Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
4 hours ago, IPD said:

Does your S.O. hate it?

good thing i dont have one anymore Kappa

I have recently been looking into some some keyboards and I cant decided which one to pick from these 4. Can someone suggest me.

1) Steelseries Apex pro

2) Razer BlackWidow V3

3) Razer Huntsman Elite

4) Corsair K100

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

Which features do you need?

I have never used a mechanical keyboard and have been using the logitech g213 for my daily work and I want something that

1) Is durable

2) Good for productivity

3) Comfortable over long periods of usage

4) Has useful features and not something thats exciting but I wont end up using it in the long term.

13 hours ago, John macoon said:

1) Is durable

2) Good for productivity

IBM Model M.

13 hours ago, John macoon said:

Has useful features

Like enabling you to type stuff?

Write in C.

15 hours ago, John macoon said:

I have never used a mechanical keyboard and have been using the logitech g213 for my daily work and I want something that

1) Is durable

2) Good for productivity

4) Has useful features and not something thats exciting but I wont end up using it in the long term.

Kinesis Advantage 2

the 2 builds i have. 

A Q1 with Glorious Panda´s Lubed with Krytox 205g0 and spring replacement. and an KBDfans 60% with MX browns, but the 60% was a bit to small...

have my old ducky 3 and 5 as backup

IMG_4228.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 1:11 AM, John macoon said:

1) Is durable

2) Good for productivity

all of the prebuilts you mentioned are all pretty flimsy, and all are catered to gamers. They tend to have super light switches and are annoying to type on. 

also whats your budget? 

Current Laptop

Spoiler

Dell G7 7590

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | Motherboard: Integrated | RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200

Storage: 500GB M.2 2230 PCIe NVMe 3x2 (default Dell brand) | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Max-QPSU: Integrated

Peripherals

Spoiler

Keyboard: Tofu65 with Gateron Ink Blacks, Durock stabilizers (spacebar is holee moded), Doubleshot ABS keycaps

Mouse: Razer Deathadder v2

On 12/27/2021 at 6:08 AM, John macoon said:

I have recently been looking into some some keyboards and I cant decided which one to pick from these 4. Can someone suggest me.

1) Steelseries Apex pro

2) Razer BlackWidow V3

3) Razer Huntsman Elite

4) Corsair K100

i know that all these are great keyboards, but before i began to build myself, i bought Ducky, i must admit these are just excellent keyboards. used to do MX browns.. they are hardwearing, doubleshot keycaps, Cherry MX, which are great en Browns and blues, but in the liniear department others have passed them.

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-Shine7

I know Clicky or tactile is the way to go if you type a lot, but i tried to go differently with lubed glorious pandas with spring mods, and must admit, a great smooth switch in a great deck is just so nice, especially if you are like me and bottom out switches, the sound is just so nice.

I write just as well on these, than i do on my MX browns.. 

ducky can be "boring" but i love my ducky 3 and 5, and they have cheaper decks on sale... 

I am eagerly awaiting what the 100% One 3 - RGB Edition will be.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, spartaman64 said:

YOU DID NOT JUST TAINT THAT CYBERBOARD NOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭

Current Laptop

Spoiler

Dell G7 7590

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H | Motherboard: Integrated | RAM: Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200

Storage: 500GB M.2 2230 PCIe NVMe 3x2 (default Dell brand) | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Max-QPSU: Integrated

Peripherals

Spoiler

Keyboard: Tofu65 with Gateron Ink Blacks, Durock stabilizers (spacebar is holee moded), Doubleshot ABS keycaps

Mouse: Razer Deathadder v2

So I went a little stir crazy while Isolating myself in these funky times.

Decided to make my own keyboard layout from scratch and hand wire a prototype.

She isn't the prettiest gal in the ball but she's definitely one of a kind, and I can really call her mine.

MOMOKA Flamingo Linears / Kailh speed Pinks
1.6mm 5052 Brushed aluminium plate laser cut by a third party and (poorly) hand bent by me.
Some 3d Printed PLA supports (will be revised, way too much flex from side to side)
Maxxkey Blue/Cream SA Doubleshot keycaps
Durock Plate Mount Stabilizers
A metric ton of wires (that will be revised eventually for better organization)
And a Teensy++2.0 microcontroller.

Not sure what to call it just yet.

