Rumor: Nvidia’s Pascal Architecture Is In Trouble With Asynchronous Compute

Mr_Troll

Rumor: Nvidia’s Pascal Architecture Is In Trouble With Asynchronous Compute

According to a report published by Bitsandchips.it, Nvidia’s upcoming Pascal architecture will not be significantly better at Async Compute than its predecessor (Maxwell). Needless to say, this one is 100% a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt. Pascal architecture will be landing sometime later this year and improves upon Maxwell with far better FP64 support amongst a plethora of other things. The report further mentions that Nvidia is hoping to win this round by raw performance numbers alone.

Nvidia Pascal GTX 1080, GTX 1070, GTX 1060 GPUs WCCFtech

Pascal architecture allegedly facing difficulty with asynchronous compute

Asynchronous compute has been a deal sweetener for Radeon buyers ever since the DirectX 12 API hit the stage. AMD is currently leading in all DirectX 12 benchmarks available on the market right now and this is solely due to the fact that its GPUs can process ASync concurrently. Interestingly, Nvidia GPUs perform much better without ASync turned on. This is probably due to the fact that Nvidia has disabled ASync from their driver suite due to the fact that its GPUs cannot process ASync concurrently on the hardware level, rather they need context switching which is expensive in terms of frame rate. Geforce GPUs instead rely on a technique called pre-emption. Which is why you see frame rates actually being unpredictable when ASync is forced.

Asynchronous Shaders

On the other hand, Maxwell remains the only architecture on the discrete GPU market right now which supports DirectX 12 Feature Level 12_1 (Radeon cards only extend up to Feature Level 12_0). This will allow existing Geforce cards to use advanced rendering techniques made available by Direct3D 12 that will not be available to AMD users. VXGI/VXAO and Hybrid Ray Traced Shadows are examples of such a feature. So on both sides of the fence, whether you are in the red camp or in the green camp, there is an upside and a down side. Pascal and Polaris however, were supposed to bridge this gap and unify full compatibility of DirectX 12. Before we let that train of thought run away however, there is one thing we must keep in mind, the entire point of features like ASync is to maximize the use of a GPU’s resources to allow the maximum possible performance

NVIDIA Maxwell Apollo 11 Demo VXGI

One reason that we think that this rumor might be true is the fact that chip design isn’t something that happens overnight. In fact, it takes an architecture many years to go from the drawing board to hit the shelves. Asynchronous Compute was hyped and became a major point of interest in the last year, which is most definitely not enough time for Nvidia to do anything about it. If Asynchronous Compute wasn’t something that was a focus when the Pascal chips were initially designed – then there is nothing Nvidia can do about it at this late in the game. The report further mentions that Nvidia also recently pushed its entire GameWorks SDK into the public domain via GitHub which could be seen as a move to make sure that all games that utilize its technology are fully optimized to leverage Nvidai GPU capabilities (No ASync + Bad Game Optimization = Bad Combo).

This article does have point. From the looks of it Pascal is basically maxwell 2.0 with improved FP 64 performance.  Why would nvidia all of a sudden release the entire Gameworks code to the public if they kept it hidden  for years? Nvidia is will  try to overcome the lack of async compute  by raw power  / cuda cores etc./

Source: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-trouble-asynchronous-compute/

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Though Pascal has been in the works for a very long time and they plan their releases around feature-sets.  But if they don't have it--then that will be incredible.  We may see a year where AMD could snatch it all up and make a huge come-back.  It's like a Christmas miracle!

While I own a GTX780 and it serves me very well, I am very glad nVidia is in big trouble if this is true.

nVidia has been horrible the past years. With the way how they skimp down the performance and their shit GimpWorks.

4 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Though Pascal has been in the works for a very long time and they plan their releases around feature-sets.  But if they don't have it--then that will be incredible.  We may see a year where AMD could snatch it all up and make a huge come-back.  It's like a Christmas miracle!

Exactly! Hopefully AC is completely broken in Pascal and AMD can finally get back in the game!

Competition is always good for us.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

nVidia has been horrible the past years. With the way how they skimp down the performance and their shit GimpWorks.

you do know you can switch off nVidia GameWorks related stuff, don't you

Just now, zMeul said:

you do know you can switch off nVidia GameWorks related stuff, don't you

But that's not The Way It's Meant To Be Played :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

28 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:
20 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

But that's not The Way It's Meant To Be Played :)

Good pun lol.

