ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

They do that kinda stuff at your school? Thats pretty dope.

It's after highschool. 1800 hours of computer stuff and then you can go and get a job.

I have never used one, though I cant see why people might do. I usually place my PSU into the case before anything else, plug it in and switch it on at the mains, but not at the PSU itself. It grounds the entire case and whatever is inside. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Linus happens to work in an environment where he gets plenty of static shocks (carpet and lino floors)

That's why he uses anti-static stuff/ endorses it.

When Linus was working at NCIX he had to ground himself on a power supply before he could use his computer because the amount of static he generated made the computer crash when he touched the mouse.

Me on the other hand, I have never had an electronic discharge in my house (wooden floors).

So it's not a concern for me.

It all depends on where you are.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Anti static is something that everyone should do, but most do half-assedly, myself included. If you are working at a business that makes custom systems, however, you had better make damn certain that you're doing everything you can to make sure you don't kill a part.

I belive you

building pc's for the past 5 years,never experienced that ......even with expensive components.... although it is always safer to touch a psu plugged into a socket first 

Any one that thinks just because person has common sense and never experiences static shocks is delusional if he thinks that means his exposed electronics are safe. 

It takes many many thousands of volts (with very low amperage) to feel a static shock.   It takes an amazingly low amount of voltage to destroy the pathways in an integrated circuit in modern electronics.   Static at this low level will not be felt.   It's not an opinion; it's verifiable.    Look it up.  

"I can't see and feel it so it's not there" is a pretty ignorant point of view.  

Static is a much smaller problem than it used to be. Going back a few years, manaufacturers of chips wouldn't put protective circuitry on the pins to save money. Now they do because electronics is becomming more mainstream.

I don't own an anti-static wristband, but I only work on hard flooring and touch something grounded every so often just in case.

The circle jerk about safety is forreals here.

Fireworks building requires you to touch a grounded copper plate before entering the building to remove built up static electricity. They do not wear straps inside the building for added protection. Why? It's unnecessary.

You do realize that when all of this stuff is build its dont in a static free environment with all ESD safe tools right? Same thing with most electronics. Matias had a pic of workers wearing esd safe gloves when assembling their keyboards because they had USB hubs in them.

Also motherboards and other PC components are built with a certain resistance to this sort of stuff. If you go on find when Toms Hardware toured Intel's motherboard department they go over how each time they try to make if more resistant to static discharge once its in the consumers hands because if they didnt RMA's would be through the roof. This how ever doesnt mean that you cant kill them with ESD.

Static is a much smaller problem than it used to be. Going back a few years, manaufacturers of chips wouldn't put protective circuitry on the pins to save money. Now they do because electronics is becomming more mainstream.

I don't own an anti-static wristband, but I only work on hard flooring and touch something grounded every so often just in case.

They actually do it because otherwise consumers would be frying everything and RMA's would be through the roof see my above post.

Built my PC on a carpet.

Safety is for the weak.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I've noticed recently that a lot of motherboards have ESD protection (my H87M), so in a way you need to be less worried about newer computers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I build mine naked, on a tile floor after shaving and waxing my whole body.

not really, but if I was building one this time of year I would wear one, once spring and summer gets here it gets so humid it is almost impossible to build up a static charge here unless you get hit by lightening. I built my current system with out one in March.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I've never fried any circuit board with static, I was doing stuff with my arduino before I even knew about static damage, my arduino is fine and I built a computer without an anti-static wriststrap or whatever, I just had to leave one of my arms touching the metal bit of the case all the time.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

And if Linus comes and says he uses them y'all gonna have an argument with him?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I always sit on a carpet when I do builds and I don't discharge; never had a problem. Ofc I don't put the motherboard/CPU/super sensitive parts on the carpet though; I usually put them on a table or motherboard box. Yes, static can damage components but I'm sure it was more of a big deal in the past than it is now. I don't know anyone that has damaged their components from static.

And if Linus comes and says he uses them y'all gonna have an argument with him?

Its his prerogative since he has an actual need for anti-static gear (from what I understand). Those who have houses with only wood floors will have no issues, especially if they have the PSU installed and plugged in (my main project at the moment makes it easy to ground myself, being an AT PSU I only need to touch the grounding contact on the power switch).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why wouldn't you spend 6 bucks for insurance that you're not going to wreck something?

Honestly who really gives 2 hoots about this anti-static crap.

I'll touch my case and that's it really, never really thought that much or cared that much about those bands.

So who really uses these anti static craps?

I opened a ps4 controller whilst sat on carpet. Switched out the analog sticks put it back together and static had shorted it out which caused it behave very strange.

As of that day i do my best to keep where i work static free.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I opened a ps4 controller whilst sat on carpet. Switched out the analog sticks put it back together and static had shorted it out which caused it behave very strange.

As of that day i do my best to keep where i work static free.

The electrical components inside a PS4 controller are most likely much worse than those in modern computers as users aren't meant to open up their PS4 controllers but it is not that uncommon for people to do so with their PC's. 

Static is static and metal is metal end off i'm afraid. If it can easily happen to a controller it can easily happen to a pc component.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I didn't use one when building mine, but I tend to touch bare metal or a screwdriver ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It's pretty standard for anyone who handles semiconductors to anti-static. It's not a gimmick, just a precaution.

Static is static and metal is metal end off i'm afraid. If it can easily happen to a controller it can easily happen to a pc component.

Please quote people so they know to reply.

That is the worst logic I've heard in a while. No, PS4 controllers use cheap electronics because Sony will need to keep their costs down for the consumers and themselves.. + the reason I previously mentioned. I've zapped a gtx 580 on it's memory with electricity (un-shielded step down voltage adapter came loose as it was attached to a fan on my side panel and I forgot about it) before and after a restart it was fine lol. As for "Static is static and metal is metal end off i'm afraid" that is just wording said in a way to make it seem like you're saying something legitimate, in reality it is just a sentence that provides no explanation or verification in any way lol.

If you want to use an anti static wrist strip, go for it; being extra careful isn't a bad thing but the post I just quoted isn't convincing anyone :P.

i zapped my 700$ gfx card today ... fml 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky