ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

Also if you are wearing it and you touch something you shouldn't... you can die.

The strap will neither save you nor make things any worse than they otherwise would be.

Unless you routinely happen to assemble PCs near a VandeGraff generator.

Strap on?  lol

Not a' strap-on' a 'strap    on'. IE wearing a strap.

(explanation for those who take the previous comment seriously).

OK I know humour doesn't always come across in a text only medium , but the number of times I have seen people taking umbrage at obiously tongue-in-cheek comments blows my mind.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The strap will neither save you nor make things any worse than they otherwise would be.

Unless you routinely happen to assemble PCs near a VandeGraff generator.

Why would that be dangerous?.  !00 million volts but at .00001 picoamps 's no problem (made up numbers).

I wouldn't like to be fixed to ground though: with any sizeable jolt, at least if you are free and get a belt you can get thrown across the room it will hurt like the bejeesus but you may well live, whereas if you are fixed to ground the current will continue to flow through you untill the breaker/fuse goes.

I wouldn't use this "you may die" argument as to why not to wear a strap, the odds of you getting a belt from something you are working on (if turned off etc) are so infitesimally small that to worry about that is the same as worrying about being hit by a meteor, ie it MAY happen but probably wont.

"This too shall pass"

Why would that be dangerous?.  !00 million volts but at .00001 picoamps 's no problem (made up numbers).

I wouldn't like to be fixed to ground though: with any sizeable jolt, at least if you are free and get a belt you can get thrown across the room it will hurt like the bejeesus but you may well live, whereas if you are fixed to ground the current will continue to flow through you untill the breaker/fuse goes.

I wouldn't use this "you may die" argument as to why not to wear a strap, the odds of you getting a belt from something you are working on (if turned off etc) are so infitesimally small that to worry about that is the same as worrying about being hit by a meteor, ie it MAY happen but probably wont.

VandeGraff generators are not always super safe.  Most people only have experience around very carefully constructed generators, with purposely restricted capacitance, be they commercially sold toys, or the big ones on display at science centers.  Built more haphazardly they can store painful to outright harmful potentials.

VandeGraff generators are not always super safe.  Most people only have experience around very carefully constructed generators,

Colour me MOST PEOPLE then.

"This too shall pass"

oh god..... ive been dragging my feet around on my carpet then touching my mother board and gpu trying to see the spark! not really though. if i am going to be doing a lot in the case i will wear one if i am installing a stick of ram real quick i wont.

Colour me MOST PEOPLE then.

Yep, which is all well and good until you say to yourself "hey, building one of these things is darn easy"  (which it is) and then you learn the hard way that details matter,

Most school science fairs will not even allow them anymore.

Yep, which is all well and good until you say to yourself "hey, building one of these things is darn easy"  (which it is) and then you learn the hard way that details matter,

"Most people only have experience around very carefully constructed generators" , this was the bit I was responding to.

I HAVE NEVER BUILT A VDGG, carefully constructed or otherwise.

"This too shall pass"

I always touch a large metal object, sometimes a plugged in but turned off PSU.

They are bad for you.

I got my penis caught on it and it almost killed me!

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

• 3 weeks later...

I am building my first PC today, I have the NZXT s340, So I cannot ground myself with that. Linus suggests grounding yourself by connecting the wrist strap to a PSU that is plugged in but turned off, how will I ground myself when I am testing the PC on the motherboard box as I will need to plug in the PSU to test the pc, thanks ;)

Just touch the metal case once in awhile, you will be fine. I never use em either, work or personally. 

Just touch the case of the PSU, but if you already have the cpu on the motherboard, the chances of you destroying the cpu are pretty low.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

PC components are tuff. Just use common sense and you'll be fine

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Is it me or is it just a niche?

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Not mandatory, but always good to have. I've fried a Mobo once, and I guess if I had been strapped it would not have happened. Its never happened again (i always strap now)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I've literally built one on my bed. used the boxes as little cardboard islands for everything to sit on. It was cute to say the least.

I got one really cheap from one of RadioShack's closing sales, so I use it. Otherwise, I don't think I would have bought one.

I don't because I'm careful with my stuff and I'm not super clumsy. I will eventually though.