Rockit 88 Kickstarter funded: Intel CPU Delid Ttool

goodtofufriday

I was going to back this up instantly ... but $20 shipping :( I will need to get this trough my head first. I may as well rather use normal vice.

3 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Makes sense. Also sucks. Any pictures? Sounds like an insane or asinine setup.

here are some crappy phone pics i took yesterday. In the middle of another tear down currently.

elmn5ZF.jpg?1
X4S9RBe.jpg?1

build log here http://www.overclock.net/t/1591335/build-log-the-edge-of-sanity-caselabs-s8-delid-6700k-sli-980tis-ek-bp-ac-and-more/0_20

5 hours ago, SuperShires said:

Say if I bought this tool and de-lidded my 4770k, could I use any TIM?

Yes i delided my i5 4570 even tough it doesnt overheat that much and saved between 5-9 Celsius using arctic silver 5 versus stock so definately you can, use thin razorblade or the tap method watch out for signs to know which side has the small regulators on you dont wanna hit on that side or cut with the blade too deep

I would buy one.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 hours ago, WereCat said:

I was going to back this up instantly ... but $20 shipping :( I will need to get this trough my head first. I may as well rather use normal vice.

I dont see the shipping cost or the planned price?

4 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

When you go into checkout and choose your country it will display shipping cost.

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Need to log into kick-started to see the reward teirs. It's 35$+shipping

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

21 hours ago, EdgeOfSanity said:

yes, but using anything but a liquid metal TIM such as CLU between the die and the ihs basically defeats the purpose. See linus's 6700k delid video and read the comments about how poorly he did it.

actually , i used nt h1 as TIM on my 4.6ghz 3770k and lost 15 degrees of my load temps...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

22 hours ago, sof006 said:

Is there any rules against advertising a product to break a warranty on a piece of hardware like this?

Is Intel likely to get their pants in a twist over this is what I am getting at.

I doubt it. They'll just say, go ahead, but you will void your warranty. 

Not to mention the extra sales have people have to replace their dead CPUs.

- snip-

This tool looks pretty cool, I'm not sure how people fuck it up, I did my 3770k on a kitchen table with a boxcutter being very careful. As for TIM options, I cant even remember what's on mine anymore, I think mx-2 or mx-4. You do not need a liquid metal TIM to do this, but you do want to apply the TIM like you would apply a liquid metal TIM, aka spread it out manually and thinly across the die, you should also use this method with gpu dies.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 4/1/2016 at 5:08 PM, EdgeOfSanity said:

yes, but using anything but a liquid metal TIM such as CLU between the die and the ihs basically defeats the purpose. See linus's 6700k delid video and read the comments about how poorly he did it.

Yes, read the highly sophisticated comments from the engineers, plumbers, electricians, or pretty much an expert about anything Linus does, to explain how Linus is "wrong".

Cool thing I would definitely like to try it out sometime. xD

New Stretch goal of $3000. If it is met, the relid attachment will be included for all backers! Also, the previous stretch goal of $2400 was met! So backers can now choose whether they want the black or white delidder tool. Awesome stuff xD

This has to be deadly precise. Surprised it didnt happen sooner. Deciding has been going on for longer than it will be going tobe going on (Intel planning to remove thermal material by the time we get Canonlake (or the one after) right ?)

It is pretty cheap to be honest and the goal surprised me a lot $600 LOL. Lowest goal ive seen for something relatively popular/known in enthusiast world.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

On 4/2/2016 at 0:06 PM, Watermelon Guy said:

Yes, read the highly sophisticated comments from the engineers, plumbers, electricians, or pretty much an expert about anything Linus does, to explain how Linus is "wrong".

Poor attempt at trolling. Try harder next time.

Testing the relid tool on 1150/1151 socket CPUs. Results are promising.

20160406_100148.jpgrelid_test(2).png

4 minutes ago, RockitCool said:

Testing the relid tool on 1150/1151 socket CPUs. Results are promising.

Nice work on the product design. Look's to be a very easy way to get more people into enthusiast overclocking. I must ask though. Do you intend on launching this as a retail product? Or is it only for kickstarter supporters? Given a lot of the recent stories about failed kickstarters, I am hesitant about spending money on something without seeing third party reviews. Basically what I am asking is, will there be a way to purchase this device AFTER the kickstarter is finished?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well I'm sold. I've always wanted to delid my cpu, but have been too much of a chicken to attempt it. I'm really hoping it hits the relid goal. 

14 hours ago, MageTank said:

Nice work on the product design. Look's to be a very easy way to get more people into enthusiast overclocking. I must ask though. Do you intend on launching this as a retail product? Or is it only for kickstarter supporters? Given a lot of the recent stories about failed kickstarters, I am hesitant about spending money on something without seeing third party reviews. Basically what I am asking is, will there be a way to purchase this device AFTER the kickstarter is finished?

Thanks! Our hope is that by making the process simple, easy, and safe that it will inspire more enthusiasts.

We are launching an online store shortly after our kickstarter is finished, however the relid attachment will be sold separately. As for reviews, we sent ten prototypes out for testing and the results of that can be found in this thread. Note: the comic sans is a special feature for prototypes only. :D

On 4/1/2016 at 4:08 PM, EdgeOfSanity said:

Arctic silver 5 or some other similarly performing paste will work better than intel's dried up paste...

Just now, RockitCool said:

Thanks! Our hope is that by making the process simple, easy, and safe that it will inspire more enthusiasts.

We are launching an online store shortly after our kickstarter is finished, however the relid attachment will be sold separately. As for reviews, we sent ten prototypes out for testing and the results of that can be found in this thread. Note: the comic sans is a special feature for prototypes only. :D

Wonder if it could be distributed through performance PCs

I have done some research and came to the conclusion that the vice only method looks pretty safe?

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Arctic silver 5 or some other similarly performing paste will work better than intel's dried up paste...

I think any thermal grease in general will.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, RockitCool said:

Alright, I am convinced. Going against my own personal rules, i backed the project. I really hope you guys succeed with this product. Even as a hardware enthusiast, delidding is something that has always worried me when attempting to take a blade or vice to my $300+ CPU's. I am certain others have this exact same fear. If this product catches on, we might be able to put that fear to rest, and start recommending safe delids for people that absolutely need it. Many times I have seen bad luck chips with air bubbles under the IHS, or bad coverage in general.

I am interested in seeing how the relid tool works. I had plans of just coating the edge of the IHS with nail polish to keep it held in place, but if the relid tool works great, I might pick one of those up as well.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.