ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Why does this question STILL come up... Bro it's 2015, not 1963.. ESD Straps are like $3 USD... Put it on your ankle and forget about it.

http://ultrastatinc.com/esd_wrist_straps.html

$2.93 for an ankle strap...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

If you are not getting zapped the whole day esd is nothing to be scared of, touch something big metalic thing and you are good to go

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

do I need one or can I just try and be safe with it (stay away from carpet ect) thanks.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Nope, I have never used one. 13 builds done so far. Working on number 14.

thank you.

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

i have never used one, and while i would not recommend this, i never had any problem, and have built three computers this way with no failures

Do you need one? No, not really.

Is it a good thing to have? Yeah, I guess. If it makes you feel safer for just 5 more bucks, go for it.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

As Linus said once, possibly not.

You'll probably not zap something entirely dead in one try because of static, though it is possible.

You're more likely going to zap it and PERHAPS shorten the lifespan of the product. But who really knows.

If it's cheap, why not. It's not like they are $10+ or something, right?

The chance of damaging a part due to ESD is very low. Save your money.

do I need one or can I just try and be safe with it (stay away from carpet ect) thanks.

Please, before you touch anything, just walk over and touch your fridge to zap away any static. You never want to accidentally yourself a dead part.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

You want need one if you are careful. I remember something about touching a case once in a while.

I got one for 20$ on Amazon. My thought was, what could happen. Better safe than sorry.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

You can touch other metallic things that have some grounding. Like desk lamp. In general thing you need to be careful with are CPU, RAM and GPU because they have most exposed sensitive parts. After those are in, you are pretty much clear. But I'd still advice doing it somewhere without carpets.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You're the one that tried to equate the possible damage of not wearing a static strap to dying in the night.

Not directly (at least that's not what I meant. Anone can interperet  anything in anyway) I said everything is POTENTIALY dangerous but SOMETHINGS (not everything) have  an acceptable level of risk (varies from person to person) to me static damage to computer parts is below the worry about threshold.

Anyway I tire of this so you may have the last word.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Modern computer components are surprisingly hardy. Unless you're working with like a $40 motherboard, they can handle a lot of funny voltage spikes nowadays.

Desktop  i5-4440 -- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 -- KFA2 GTX560 Ti  -- 4x4GB 1600MHz -- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -- CM HAF 932 -- 1TB+640GB

Laptop  i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz -- 2x4GB 1600Mhz -- GT640M -- OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 60GB

Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 6 5.0.1

University MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University

I got one for 20$ on Amazon. My thought was, what could happen. Better safe than sorry.

^ this guy got seriously ripped off...

could buy 10 of them for that price...

I like having one around for the cases when it is really dry and cool, and when I'm around a carpeted environment. I always use mine in tandem with an antistatic mat, and I keep the band around my ankle so it is less intrusive.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Honestly, as long as you ground yourself frequently by touching the case, you will be fine. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Honestly, as long as you ground yourself frequently by touching the case, you will be fine. 

or a plugged in not turned on PSU

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Better safe then sorry.... If working with high quality parts I would use one.

Linus uses one in every build but that might just to set an example for newbies building their first computer

@FatPenguin I have a dynex one for $4 :P http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Static-Wrist-Strap-DX-AWS100/dp/B000V7A8EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426985932&sr=8-1&keywords=dynex+anti-static+wrist+strap

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

No but yes i have built 7 computers over the last 3 years or so but i'm not sure if i killed my MSI gaming 5 z97 because the audio was dead after i changed a fan this was a while ago all sorted now but you might as well grab one there dirt cheap so no reason not to 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER