Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC

SteveGrabowski0
2 hours ago, Bubblewhale said:

How to basically get screwed, hopefully day 1 patch or something.

Well, I won't say it's your fault for pre-ordering but...

30 minutes ago, biggiebody said:

Well, I won't say it's your fault for pre-ordering but...

Well, are you a big fan of the Mafia series? I'd waited 5 years just for a new storyline..there's going to be a fix anyway..

6 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Well, are you a big fan of the Mafia series? I'd waited 5 years just for a new storyline..there's going to be a fix anyway..

It could always end up like Quantum Break where a $700 GTX 1080 can't do a smooth native 1080p ultra at 60 fps (you seriously have to turn on the garbage upscale from 720p to get 1080p ultra at a locked 60 fps on a GTX 1080).

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Like how everyone should get a job in customer service so they can see how much crap they go through.

Been there done that. Changed my perspective forever. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Even if there isn't going to be an official fix, someone's going to release an unofficial one anyway.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

It could be similar to what Bethesda does: Lock a game to X frame rate as the physics engine only works at frame rate X. That's still BS BTW as that shit should have died out completely in the early 90's.

But maybe you can't have it run willy-nilly because that would greatly impact your results. Imagine this: you have something traveling at 20 feet per second (which is about 12 MPH) and at one point your sample rate is 200hz. So each cycle calculates 0.1 feet of travel. But suddenly you hit a point where the engine has to slow down because stuff's going on and now your sample rate is 20Hz. Now you're calculating every 1 foot of travel. If your data modeling was based on a 200Hz sample rate, 20Hz is going to cause strange behavior.

It's better if you do it at a fixed rate and at something the lowest expected power that'll run it will be able to do.

Yeah.... 30fps lock is a no go for me. I didn't build a $3k machine for POS quality gaming experience.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Even if there isn't going to be an official fix, someone's going to release an unofficial one anyway.

But maybe you can't have it run willy-nilly because that would greatly impact your results. Imagine this: you have something traveling at 20 feet per second (which is about 12 MPH) and at one point your sample rate is 200hz. So each cycle calculates 0.1 feet of travel. But suddenly you hit a point where the engine has to slow down because stuff's going on and now your sample rate is 20Hz. Now you're calculating every 1 foot of travel. If your data modeling was based on a 200Hz sample rate, 20Hz is going to cause strange behavior.

It's better if you do it at a fixed rate and at something the lowest expected power that'll run it will be able to do.

Look at all of the other games that manage physics with an unlocked frame rate. there is no excuse for games to have them any more (well, except laziness).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

39 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You're the reason this keeps happening. Is it too much to ask that you stop PC gaming altogether and just buy a PS4 and play that?

-------

Current Rig

-------

UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]: We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/

Check my Video Game Photos on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakedrone/ ?

29 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You're the reason this keeps happening. Is it too much to ask that you stop PC gaming altogether and just buy a PS4 and play that?

Is it too much to ask to not get triggered over something like this?

People here who are judging the developers are being armchair programmers. Let me know when you've actually worked in the software development industry through a major release cycle and then you can come and start whining at the developers for not doing their jobs.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Is it too much to ask to not get triggered over something like this?

People here who are judging the developers are being armchair programmers. Let me know when you've actually worked in the software development industry through a major release cycle and then you can come and start whining at the developers for not doing their jobs.

Pst. This kind of thing never used to be a problem with AAA games.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/9393382-The-Framerate-Police/ (counted at least a dozen of AAA titles during their times that were released with frame rate lock)

Okay.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/9393382-The-Framerate-Police/ (counted at least a dozen of AAA titles during their times that were released with frame rate lock)

Okay.

Nearly all of those are indie games. And compare the price of Mafia III to the other games with the lock. Big difference there. $70 USD as opposed to $30.

PMSL

Well anyway.

On one hand I get it. Sure, you want a superior product. You want to rub it in the "console peasants" faces that you can play games better than them. But you know what? If I were an outsider who doesn't really care about the hoo-ha of what's going on, I'm going to see a lot of people here as a bunch of whiny brats.

Do I like unlocked frame rates? Sure. Do I want to get a fast frame rate while maintaining good quality? Sure. But the moment some game has a 30FPS lock I'm not going to go "OHMYGODTHISGAMESUCKSRETURNITNOW" Maybe I'm just lucky and I'm not sensitive to lower frame rates but eh.

Maybe developers have given up on PC gamers because no matter what they do, there's going to be one rant inducing slight and the entire PC gaming community is going to throw a goddamn fit about it.

So really, this is probably your fault.

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Do I like unlocked frame rates? Sure. Do I want to get a fast frame rate while maintaining good quality? Sure. But the moment some game has a 30FPS lock I'm not going to go "OHMYGODTHISGAMESUCKSRETURNITNOW" Maybe I'm just lucky and I'm not sensitive to lower frame rates but eh.

for the single-player aspect the 30fps lock isn't much an issue. for multiplayer it's a different story. but this is PC where the sky's the limit, so why not a 60fps option, or better yet an unlocked framerate? it's nice that the mafia 3 devs actually issued a message to release a patch, but really there shouldn't have been a cap in the first place

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Maybe developers have given up on PC gamers because no matter what they do, there's going to be one rant inducing slight and the entire PC gaming community is going to throw a goddamn fit about it.

there's always going to be someone that'll complain about something. but a 30fps cap? on PC? that just doesn't make sense

@M.Yurizaki

Guess the biggest problem regarding ththis issue is that the Frame LocLock simply wont grant the superior experience most people take as granted as pc gamers in comparison to measy consoles.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I see this argument for many things all the time, and it is so incredibly invalid. To say "you can never have a complaint about a product or a service unless you've made/done it yourself" is absurd.

If you go out to get your hair cut and the person does a TERRIBLE job... The appropriate response from them is not "you can't complain until you've cut hair for a living!". YES! You can complain! Because you've had your hair cut enough times to know that they did a bad job.

When I see every other AAA development company out there releasing games with uncapped framerates, and your company is locking it at 30... I can tell you're doing a bad job. It's not my job to be able to develop games, it's the developers job to be able to produce a competitive product. If they can't do that, they're not doing a good job.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to clarify the meaning of the saying "armchair quarterback", since you clearly don't understand the saying.

When someone is being an armchair quarterback, it is someone who gives the impression that they think they could make better play calls than the team (i.e. do the job better than the people doing it). If I say "they should have run the ball up the middle" or "they should have been in a cover 2 defense" I'm being an airmchair quarterback.

However, if the average offense in the league is getting 300 yards per game, and my favorite team is only getting 80... It is completely reasonable for me to say "our offense is not producing well enough" based on their performance relative to the competition. That would not make me an armchair quarterback.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Because we never realized how often it happened. The whole focus on framerate is new. I mean hell most of us ran Doom at UNDER 30fps and never had a problem. It wasn't uncommon for older games to have everything tied to frame rates because no one thought about games running on multi-core multi-GHz processors with 100+hz monitors in the early to mid 90s. This big 60fps or more focus is really only 7-8 years old, if that.

AAA publishers just don't learn, do they.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

39 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Because we never realized how often it happened. The whole focus on framerate is new. I mean hell most of us ran Doom at UNDER 30fps and never had a problem. It wasn't uncommon for older games to have everything tied to frame rates because no one thought about games running on multi-core multi-GHz processors with 100+hz monitors in the early to mid 90s. This big 60fps or more focus is really only 7-8 years old, if that.

60fps has been a focus since the 90's. 30fps as a focus only became a thing with consoles.

PMSL