ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Don't tell me, that you've plugged in your PSU and made a power circuit...

+I don't really get the point of using them, since the components out box are circuit free... Can sb explain that to me, please...?

Out box?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Some people here and elsewhere don't know the facts of Electro Static Damage.

There's a computer technician on YouTube named Carey Holzman, who made a video busting some of the myths of static damage. 

You might find it useful.

"If you're going to do something, do it to inspire others." -Skora

This is what I thought of when you said danger zone

I don't use a static strap and I even have carpet.

I thought this....

https://youtu.be/siwpn14IE7E

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I did, then I started using a PSU plugged into the wall. 

Never had an issue. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

ive only ever fried one gpu , but then again maybe it was doa ;) eh ? catch ma drift ? nothing an rma couldn't handle 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I didn't use one when building my pc but better safe than sorry.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

using a static strap is like having in Airbag in your car. you may never need it but you will be happy you had it when things go wrong.

I only ever use one when its not my own computer system, better safe than being lumbered with the cost of a dead component. 

I love your member title

hah congrats?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Nope, and don't really plan on it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I haven't built a single build with a static strap

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

I'd use one if I was working on a machine for someone else, and it had decently expensive components in it. Other then that, don't have a use for one as of yet.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Never have, and I only will if I'm actually in a job that requires one. I have not killed anything with static yet (but I do touch the grounding setup for my crystal radio beforehand though).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I just touch a PSU that is plugged in, but NOT turned on. 

As far as I can tell, it completely eliminates the possibility of ESD. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I do. It may not be mandatory but since I don't have money to throw down willy-nilly if I were to shock and break something I threw in the extra 4$ for extra security from the start. Better safe than sorry.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I actually do, can't risk frying ANYTHING. Not 150 dollar mobos, 300 dollar GPUs or anything else

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

They are bad for you.

I got my penis caught on it and it almost killed me!

ahhh the ol' penis in the wrist strap

I still haven't had anyone explain to me how they know that their last DOA component was actually DOA and wasn't killed because they didn't wear a strap on initial install.

It may only effect 1 in every 100 repairs/builds/upgrades but that's still a $500 GPU that has to be returned potentially because you didn't wear a strap.  I have been building since 1988 and I always take static precautions, not a single genuine DOA yet. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I still haven't had anyone explain to me how they know that their last DOA component was actually DOA and wasn't killed because they didn't wear a strap on initial install.

It may only effect 1 in every 100 repairs/builds/upgrades but that's still a $500 GPU that has to be returned potentially because you didn't wear a strap.  I have been building since 1988 and I always take static precautions, not a single genuine DOA yet. 

I have no DoAs... and I don't wear anti-static gear.

I have no DoAs... and I don't wear anti-static gear.

and?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just don't discharge electricity on your components... you don't need a wrist strap to keep from doing that.

Just don't discharge electricity on your components... you don't need a wrist strap to keep from doing that.

But that still doesn't show that it's safe to not wear one.  It's possible that so far you have been lucky and nothing more.

But that still doesn't show that it's safe to not wear one.  It's possible that so far you have been lucky and nothing more.

It is safe for me.  Luck has nothing to do with it.

If you understand where you don't want to discharge excess static electricity, the odds of accidental discharge are slim to none. 

I also use a magnetic screwdriver :lol:

It is safe for me.  Luck has nothing to do with it.

If you understand where you don't want to discharge excess static electricity, the odds of accidental discharge are slim to none. 

I also use a magnetic screwdriver :lol:

But wheres the proof.  This is what I am asking for. Just saying you know how to discharge yourself doesn't mean anything. All you have said so far is that you haven't had any DOA components.   What about all those DOA's that other people talk about when building/upgrading systems? there is no proof they where actually DOA and weren't killed by static. 

Many people have said they don't use straps and haven't had issues, but also many people have had issues. So all this proves is that the figure is low at worse and none existent at best.  To say that straps aren't necessary is erroneous until we have proof.