[Obvious] Study: Netflix is a major reason people don’t watch network TV

Guest Kloaked

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

latest?cb=20131103014420

There is a growing chasm between people who watch broadcast TV and those who watch streaming shows. Consider that in 2015, Netflix subscribers watched CBS shows 42 percent less than non-subscribers. That means nearly half of Netflix subscribers have just stopped watching CBS. Netflix subscribers also watched Fox 35 percent less, ABC 32 percent less, and NBC 27 percent less.

Anyone remember when Netflix rented out DVDs?

c9a25c3ed0125f8a6e003bdde78da579.jpg

Aside from the DVDs, this is somewhat related as a meme: people are moving more and more toward Netflix, being the service that it is by not offering dank advertisements, but actual content people want to see.

And it's becoming more and more successful, because Netflix pays attention to it's market.

Moving on...

While the barrage of excellent new shows on Netflix is one reason that people are defecting from traditional networks, it's also clearly a matter of convenience. A growing percentage of households only get their media via broadband, so streaming is the most obvious option for TV. Plus, Netflix offerings are designed to be consumed any time you like. No need to buy more devices to get time-shifted shows.

Of course, Netflix isn't killing the networks. It's just pushing them to adopt new streaming tech faster. It's easy to imagine a future where Netflix is no longer competing on the basis of its technology, because every network will have its own streaming service (or lucrative deals with already-existing ones). At that point, Netflix will have to compete on content alone.

So Netflix isn't killing off traditional cable television networks, just like how Google Fiber isn't killing off traditional Dial-up/DSL/High-speed cable/etc. They're companies who just want the other companies to get with the times.

One might mention, like Ars did, at some point Netflix will only be competing with content while the networks catch up (and they are... somewhat); Netflix is already ahead on this by producing their own shows that people actually like.

I'm on board with this. I hope these companies figure out what their customers actually want and how much money they can make. But in cases like Microsoft and how they continually say they care about the PC platform, talk up a lot of game (literally too), but don't deliver on what we fookin want.

Netflix & Chill ;)

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

7 minutes ago, Oberon.Smite said:

Hit me up bb

Mom, this guy on the internet want to "Netflix & chill" with me.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

internet is the reason why i dont watch TV

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

haha exactly. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I think it might be outdoing Foxtel as well. On Foxtel you used to pay for it and not see any ads except for other channels and programs. Now you pay to watch those channels and actually pay to watch the ads on them as well-which is a massive rip off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I've got Sky HD, over 900 channels and there's always fuck all on that's worth watching.

That's why I don't watch TV.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I've got Sky HD, over 900 channels and there's always fuck all on that's worth watching.

That's why I don't watch TV.

Good thing your still paying for it then, I guess... =/

2 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Good thing your still paying for it then, I guess... =/

The misses wouldn't be without it. Its her paying for it, I pay for the fibre broadband which I use waaaaaaaaay more :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There's also the argument that nothing good is on T.V. and it's advertisements interrupted by television instead of the other way around.

Translation into reality: People don't like Network TV anymore because they hate commercial blocks that are longer than content blocks, and they want to watch what they want, when they want.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

In other news: 1+1 still equals 2.

This is unsurprising with 99% of TV content being garbage and commercials being soooo long ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  ). 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well the only thing's I watch on TV are Nat Geo, The Discovery channel/ Discovery Turbo, History Channel and the News plus I watch movies on my PC so IDK if I really need to watch TV that much.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

3 minutes ago, ashtaroth said:

Well the only thing's I watch on TV are Nat Geo, The Discovery channel/ Discovery Turbo, History Channel and the News plus I watch movies on my PC so IDK if I really need to watch TV that much.

Oh, so you watch the only things on TV worth watching then. Although the news is a bit questionable. I find watching the news just leads to anger and or depression, regardless of which news channel it is.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

With the volume of competition it has with arguably superior services, it is rather interesting that they are using Netflix as a metric of comparison.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Netflix is just a transitory service: Offers on demand services of traditional Movie and TV content.

A more interesting study would be early adopters and/or younger people that are actually transition away form even Netflix into things like youtube and twitch and social media and gaming as their main sources of entertainment.

That's the impending and inevitable doom of cable tv, not Netflix.

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Totally.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

17 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The misses wouldn't be without it. Its her paying for it, I pay for the fibre broadband which I use waaaaaaaaay more :P

Good man.  Just be sure to throw in a jab once in a while in her direction.  Like " With all the money I save by not paying for cable/satellite I think I'll treat myself to a stay on a sunny Greek island resort for a week.  To bad you can't afford to come too babe :sadface:, guess it'll be just me and the dog relaxing on the beach."

Really? My main reason is the ads. There's just too many god damn ads on network TV. The big networks just love double dipping... First with the fee they get from every customer's bill and from the ads themselves.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oh, so you watch the only things on TV worth watching then. Although the news is a bit questionable. I find watching the news just leads to anger and or depression, regardless of which news channel it is.

Yup. I pretty much dont waste my time on nonsense stuff on TV. Only watch what interests me. I agree with the news though. Why is it that bad news always makes good news? I guess because it tends to sell better and it informs the public. Sucks that its always the big and bad ones on the headlines but hey I guess we got to stay up to date with the times and watch out. Then again some news channels might have a different spin on things, who knows?

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

It only sucks to live in Europe because the content on Netflix is fucking pathetic.

I might drop that shit and continue watching Showbox, which is waaaaay better that Suckflix.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280