ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Please quote people so they know to reply.

That is the worst logic I've heard in a while. No, PS4 controllers use cheap electronics because Sony will need to keep their costs down for the consumers and themselves.. + the reason I previously mentioned. I've zapped a gtx 580 on it's memory with electricity (un-shielded step down voltage adapter came loose as it was attached to a fan on my side panel and I forgot about it) before and after a restart it was fine lol. As for "Static is static and metal is metal end off i'm afraid" that is just wording said in a way to make it seem like you're saying something legitimate, in reality it is just a sentence that provides no explanation or verification in any way lol.

If you want to use an anti static wrist strip, go for it; being extra careful isn't a bad thing but the post I just quoted isn't convincing anyone :P.

It's not the worst logic..But i will put it in a way so you understand. OK? static is static and a conductor is a conductor. A conductor in a controller will conduct electricity. A conductor in a pc component "WILL" conduct electricity.

Please...don't be a fool and try and make out i am an idiot OK. And putting a silly face at the end of your post isn't convincing anyone you know what you are talking about.

And yes, a ps4 controller may be worse quality than a pc component but that doesn't grant a said pc component immunity from static damage.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It's not the worst logic..But i will put it in a way so you understand. OK? static is static and a conductor is a conductor. A conductor in a controller will conduct electricity. A conductor in a pc component "WILL" conduct electricity.

Please...don't be a fool and try and make out i am an idiot OK. And putting a silly face at the end of your post isn't convincing anyone you know what you are talking about.

You haven't added anything. Static is indeed static, and a conductor is a conductor. It doesn't get more tautological than that. The problem is the destructive effect that very high voltages (such as static discharge) have on semi-conductors.

I'd never forgive myself if I screwed up my pc because I was too lazy to put on an anti-static wrist strap. I think it would be different if it took more than a minute to put one on. The risk isn't even close to the reward.

You haven't added anything. Static is indeed static, and a conductor is a conductor. It doesn't get more tautological than that. The problem is the destructive effect that very high voltages (such as static discharge) have on semi-conductors.

Oh but i have, see i am informing him now rather than saying metal i am saying a "conductor" It doesn't take a genius to see what i am getting at.

I have already told him about the destructive effect it had on my controller. But he put that down to it basically being cheap.

My argument is no matter where it is, static is static and a conductor is a conductor. 

Doesn't matter how cheap or expensive the parts are.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

So some of my parts for my build finnaly shiped to me. And I saw a copple of warning stickers that say to use a anti static band. Is their any DIY method of disgarging my self? And how cairfull shuld i be with the components?

Plug in your psu and touch the casing to discharge. Also don't put your components on the outside of the anti-static bags. 

Oh but i have, see i am informing him now rather than saying metal i am saying a "conductor" It doesn't take a genius to see what i am getting at.

I have already told him about the destructive effect it had on my controller. But he put that down to it basically being cheap.

My argument is no matter where it is, static is static and a conductor is a conductor. 

Doesn't matter how cheap or expensive the parts are.

You are not informing me of anything and you're attempt to do so is terrible. I am aware that static can damage electrical components, I am also aware that modern PC components have a certain value of electrical resistance built into them to protect them from consumers. If they did not do that then RMA's would be a lot higher and you would not be the only one claiming to damage an electrical component (a PS4 controller, not a PC component like this thread is talking about) via static discharge.

Also, it does matter how cheap/expensive the parts are as the more expensive parts most likely use better materials.. Also, you're argument is pretty terrible; you're disregarding many advances in electronics that are not 'TV newsworthy'.

Finally, I put down your PS4 controllers damage to YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO FIDDLE AROUND WITH IT SO WHY WOULD THEY PROTECT IT AT A HIGHER COST? With PC components you do mess around with it so they need to protect the internals more vigorously. Have you seen the inside of an OEM PC? They are pretty crappy because the internals wont be handled as much and they want to lower the costs (of course they will have some protection still because people still handle them).

If you cannot come up with better reasoning than what you are basing your judgement on I will no longer continue this argument.

They actually do it because otherwise consumers would be frying everything and RMA's would be through the roof see my above post.

That's what I said though (albeit less clearly), electronics becoming more mainstream = more RMAs unless they make everything more static resistant.

Last time I grounded myself with another PCs PSU. Usually I touch either my lamp or something like that. I got wrist wrap but that thing is too limiting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Also ground myself with a PSU that's on , i don't see the need for anti-static mats , ive never needed them , but maybe I'm wrong.

As i have said on other posts , i ground myself with my PSU ( it has to be on of course) 

You are not informing me of anything and you're attempt to do so is terrible. I am aware that static can damage electrical components, I am also aware that modern PC components have a certain value of electrical resistance built into them to protect them from consumers. If they did not do that then RMA's would be a lot higher and you would not be the only one claiming to damage an electrical component (a PS4 controller, not a PC component like this thread is talking about) via static discharge.

