360 AIO - Fan replacement question

bigjoe

Hi,

I've seen posts suggesting it's doable, but I'm concerned about whether I would significantly lose performance or quietness if I replace the fans on the radiator.

I have the Montech King 95 Pro case and have purchased three Montech AX120 RGB fans to replace the radiator fans on top of the case, so that all the case fans and RGB will match.

I understand that a simple air cooler would suffice, but I chose an AIO for the aesthetics.

The store near me has the Lian Li Galahad II LCD 360 ARGB in stock, and I'm considering replacing its fans as well if I can. I'm wondering if this AIO is better or similar to the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB cooler, which I would need to order and wait for. The price difference is not an issue, especially if I get a cool customizable screen. Which would you suggest if price wasn't an issue.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F

GPU: Asus strix 4080 super

your support is greatly appreciated 

use w/e fan you want. ya you can lose proformace but depends up to you. and the best fans at like maybe2-3c better so not a hell of a lot of difrance.

aio vs aio are largy the same with a few expectations there and there.  were one will cheat and use hier rpm fans...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

use w/e fan you want. ya you can lose proformace but depends up to you. and the best fans at like maybe2-3c better so not a hell of a lot of difrance.

aio vs aio are largy the same with a few expectations there and there.  were one will cheat and use hier rpm fans...

The Arctic Liquid Freezer range tend be a bit better, as they are thicker radiators than most AIO.  Then again once you get past 240mm its rather diminishing returns, as the barrier becomes the inability to get enough water moving across the CPU, rather than expelling it from the radiator.

The 7800X3D really isn't that hard to cool anyway, so you probably aren't really losing anything on a 360mm, even if you replace the fans with ones that perform worse.  I mean the ideal is to not run the fans at 100% to begin with, but run them fast enough to sufficiently cool while not being annoyingly loud.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The Arctic Liquid Freezer range tend be a bit better, as they are thicker radiators than most AIO.  Then again once you get past 240mm its rather diminishing returns, as the barrier becomes the inability to get enough water moving across the CPU, rather than expelling it from the radiator.

The 7800X3D really isn't that hard to cool anyway, so you probably aren't really losing anything on a 360mm, even if you replace the fans with ones that perform worse.  I mean the ideal is to not run the fans at 100% to begin with, but run them fast enough to sufficiently cool while not being annoyingly loud.

ya thats why i said some expectations. some aios have better fans some thicker rads.

argb aios are notmaly not as good as non argb aios but just depends. if you toock the thicck rad from artic and say lian li lc fans you would probly get a good proformace bump over all aios. 140mm fans are probly quieter that what i noticed thow good 120mm fans can do 2150 rpm and be quiet.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I'm performance oriented, and I don't care about LEDs and LCDs, which are essentially useless and a way to greatly mark up the price for some companies. 

Montech fans are nothing special, so you need to look at AF, SP, RPMs, and dBA of the fan, plus the radiator mass & fin density, RPM, flow and lift (pump should be quiet). Also, look at the lifespan of the unit. Fans are replaced easily. Pumps aren't. 

I know for a fact that if you get the LF3, you can improve its performance by putting stronger fans on it. This was demonstrated by YTer STS. In fact, you can do this with most coolers. However, if you can't get much stronger fans, such as the Phanteks T30, Super Flower Megacool, Iceberg Thermal IceGale Xtra, or a server fan, the results won't be worth it, especially if you're on a budget and/or the price of electricity is particularly high. If, for example, the pump is very strong (e.g. Thermalright Frozen Magic Scenic V2 and Frozen Notte, or Bitfenix Cube), you might increase cooling by only 1-2 C. There are other factors, too.

The LL and Arctic perform quite similarly, but the latter has a VRM fan and costs less. There are many really performant AIOs, but there is a point in the list where you say: "Wow, this is 10 C hotter at best than the best AIO!" So look at multiple lists, like here, Tom's Hardware, KitGuru and some others and you'll be able to find out what to buy. 

Also, some brands are crap, overpriced, rely on bling to make sales and don't like to publish their specs,  such as SAMA. That company is price-gouging and making huge profits since it's Chinese, and I have no reason to believe they've changed since I first noticed their products over 1.5 years ago. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Thanks guys for your help. I'm still a little torn on which direction to go haha its so frustrating. 

I've been researching more and now considering possibly an all black air cooler like the artic freezer 36 that's not large and takes away from the rest of the build while not covering the rams slots. I feel aesthetically the aio looks better but the price and headaches that come with them isn't worth it especially for a 7800x3d which is super easy to cool. 

Another option is the Thermalright peerless assassin 120 in a pull pull fan configuration so it exposes the RGB ram. (one fan in middle and one fan over the vrm)

Thanks

On 5/18/2024 at 4:48 AM, bigjoe said:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F

Twins

Apprentice Software Developer

2 hours ago, bigjoe said:

Thanks guys for your help. I'm still a little torn on which direction to go haha its so frustrating. 

I've been researching more and now considering possibly an all black air cooler like the artic freezer 36 that's not large and takes away from the rest of the build while not covering the rams slots. I feel aesthetically the aio looks better but the price and headaches that come with them isn't worth it especially for a 7800x3d which is super easy to cool. 

Another option is the Thermalright peerless assassin 120 in a pull pull fan configuration so it exposes the RGB ram. (one fan in middle and one fan over the vrm)

Thanks

The PA120 is indeed quite good,  as are the newer PS120 and FS140. Look for test results performed on newer AMD CPUs, not Intel! Those, along with several others, are much better choices than an AIO for your CPU because you don't need an AIO for it. Lots of other options,  too.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

I am using a Thermalright 360 on my X3D, works pretty good.

Screenshot2024-05-20084632.png.0f0ec7f7c4eaa01bedb4c16678779b6b.png

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3800C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

10 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I am using a Thermalright 360 on my X3D, works pretty good.

Screenshot2024-05-20084632.png.0f0ec7f7c4eaa01bedb4c16678779b6b.png

Of course! But it's not required...

Just now, RevGAM said:

Of course! But it's not required...

Not required, but still works pretty good.

And its quiet..

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3800C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

48 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Not required, but still works pretty good.

And its quiet..

Totally agree, and the price is perfect.