AMD Zen iGPU to have performance similar to an RX 460

Djole123

So, as you know, Zen APUs will bring some great performance improvements, but what about the integrated Radeon RX GPU?

40096_10_no_new_cpu_architectures_from_a

Well, some rumors say that the iGPU in the Zen APUs (possibly only in A10 lineup) will have performance that is just a tad bit lower than the RX 460. 

That would mean that if you want to do light gaming, you won't be needing to pay a 100$ extra when you can just plug in to the iGPU!

That combined with power efficent CPU would also mean less power consumption which is great.

But it will use system memory so that may be a bottleneck.

Source:

http://en.yibada.com/articles/141785/20160715/amd-zen-apu-performance-radeon-rx-460-polaris-gpu.htm

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Looks like AMD might become a strong competitor in the gaming laptops market with iGPU and GPU CF.

It all depends on the price. If they make Zen+RX APU at a reasonable price it would smoke Intel when it comes to budget computers.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I really hope this is the case.  Crossfire and AMD dual graphics seem to scale fairly well so I could see getting rather good performance out of a gaming quality Zen and an RX480 running dual graphics mode.  I just hope that they actually enable the functionality instead of relying on DX12 multi gpu only as I don't foresee myself doing dx12 gaming for a couple years.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Just now, Prysin said:

what does that slide has to do with iGPUs?

IDK. It was chosen completely randomly just so I could make the post look a little bit bigger.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Cracklingice said:

I really hope this is the case.  Crossfire and AMD dual graphics seem to scale fairly well so I could see getting rather good performance out of a gaming quality Zen and an RX480 running dual graphics mode.  I just hope that they actually enable the functionality instead of relying on DX12 multi gpu only as I don't foresee myself doing dx12 gaming for a couple years.

Dual graphics has always ran with only the lowest end cards and with cards of similar performance to the igpu in the apu. The a10 7850k could only run dual graphics with an r7 250. For this reason I think zen will only run dual graphics with a rx 460. It most probably won't run dual graphics with a 480.

Just now, david cassar said:

Dual graphics has always ran with only the lowest end cards and with cards of similar performance to the igpu in the apu. The a10 7850k could only run dual graphics with an r7 250. For this reason I think zen will only run dual graphics with a rx 460. It most probably won't run dual graphics with a 480.

Possible - but on laptops that would be sick

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

It all depends on the price. If they make Zen+RX APU at a reasonable price it would smoke Intel when it comes to budget computers.

I don't think price is much of a problem, this is AMD we're talking about here. It's the power consumption we should be worried about.

Praise Duarte!

Just now, Mauri said:

I don't think price is much of a problem, this is AMD we're talking about here. It's the power consumption we should be worried about.

460 is confirmed at 60W and the APU should be 90W

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Possible - but on laptops that would be sick

Hella sick. I'm personally pretty excited for this. An integrated desktop gpu which is able to pull of 1080p medium settings and a decent cpu for around 150$ is quite a good deal. Not to mention all the possibilities of mini itx builds.

Just now, Mauri said:

Actually it's both. The engineering sample of Zen CPUs had a 65-95W TDP, but I expect a tad bit more with that beefy iGPU. But not as much as when you plug in an actual 460.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

If anyone of you thinks RX 460 is going to perform like an R9 380, prepare to be dissapointed. It's got less than 40% the SPs of an RX 480 so I just can't see it perform like the 380 which is 60% 480

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Cool. GTX 950 performance in a much smaller package. 

It *should* be more than that, follow the trend of 480 = 970~ and 470 = <970 and >960

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It *should* be more than that, follow the trend of 480 = 970~ and 470 = <970 and >960

Well it's not a full fledged RX 460. It's going to be bottlenecked because it uses system memory rather then it's own memory, also it won't be exactly 460 performance, it'll be a bit lower. So it is essentially GTX 950 performance.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, david cassar said:

I suppose it could be locked to the 460, but in the past it had a range of GPUs that would work didn't it?

They should bring back cartridge CPUs.  Make the APU like 5 to 6 inches long by 3 to 4 inches tall with full RX480 die but uses system ram.

Just now, Djole123 said:

Well it's not a full fledged RX 460. It's going to be bottlenecked because it uses system memory rather then it's own memory, also it won't be exactly 460 performance, it'll be a bit lower. So it is essentially GTX 950 performance.

You do realise its the same performance, not the same gpu. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

3 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

I suppose it could be locked to the 460, but in the past it had a range of GPUs that would work didn't it?

They should bring back cartridge CPUs.  Make the APU like 5 to 6 inches long by 3 to 4 inches tall with full RX480 die but uses system ram.

But that's gonna dissipate a TON of heat. It would be sub 9590 TDP, so it would need a water cooler. And they cost, so it's not suitable for budget builds.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

But that's gonna dissipate a TON of heat. It would be sub 9590 TDP, so it would need a water cooler. And they cost, so it's not suitable for budget builds.

Well maybe not cartridge because it would probably not handle a large cooler well, but still make the chips BIG with lots of power! :)  BTW, large air coolers can dissipate large amounts of power.  It should be possible to cool even 450 watts TDP on air.  Although I don't know how a CPU die would deal when the GPU die is putting out 80°C right next to it.  Maybe this could never happen. :( 

Although - keep in mind that GPU coolers are terribly inefficient.  Even the aftermarket solutions like windforce are stuck in the constraints of a certain number of PCIE slots.  A CPU sized cooler like the Noctua ND-15 is capable of much better heat dissipation.

welp we can say good bye to intel competing in the igpu front if this is true

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Damn if it handles games well like LoL, Dota 2 and CS:GO this one might be their golden ticket to get into the asian market.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Not really. The a10 5800k could run either the hd 6570 or 6670 (both being basically the same card just with different clock speeds). The a10 7850k could only run dual graphics with the r7 250 and nothing else. Here is a site with some pretty interesting information : http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recommended_graphics_cards_for_AMD_dual-graphics.html