut out content for DLC.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Look at review embargo that set the release to well after the game has been launched and the fact that whether or not a game is worth buying is subjective. All developers need to do is have a version where you can only play the first level/area, and maybe 1 or 2 multiplayer maps (for games with multiplayer) for a demo. Something that is very easy and takes little time. Less time in fact than it does to cut out content for DLC.

Well it worked in the 90's :P although I imagine that's not necessarily easy to do for modern titles. I remember playing the original unreal tournament demo, which was completely broken. You could just add maps and a couple other files to the game folders and play what was essentially the entire game for free.

3 minutes ago, Syfes said:

Well it worked in the 90's :P although I imagine that's not necessarily easy to do for modern titles. I remember playing the original unreal tournament demo, which was completely broken. You could just add maps and a couple other files to the game folders and play what was essentially the entire game for free.

That's an example of a lazy/shitty demo. Which never happened with Diablo 1&2, and quake ii. And it should actually be easier for devs to make demos than it used to be, since they have had plenty of practice with DLC (they just need to cut the majority of the game out).

PMSL