Also, it does matter how cheap/expensive the parts are as the more expensive parts most likely use better materials.. Also, you're argument is pretty terrible; you're disregarding many advances in electronics that are not 'TV newsworthy'.

Finally, I put down your PS4 controllers damage to YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO FIDDLE AROUND WITH IT SO WHY WOULD THEY PROTECT IT AT A HIGHER COST? With PC components you do mess around with it so they need to protect the internals more vigorously. Have you seen the inside of an OEM PC? They are pretty crappy because the internals wont be handled as much and they want to lower the costs (of course they will have some protection still because people still handle them).

If you cannot come up with better reasoning than what you are basing your judgement on I will no longer continue this argument.

If you buy a high quality lighter do you still burn yourself if you touch the flame?

I give in with you, it's obvious you're an utter prick and i don't have time for bell ends like you.

Keep using your products without protection and chance it, do i care? nope. Although i do hope i don't see a post from you saying you just fried one of your components due to static. Have a good day.

Edit, would also like to point out to you as you. I said yes pc may have better quality parts but that does not grant them immunity from static damage. In that i am not completely disregarding the advances am i.

My point is it can still happen.

typical Scott, you're drunk. Read my post when you're not bladderd out your face and seeing double okay.

I have a cat. he's always shocking me.. so that means either I'm usually charged, or he is. I'm betting he is the one charged. but he is very curious so when I'm working on a PC he is always sticking his head into places he shouldn't. so I strap the band on his neck and plug it to the case. animal abuse? well, he won't leave my side because he's curious. and whenever I do it he seems ok with it. this isn't always the case though, sometimes he is sleeping so I take advantage and work on the PC then.

I can't afford to fry my GPU or mobo right now (I'm broke) and this is the only usable PC in the house (usable as in clocked higher than 2.3GHz and has a propper GPU)

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Search on youtube for how to ground yourself, it will show you how to test if your grounded with a digital Multimeter.

I find it amazing that people have managed to start a serious argument about this...

Don't use an anti static strap? Good for you

Use an anti static strap? Good for you

We all have our reasons for using/not using one and it seems like a pathetic thing to argue about.

OT:

Personally I don't bother with an anti static strap. Static isn't a problem where I live, I just touch the case every so often.

Maybe static was a issue 5+ years ago when 12 year olds did not build a computer, or enterprise grade products where professional care is expected.

My GTX 970 (gigabyte g1 windforce) is basically a metal rectangle, you ground yourself just picking it up.

Stuff we use = static aint nothing but a g thang

stuff from 5 years ago, still not THAT big of a deal.

Linus advertising anti-static crap is the same as "wear a helmet" sign, or "wear a condom" sign, don't need neither. [Here in NY most girls are on birth control]

I find the best way to discharge static is to rub the mobo on my head...... :unsure:

Linus advertising anti-static crap is the same as "wear a helmet" sign, or "wear a condom" sign, don't need neither. [Here in NY most girls are on birth control]

Aha, so you're not worried about static, safety or STD's. Living life on the edge!!

I built and rebuilt and cleaned my system on a fucking shag carpet, don't give me this crap. Use common sense to not increase static buildup and touch the bloody case every so often.

Just because you did it doesn't necessarily mean it's smart. You probably won't freeze to death if you drove somewhere without a coat when it's 5 degrees outside, but it still wouldn't be the smart thing to do. That being said, I don't use anti-static stuff myself. I just ground myself on my case and work on a concrete floor and a wooden table.

Attempt to yank my arm or knee out of their sockets or pull a build to the floor by tying myself to a grounded case via an ESD strap? No thanks.

Just keep an old PSU plugged into a power point that's switched off at the wall (since the switch controls the Live/Neutral lines and NOT the Ground) and use that as a footrest when working on a rig at a table or tap it with a foot or hand once or twice and hour during a build on my bed, and that deals with static buildup - even when I'm wearing tracksuit pants, long-sleeved cotton shirts and a sweater-vest whilst working on a rig in the middle of Aussie summer or winter in a house with carpet in every room bar the bathroom & kitchen and no insulation in the walls.

The last time I used an ESD strap (wrist-type) was over a decade ago when working on test systems in an IT course at CIT, and the teacher for that module didn't really care if I didn't use the strap after the first time.

From what I have seen it seems like everyone's living and working conditions change how people view the anti-static stuff I personally use it cause I tend to shock things a lot

Even if you are really cautious, there's no point in going out and buying an anti-static wriststrap, you can just get a piece of wire and wrap it around your leg and it basically does the same thing

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I don't use one personally but they are valid if you want the additional piece of mind. Though I always shudder when Linus says "I wear one on my ankle"

No he's not, I don't believe that for a second.

Attempt to yank my arm or knee out of their sockets or pull a build to the floor by tying myself to a grounded case via an ESD strap? No thanks.

...you may have misunderstood the instructions but you are not meant to super-glue the Velcro closed!!