And it recently has been tested the 280X is outperforming the GTX780. Yeah, typically nVidia gimping down the older cards.

That's why this GTX780 will be the last nVidia card ever I bought. Hopefully AMD will be able to do 4k/60 on GTAV maxed out.

That would be awesome.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I expected this, Nvidia probably didn't expect many developers to use Async, these rumors probably started because Nvidia tried to tape it on at the end, and to didn't work very well, that's my take.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Ofcourse it's toxic. If you are obsessed over one brand or the other 

Maxwell remains the only architecture on the discrete GPU market right now which supports DirectX 12 Feature Level 12_1 (Radeon cards only extend up to Feature Level 12_0). This will allow existing Geforce cards to use advanced rendering techniques made available by Direct3D 12 that will not be available to AMD users. VXGI/VXAO and Hybrid Ray Traced Shadows are examples of such a feature. So on both sides of the fence, whether you are in the red camp or in the green camp, there is an upside and a down side.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I want AMD to suceed  , but people have to remember that if pascal is absolutely terrible and doesn't sell , AMD could pull a titan and basically charge what they want for everything and anything . People need to realize these are companies we are talking about .

And considering AMD needs money , i'm sure they would jack up the prices of their products if they had the chance

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

I want AMD to suceed  , but people have to remember that if pascal is absolutely terrible and doesn't sell , AMD could pull a titan and basically charge what they want for everything and anything . People need to realize these are companies we are talking about .

And considering AMD needs money , i'm sure they would jack up the prices of their products if they had the chance

we are still FAR from such a scenario...nvidia still has the upper hand at every level.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

we are still FAR from such a scenario...nvidia still has the upper hand at every level.

i know , just saying they could do it. My main point was that AMD can be just as bad asnvidia and intel if they want to .

People on the forum always look at AMD as "the good guy" , but in reality AMD is a company and won't hesitate to screw us over if they can.

EDit : this is of course a hypothetical scenario. I don't think AMD could gain a significant advantage over nvidia , considering nvidia has the laptop market , and a dedicated fanbase.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Umm, what?

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Lol, no they don't.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

17 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Umm, what?

14 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Lol, no they don't.

lol ok...

by that i meant that AMD is broke as fuck and their hot running power hungry outdated radeon cards with GCN does NOT sell...and they can't afford to sponsor much game developers anymore...therefore not many games can take advantage of all that raw useless teraflops of compute horsepower and it will very likely still be the same with async compute and all that fuzzy shit you youngsters love to beat the drum about all over the place. it's irrelevant. if it doesn't work on nvidia GPU's, it doesn't work at all...end of the story.

So you better pray that nvidia will get their shit togheter and offer full support for async compute, otherwise your radeon cards are screwed in 9 games out of 10.

Nvidia still hold over 80% of the GPU market share last time i checked, and what? 80-90% of the AAA titles that have come out this year and in 2014-2015 had been supported by nvidia in some way or another and most of them now feature gameworks stuff whether you like it or not it's A FACT..and this is all a result of AMD being broke as fuck and offering old re-brew of their old technologies hoping it will someday pay off...saving money and hoping it turns out for the best...this is the AMD philosophy...and it doesn't work in tech, never has, never will...you have to be a front runner, who invest and develop new technologies.

EDIT: ^^ i'm quite proud of that one actually, i think it should get a few like and a few thumbs up and maybe...well, you know :P that's how it is, that's how it goes...that's life...it's sucks, might not be the best for consumers, but that,s how it is...you can rally with the weak all you want, but i wont.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

For 10 years or so I've always just switched between the 2x camps starting with an Athlon 64 processor, moving to a X2 before they went down hill and ive been Intel since FX was released.

Again for GPU's ive switched, 9800pro, 6800Ultra, 5870 pro, 670gtx, 280X vapour X and now my 970, however ..... I have just bought a G-sync monitor so Nvidia better sort this async compute shit out, and even if they don't, (people forget this) games are still completely playable with it disabled

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

lol ok...

by that i meant that AMD is broke as fuck and their hot running power hungry outdated radeon cards with GCN does NOT sell...and they can't afford to sponsor much game developers anymore...therefore not many games can take advantage of all that raw useless teraflops of compute horsepower and it will very likely still be the same with async compute and all that fuzzy shit you youngsters love to beat the drum about all over the place. it's irrelevant. if it doesn't work on nvidia GPU's, it doesn't work at all...end of the story.

