Samsung ships the world's highest capacity SSD, with 15TB of storage

wyattzx

15.36tb-ssd_02-100648266-primary.idge.jp

Samsung Electronics announced Wednesday that it is now shipping the industry's highest-capacity solid-state drive (SSD), the 15.36TB PM1633a. Samsung revealed it was working on the drive last August, saying it would use the same form factor as for a laptop computer: 2.5-in.

Source: computerworld

15TB 2.5" SAS enterprise SSD? That's really impressive, and I had no idea we had that sort of density on SSDs already. I wonder if this sort of innovation and progress will trickle down into consumer drives in the following months? 

Thoughts?

Probs costs like $10k

That appears to be a bit thicker than my 2.5" HDD, and they are too thick for a lot of modern laptops and ultrabooks...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, potoooooooo said:

Hmm...College, or 15TB ssd?

Which can contain more pictures of Gaben?

I await Linus adding 20 of these into his server.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

OK, but how does six of them perform in RAID 0?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Yeah that's like the Intel 750, thicker than an actual laptop form factor SSD. Still an impressive capacity. The writing is on the wall for HDD makers.

I was just thinking that. They probably have a far higher MTBF (or Mean Time Before Degradation to be more precise with SSD) than HDD as well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, That Norwegian Guy said:

OK, but how does six of them perform in RAID 0?

Paging @LinusTech

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I want.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

And here I sit, waiting for them to release a 1TB M.2 drive that was promised in Q1 2016. RIP ITX dreams.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Both

47 minutes ago, MageTank said:

And here I sit, waiting for them to release a 1TB M.2 drive that was promised in Q1 2016. RIP ITX dreams.

I have been waiting patiently for the 2TB OCZ Vector 180, their 1TB Revodrive 400, which may come in a 2TB U.2 form-factor from what was hinted.  Waiting on the 4TB Mushkin Reactor, but that's Q3 beginning, and the Corsair NVME drive.  Looks like all Q1 hopes and dreams are actually Q2.  Sad. :c

Now that's some storage, and fast! :D
Looking forward to lower prices for SSDs specially for larger capacity.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Yeah that's like the Intel 750, thicker than an actual laptop form factor SSD. Still an impressive capacity. The writing is on the wall for HDD makers.

At this point, the only thing HDD makers have going for them is price/GB.  In a few short years, HDDs won't even be able to pretend to compete on size.  Although SSD makers are going to have to figure out a faster single drive interface that isn't PCIe.  While PCIe/NVMe is nice and fast, you can't exactly hook up a few hundred PCIe drives to a storage server the same way you can hook up current SAS drives.  Not that I really think it will be a problem for long, there is likely something in the wings, it just isn't worth implementing yet due to cost of going with mass SSD roll outs.  Or the sheer speed increases have taken everyone off guard and we are simply on the cusp of new transfer technologies being made.

46 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

Although SSD makers are going to have to figure out a faster single drive interface that isn't PCIe.  While PCIe/NVMe is nice and fast, you can't exactly hook up a few hundred PCIe drives to a storage server the same way you can hook up current SAS drives.

There already is a solution for you (dot) too. Okay that was a terrible pun. But the SFF-8639 connector, which was renamed U.2, is basically the result of an SAS connector making sweet love to a PCIe slot all night long. And then you get backplanes like this:

Spoiler

Gaurh9e.jpg

The two top connectors are U.2, the rest are plain old SAS.

37 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

There already is a solution for you (dot) too. Okay that was a terrible pun. But the SFF-8639 connector, which was renamed U.2, is basically the result of an SAS connector making sweet love to a PCIe slot all night long. And then you get backplanes like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Gaurh9e.jpg

The two top connectors are U.2, the rest are plain old SAS.

I figured SAS would be the way they go, since 12Gbps SAS already exists, and they could likely double that relatively easy.  But I hadn't even thought of just using SFF connectors for individual drives.  The 8088/8087 connectors are already quad channel, I'm sure they could up the channels if needed.  But they could just connect existing quad channel connections to single drives if they really needed the speed.  Though it would make me cry to think of the controller power needed to manage 16/32/128/512 SSDs.  Though I am pretty sure companies will start moving to some kind of software "RAID", so the controller will simply be an HBA, but still.  So much data moving so fast.  But using some kind of SAS SFF backplane would be awesome and provide insane speeds.

On 3/3/2016 at 6:41 AM, potoooooooo said:

lol, your profile pic sells this comment. I just imagine zoidberg saying it

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

It looks like the projected price for this drive is $8000. That is $1.92 per gig?! That is crazy expensive! Then again, it is industrial grade...

That is $0.56 per gig.

3 hours ago, DagerHappens said:

It looks like the projected price for this drive is $8000. That is $1.92 per gig?! That is crazy expensive! Then again, it is industrial grade...

In what way is 15,000 GB for $8,000 $1.92 per gigabyte?

That thing looks like a battery pack.

enterprise 2.5" drives, are around that thickness. Them 2.5" SAS and WD Velociraptor are some of them.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:45 PM, potoooooooo said:

In what way is 15,000 GB for $8,000 $1.92 per gigabyte?

Got my math backwards. 15 TB = 15360 GB -> $8000.00/15360 GB = $0.56 per gig. Thanks for the correction!