Gears of War Ultimate Edition on pc is a Disaster for AMD Radeon Gamers

Smite

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/03/01/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-on-pc-is-a-disaster-for-amd-radeon-gamers/#77afe5587e7e

When it tanks it tanks hard. This doesn't look like normal jitters but down right halt.

And yes conspiracy theorists, only AMD cards seems to be affected.

Just to clarify.

AMD’s Radeon Fury X and Radeon 380 also choked when switching quality to High and running at 1440p or higher.

Surely the performance gets even worse as you make your way down the Radeon product stack, right? Oddly enough, no. I tested an Asus Strix R7 370 under the same demanding 4K benchmark, and it turned in only a 13% lower average framerate. Crucially, no stuttering or artifacting was present.

The Radeon 390x is just fine, achieving double the framerate at High Quality/4K as the more expensive Fury and Nano cards.

What on earth is happening? I can only speculate at this point, but Microsoft PR finally sent me a statement late last night confirming the issue, although not with any level of detail: “We are working closely with AMD to address a few issues that users of some AMD Radeon Hardware are experiencing while playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10 and expect that they will be addressed quickly in an upcoming update.”

That statement was preceded by the heading “driver issues.”

With recent cuts and looming issues AMD is continuing to face issues. When you are forced to cut your employee base things like this will happen. Drivers will get updated and issues will get fixed, but not having "game ready drivers" continues to be a bleeding wound on AMD's side. 

This does't seem to be new, I feel like I've seen poor optimizations for amd plenty of times. Its the result of games optimizing for Nvidia who have a majority of the graphics market.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

AMD didn't cut any of their hardware or software engineers, only parts of their marketing.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

That is most definitely a driver issue if cards a tier lower are experiencing no problems.

lol runs perfectly fine on amd chip on xb one

Tanks on AMD chips on PC

Somehow this will be spun to be nvidias fault im sure.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

this is kinds funny given how the xbone is full AMD hardware, well at least they working on a fix right away and didn't wait for shit to spread more unlike a certain hole digger out there...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The xbone is 2 generations behind of the fury (or is it 3?) So this is almost for sure a driver issue.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Probably will need a driver update for AMD by the sounds of it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Is it just me or does software/games for PC need a thing like net neutrality. I am sick of seeing games like Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 having this settings specifically made for Nvida graphic cards. Also the games that intentionally run bad and AMD cards but run great on Nvida. It is ridiculous. (don't get me wrong, AMD has their fair share of games they do this with too)

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Everyday I praise my choice of going with Nvidia. I love Gears of War but come on M$ I fucking hate games for windows live HAHAA.

28 minutes ago, NTF5252 said:

This does't seem to be new, I feel like I've seen poor optimizations for amd plenty of times. Its the result of games optimizing for Nvidia who have a majority of the graphics market.

I thought the same thing when I read this. I used to be a long time Tera (MMO) player on my old Alienware laptop which had Nvidia graphics and I could run the game no problem on med/high settings and get 50-60 FPS... Then I built my first desktop which has an FX-8350 and a 4GB R9 380 and it can't even get 20 FPS on low settings at 1080p. AMD has always suffered from poor optimization which has always made me sad. :(

6 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Everyday I praise my choice of going with Nvidia. I love Gears of War but come on M$ I fucking hate games for windows live HAHAA.

Its not games for windows live that is dead, its windows store app. :^)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

r9 290x and 390x don't seem affect , so i'm cool lol.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

28 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The xbone is 2 generations behind of the fury (or is it 3?) So this is almost for sure a driver issue.

the AMD APU in XB1 is based on GCN 1.1 while the Fiji GPU is based on GCN 1.2 - so, just one revision apart

20 minutes ago, Suicidal Korean said:

Its not games for windows live that is dead, its windows store app. :^)

Same thing different name lol 

31 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Is it just me or does software/games for PC need a thing like net neutrality. I am sick of seeing games like Arkham Knight and Just Cause 3 having this settings specifically made for Nvida graphic cards. Also the games that intentionally run bad and AMD cards but run great on Nvida. It is ridiculous. (don't get me wrong, AMD has their fair share of games they do this with too)

No, they don't.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Dam, I never seen a game run like that before. I'm sure it'll get fix soon, like every other game with release issues.

43 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I don't think this is vendor favoritism. The settings are just Nvidia effects, which can be disabled. Those two games ran bad (namely Arkham Knight) for both vendor's cards so the issue isn't just with the vendors (not saying they're guilt-free).

Yea AMD Sucks ass. Can't optimize for shit!

There I've said it for ya xD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Can we get an actual source instead of Forbes, these guys are more idiotic then WCCF.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

I just got all excited this was out and now I'm seeing it's only available through the windows store? What a terrible decision.

That's one sale they won't be getting.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

1 minute ago, BonSie said:

Can we get an actual source instead of Forbes, these guys are more idiotic then WCCF.

Source might be bad and could do with less bias but the issue is real. AMD will need to fix that chop chop. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Source might be bad and could do with less bias but the issue is real. AMD will need to fix that chop chop. 

Problem seems to be only on the Fury cards anyway. The dudes 370 didn't have any stuttering with only 13% lower average.

Surely the performance gets even worse as you make your way down the Radeon product stack, right? Oddly enough, no. I tested an Asus Strix R7 370 under the same demanding 4K benchmark, and it turned in only a 13% lower average framerate. Crucially, no stuttering or artifacting was present.

Article title sure is clickbaity.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

4 minutes ago, BonSie said:

Problem seems to be only on the Fury cards anyway. The dudes 370 didn't have any stuttering with only 13% lower average.

Article title sure is clickbaity.

GCN 1.2. 

Yes, clickbaity.