ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I do pc work every now and again. I move my pc all the way downstairs just because my room has carpet which apparently is bad. Even when I do start working I try to touch the metal of the PC to ground myself. I have had no problems in the past in the 4 or 5 pc jobs I've done. I am ordering a simple braided psu extension kit and really don't want to have to move my PC to install it. After seeing Linus in whole room water cooling mess around with those PCs in a carpeted room while they are on, I'm starting to wonder if I take it too seriously. Does it really matter that bad, I've never even heard of someone breaking something due to ESD. Should I even move my pc when I need to install my braided extensions?

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

Dont need to move it. honestly it will be okay. I installed both my 7950s on carpet with socks on. Install and change ram ALL the time on the carpet with socks on. Id honestly only move to wood if building a whole pc. 

but my parts are not under warranty. probably should do it on the wood, but its honestly not a big deal. new parts have ESD protection

the static shock could cause damage to components. the way i see it, better safe then sorry

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

today its exaggerated

Every sensitive part on pcb has protections now.

I doubt its a problem but even if it happens with only every 100 PC its still good that they are warning us from it so we know atleast that the risk is there

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Yeah plenty of people have killed their components due to ESD. Just make sure you touch your metal case every few minutes and you will be safe.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think linus wears an antistatic wriststrap on his ankle and yeah it's exaggerated but really better safe than sorry

today its exaggerated

Every sensitive part on pcb has protections now.

Not really. Most components have no protection to ESD. It's just a matter of it being exaggerated. Like for instance the chance of dying by shark.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

It is exaggerated. But, better safe than sorry, right?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Not really. Most components have no protection to ESD. It's just a matter of it being exaggerated. Like for instance the chance of dying by shark.

Most components dont have protection because they dont need them. Ones that need them have.

You know that thing when you touch someone and it goes ZAP! Thats the thing you should worry about... as long as you dont shuffle around on the carpet with your gummy shoes you're fine.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I think linus wears an antistatic wriststrap on his ankle

At least that's what he says he does (Feel like doing air quotes whilst I say that).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

For the price and the little inconvenience that they cause, why wouldn't you use one? It's $5 that insures your potentially thousands of dollars worth of computer components. Of course, everyone has their own opinion, but just because "in X years it's never happened to me" doesn't mean it can never happen.

Don't use it and no problem, just touch the case with the PSU in it over and over and over.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I merrily wander around my carpeted house all day and never get a static shock off anything, only time I ever get them is supermarket trolleys and car doors. I really do not feel the need for one, first thing you generally touch is the case, then I sit or stand in one position while putting something together, nothing going to build up much static there really. 

For the price and the little inconvenience that they cause, why wouldn't you use one? It's $5 that insures your potentially thousands of dollars worth of computer components.

LITTLE inconvenience?  Drag one once over your "potentially thousandsof dollars worth of components" then come back and say it is a LITTLE inconvenience.

"This too shall pass"

I find that they are by no means necessary. I even swapped hard drives out in a room with carpet floors (don't call me stupid, I know it wasn't the greatest idea) and did not do any damage. All I did was touch the case at the beginning of the process and did not walk around.

LITTLE inconvenience?  Drag one once over your "potentially thousandsof dollars worth of components" then come back and say it is a LITTLE inconvenience.

What kind of wrist straps are you using? Mine is velcro with a plastic covered metal snap to connect it and a gator clip on the other end. I just clipped mine onto my PSU that was plugged in and turned off and it stayed out of the way just fine.

What kind of wrist straps are you using?

None.

But the kind I mean have a 'curly' cable between your wrist and whatever it is clipped to. It's this cable that I can imagine getting dragged over components.

heatsinkinstln-1-rev2.jpg

Wore them in the past and had a dread fear of that happening, quite probably the chances of this happening is very small but so (in Scotland:humidity) is the chance of ESD damage.

"This too shall pass"

I'd have to say that's carelessness on your part/the user's part.

I built my computer, and then swapped out GPUs later on with zero issues.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

i build my pc on the floor constantly touching metal (screwdrivers, lol) and my case (690 iii), its all good

I built my computer, and then swapped out GPUs later on with zero issues.

Likewise, only I didn't have an anti-static strap on.

If you want to wear one go ahead .  I just feel that sometimes people are too 'precious' about these things. Normal precautions (not 'scuffing' on carpets, clapping the dog etc) and periodicly touching the case are perfectly adequate (IN MY CLIMATE)

The damaging equipment hasn't happened to me , but it did concern me.

"This too shall pass"

Likewise, only I didn't have an anti-static strap on.

Strap on?  lol

You only need to be concerned about ESD in dry or very cold climates