Nvidia still hold over 80% of the GPU market share last time i checked.

Sales aren't great for AMD and their funding is limited. That much is true. As for everything else; you're mostly wrong. Sorry. 

And please don't call me a youngster - I'm the same age as you. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Sales aren't great for AMD and their funding is limited. That much is true. As for everything else; you're mostly wrong. Sorry. 

And please don't call me a youngster - I'm the same age as you. ;) 

post was edited after you quoted it :)

Just now, stealth80 said:

For 10 years or so I've always just switched between the 2x camps starting with an Athlon 64 processor, moving to a X2 before they went down hill and ive been Intel since FX was released.

Again for GPU's ive switched, 9800pro, 6800Ultra, 5870 pro, 670gtx, 280X vapour X and now my 970, however ..... I have just bought a G-sync monitor so Nvidia better sort this async compute shit out, and even if they don't, (people forget this) games are still completely playable with it disabled

So what you're saying is that you can't continue to switch between graphics vendors, because you are now invested in a Gsync monitor?

Now you know what vendor lock in is, and why it's anti competitive. What you are experiencing is called high switching costs, where it's not just a case of buying a new card, but having to replace other things as well, in this case a gsync monitor.

I've warned about this in here for over a year.

For the consumers sake, I hope NVidia drops the ball, trips and smashes their face into the ground trying to catch it. We need proper competition, and I truly hope AMD will gain huge market share this year and next. With DX12 and Vulkan, which AMD has been so active in shaping, I think that might very well be possible. With things like async compute, and potent hardware, that is not completely dependable on driver optimizations, we already know AMD cards perform for a long time. Hopefully NVidia users seeking to upgrade their 700 series cards are fed up with the planned obsolescence, making their premium prices hardware, crap after just a year or two.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

post was edited after you quoted it :)

And you seem to have added in even more false claims/comments. 

25 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

lol ok...

So you better pray that nvidia will get their shit togheter and offer full support for async compute, otherwise your radeon cards are screwed in 9 games out of 10.

Nvidia still hold over 80% of the GPU market share last time i checked, and what? 80-90% of the AAA titles that have come out this year and in 2014-2015 had been supported by nvidia in some way or another and most of them now feature gameworks stuff whether you like it or not it's A FACT..and this is all a result of AMD being broke as fuck and offering old re-brew of their old technologies hoping it will someday pay off...saving money and hoping it turns out for the best...this is the AMD philosophy...and it doesn't work in tech, never has, never will...you have to be a front runner, who invest and develop new technologies.

EDIT: ^^ i'm quite proud of that one actually, i think it should get a few like and a few thumbs up and maybe...well, you know :P that's how it is, that's how it goes...that's life...it's sucks, might not be the best for consumers, but that,s how it is...you can rally with the weak all you want, but i wont.

You seem to have forgotten the fact that even though many games are sponsored by Nvidia, they still run really well on AMD hardware. And this continuous jabbing at "old radeon tech" you keep making is mostly irrelevant. Why? Because even AMD's aged GPUs still compete just fine with the latest from Nvidia. (See 390 vs 970 etc.) 

You don't seem to be considering the relevance of the products themselves. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

You don't seem to be considering the relevance of the products themselves. 

how relevant is a GPU when it's NOT directly supported by 90% of the game developers out there is the question YOU should ask yourself...and provide me with an answer.

...and don't come with the 970, it's a weak ass card with not enough compute cores that's why it's not as fast as a 300W radeon beast.

I cannot nod in agreement with anyone wishing the failure of either AMD or Nvidia. I want both companies to bring forth excellent products. Competitive products drive down prices and bring forth superior products more quickly. And high profits on both sides will aid in above goals. 

That said, I don't think lack of Async will he an issue for Nvidia as Maxwell seem to be pretty fully utilized to begin with. Unless there's a fair amount of headroom, Async won't be able to add much even if the hardware was there. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…