Mafia 3 appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC

SteveGrabowski0
1 hour ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Guess I'll pirate it.

:o

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

All of my nope. I'll wait for watchdogs 2 and pray it isn't locked.

30 fps confirmed.

How in the world did they think this would be acceptable?

"We wanted consistency across platforms".... Such BS. People buy gaming PCs specifically because they don't want their experience to be consistent with consoles...

well im glad steam is now forced by EU law to offer refunds of pre-orders and games with less than 24 hours after release, because I have the deluxe edition at 100 bucks Lmao.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

30 fps confirmed.

How in the world did they think this would be acceptable?

"We wanted consistency across platforms".... Such BS. People buy gaming PCs specifically because they don't want their experience to be consistent with consoles...

From a development standpoint, making sure the software doesn't deviate too much from each other when developing it for different platforms ensures that you're minimizing the variables when problems arise. If it was easier to release a game with this limitation than it is to let it run free and soon have a lot of issues that need resolving, then the publisher is only going to care about what gets the game out the door. It's either that or they delay the PC version to the end of time squashing potential issues. And it'll still have issues.

I'd rather have a stable game that doesn't perform as well as I'd like than a game that makes my computer cry but crashes the moment I look at a pixel wrong.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd rather have a stable game that doesn't perform as well as I'd like than a game that makes my computer cry but crashes the moment I look at a pixel wrong.

Maybe if it were locked to 60fps... 30fps is completely unplayable for me. Crashing every once in a while would be preferred.

5 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

If we can confirm people are playing it, and that it's locked to 30fps, then that changes my stance.

Steam reviews shows a tonne of people complaining about 30fps lock. All with playtime on their recorded.

The game is available to play where I live (No, I am not going to purchase it).

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

30 fps lock at launch confirmed by the publisher. But they're claiming they'll release a patch later on to overcome the 30 fps lock.

I might pick up the game when it is on sale, after the rest of the frames are released.

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

'We wanted consistency across platforms'

I wonder, does that mean PC also gets forced to have low resolution textures, no AA, and 900p up-scaling...

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

I might pick up the game when it is on sale, after the rest of the frames are released.

lol

1 hour ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Urgh. 30FPS is horrid for action. Someone'll find a hack.

Not necessarily. Some games just don't work if the devs codded it for 30FPS. For example there was a Need for Speed game a while ago that was locked at 30Hz. People found a way to get 60Hz, but doubling the framerate actually doubled the game speed because the physics were tied to the frame rate.

1 minute ago, Inkz said:

Not necessarily. Some games just don't work if the devs codded it for 30FPS. For example there was a Need for Speed game a while ago that was locked at 30Hz. People found a way to get 60Hz, but doubling the framerate actually doubled the game speed because the physics were tied to the frame rate.

Yeah that's true: if you have such low fucking ambitions as to tie your animations to framerate and framerate to 30, it will do that. Let it not be said that developers can't be mothefcuking idiots.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah that's true: if you have such low fucking ambitions as to tie your animations to framerate and framerate to 30, it will do that. Let it not be said that developers can't be mothefcuking idiots.

Yup. All the good developers are making six figures at Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.

All the shit developers make games.

Just a shame.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

An unfortunate truth. I have played some games that are really fun, but the game could have been so much more fun in 60fps. (I am looking at you Naruto: Storm 4).

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

Yeah... 30fps is just not tolerable for me in a game with 1st person view/quickly panning camera... Or really acceptable for a AAA title..

I tried to play L.A. Noire at 30fps on my ultrawide monitor and it actually made me feel sick when I'd turn around corners and whatnot.

I'm really hoping that PC Gamer tried to do their review before they were supposed to, and the proper drivers or something weren't released yet. (nvidia JUST released the Mafia 3 drivers within the past ~hour)

There's a fix for LA Noise for 60fps, but it affects the physics. It's locked at 30fps because of the camera motion thing they used..

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

How to basically get screwed, hopefully day 1 patch or something.

Screenshot_20161006-115251.png

You can return it if it's unopened, can't you?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Crashing once triggers lots of people

Yeah. All depends on personal preference.

This is just how I feel about it. Especially because I have a big ultrawide monitor, and the more of your FOV (in real life) the game takes up, the less tolerable low framerates become. It's why you need such high framerates on VR.

If you're playing on a TV across the room, or a smaller monitor, framerate is less important.

i've played and beaten forza horizon 3 with 60fps... it was pretty abhorrent sitting there and experiencing all the stutter, but i couldn't touch 30fps in that game. just doesn't look or feel very good. 

in a game like Mafia 3, where it has driving too, 60fps is all the more important. 

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

Yup. All the good developers are making six figures at Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.

All the shit developers make games.

Just a shame.

Let's not blame programmers for what is entirely the fault of management. Bad games, bad decisions, and bad ports are ALWAYS the fault of the people in charge because they made the choice to release the product in that state. I highly doubt that every single person making games is a bad programmer. The environment working on game development and working at some place like Google is going to be completely different. Management is also going to be different as are the pressures of development. And given the state of the Windows store and other technical issues of Windows I wouldn't exactly hold MS up as a great example of quality programming these days.

I think people should get a job in programming not because there's a market for it, programming "teaches" you skills, or whatever other reason the press gives these days.

I think people should get a job in programming to see how much crap everyone gives them. Like how everyone should get a job in customer service so they can see how much crap they go through.

30?

But we have two eyes, and we blink with both at once, so 1 fps nuff I say.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Seriously why do devs keep doing this? What is the point of locking it? What causes such a silly limitation to remain at such an age?

It could be similar to what Bethesda does: Lock a game to X frame rate as the physics engine only works at frame rate X. That's still BS BTW as that shit should have died out completely in the early 90's.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL