Cashing issues Bequite PSU

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

i mean it could be the psu... but that's unlikely when it happens with only cb / low power cpu...

only way to find out is start swapping parts.

new psu first to get that out of the way (always recommend corsair rmx 650w minimum) 

ram... weird issues like that are often ram related. 

or cmos battery? (5yo system, thats not unlikely) 

alternatively: turn off xmp, reinstall windows 

I have an older modest budget system I built around the end of 2019, it has an i7 9700 and an RTX 3060ti and the Mobo is a B365m ultra durable WIFI from Gigabyte, the PSU is an 80 Plus gold bequite 600W . I recently started having an issue were the whole system black screens and restarts. At first in a few games, then later in all games and then I thought well my GPU has bit the dust, so I removed that and went to onboard graphics, but the computer still black screens and resets on a Cinebench run. My suspicions are that the PSU is going out. I was trying to gain some other opinions as to what else could cause this and what else I could check. The ram and the GPU both work on my old 6th gen HP media rig, so they both have been eliminated as a possible issues. I don't have another system this 9th gen chip can go in to test it. Would you buy a PSU and try that to eliminate it as a possibility? I was thinking that would be one of the cheaper things I could buy and try out. I don't have a tester currently. Let me know if you have an suggestions I could try, it does have a 500GB NVME SSD, I thought maybe that might be going out, so I rebooted the OS back from windows 11 to Windows 10 and reinstalled the Graphics drivers and other shit fresh on a 1tb SSD, but could that NVMe be malfunctioning and causing my issues? It just blows my mind that the Bequite PSU is possibly going out, but I guess it's possible, it has been around 5 years. 

Does it ever do it at idle ?

Overheating?

Give it a clean out, reseat and paste the CPU, go to minimal barebones config and remove any unnecessary components, one stick of RAM and boot drive only. Make sure all PSU connectors fully seated in, no cables damaged etc. Check fans and pumps are running.

Remove any overclocking settings if applicable.

Leave the case open in case an airflow issue.

Boot into safe mode or even a rescue/live disk, see if stable at idle.

Then gradually load it up with some benchmarks. Keep an eye on your temps and sensors as you do so.

Yeah I tried that but it will die right away as soon at I tax the CPU heavy in any way like start Cinebench run . I could try doing a cold run shut down let it cool down all the way and see if that makes the test run a little longer, but the temp showing on the core max on the Fan control program currently are like 30C at idle, I have a 120mm tower cooler on a 65w chip so IDK, but it just dies under heavy load but has run for hours surfing the web or watching YouTube videos or doing lower stress activities. 

i mean it could be the psu... but that's unlikely when it happens with only cb / low power cpu...

only way to find out is start swapping parts.

new psu first to get that out of the way (always recommend corsair rmx 650w minimum) 

ram... weird issues like that are often ram related. 

or cmos battery? (5yo system, thats not unlikely) 

alternatively: turn off xmp, reinstall windows 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I did a lot of that like I have eliminated the ram as the issue it runs just fine in my 6th gen HP computer and so does the GPU both are alive and well. But I have no way to test the CPU or the PSU or Motherboard for that matter, so yeah IDK this just screams power delivery issue to me, I bet if I had a tester that thing would fail, it is one of their cheaper nonmodular units, so it might be hanging on by a thread, I put tons of miles on this things during Corvid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed it and got it passing stress tests and it was absolutely 100% that bequite PSU changed it out with the RM 750W 80 plus gold corsair modular unit and I'm back in the game. 🙂