IMG_20220110_214548135.jpg

IMG_20220111_085835127.jpg

IMG_20220111_085800286 (1).jpg

Why would someone with a $5000 keyboard not know how to keep from destroying it?

On 1/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, spartaman64 said:
5000 dollar keyboard btw

I saw that in my feed at first I was like "Why would you do that?" but then I saw the red PCB and I zoomed in and then I died inside.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

On 1/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, IPD said:

Why would someone with a $5000 keyboard not know how to keep from destroying it?

Taeha made it for him, he could have just sent an email and saved 5k

PC: 

i5 8400 - RTX 2060 - Strix B360-I - Thermaltake 240mm AIO - 16GB Vengeance RGB PRO - CRYSTAL 280X - HD Plex 400w AC/DC Converter

CUSTOM KEYBOARD:

Gmmk Pro  - Gateron ink Black v2 lubed and filmed - GMK Red Samurai - PC plate - Zeal stabs

DAILY TECH:

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch - Galaxy A70 - Bose QC Earbuds - Bose SoundLink Wireless - Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 

On 1/2/2013 at 9:44 PM, Dave 🙂 said:

Hello all,

Thought i should get in early and create a central hub for all us Keyboard enthusiasts to congregate.
For those who don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, here is a quick, very brief outline.

On a regular rubber dome keyboard, ones you generally find in Schools, work places etc, under each key is rubber dome. When pressed, this rubber dome is pressed down, making contact with the underlying membrane, transferring the electrical impulse through the circuitry and thus telling the computer what button has been pressed.

A mechanical keyboard, on the otherhand, doesn't have such a set up. Instead, underneath each key is an individual switch. When pressed, this switch is forced down, connecting the contact and transferring electrical impulse. The advantages of using a mechanical switch are quite strong, firstly it provides a much more tactile and wholesome feedback, good for telling the user when they have actuated the key. This allows the user, when they have got used to it, to type at a much faster rate as they know the feeling of when they have typed a letter, and thus can increase their word count. Also, mechanical keyboards allow for NKRO, or N-key roll over. Basically this means that the user can press down as many keys as they like, the computer will register all the key strokes. With a membrane board, there is a limit.

For a much more in depth talk, check out Linus' video on Mechanical keyboards.

There are many, many switch variants out there. However the ones you are most likely to come across are: Cherry MX switches. These come in a variety of names, denoted by their colour. Each switch feels slightly different, and provides the user with different reasons to use a switch.

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.
Cherry MX Browns: Tactile, non-clicky. - Good gaming and typing due to their quietness, but still maintaining the tactile feedback (you can feel a bump when you press the key)
Cherry MX Reds: Linear, non-clicky - Good for gaming, similar to Membrane in linear motion; no bump as it's not tactile.
Cherry MX Blacks : Linear, non-clicky. - Similar to MX Reds, slightly heavier

There are many other variants of the Cherry MX line up, however these are the main constituents which filtrate into the mainstream market.

Simply post what Keyboard you're running, what switch type, TKL or not, and any other mods you've done to it.

Here is my Filco Majestouch 2 TKL:
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b1/900x900px-LL-b1b9eb9f_IMG_0907.jpeg

Also, checkout the thread Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard by @Eschew

Just got on the forum actively and came across this sub forum which seems very cool. I currently use a HyperX alloy FPS with Cherry MX Red switches.

On 1/2/2013 at 9:44 PM, Dave :) said:

Hello all,

Thought i should get in early and create a central hub for all us Keyboard enthusiasts to congregate.
For those who don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, here is a quick, very brief outline.

On a regular rubber dome keyboard, ones you generally find in Schools, work places etc, under each key is rubber dome. When pressed, this rubber dome is pressed down, making contact with the underlying membrane, transferring the electrical impulse through the circuitry and thus telling the computer what button has been pressed.

A mechanical keyboard, on the otherhand, doesn't have such a set up. Instead, underneath each key is an individual switch. When pressed, this switch is forced down, connecting the contact and transferring electrical impulse. The advantages of using a mechanical switch are quite strong, firstly it provides a much more tactile and wholesome feedback, good for telling the user when they have actuated the key. This allows the user, when they have got used to it, to type at a much faster rate as they know the feeling of when they have typed a letter, and thus can increase their word count. Also, mechanical keyboards allow for NKRO, or N-key roll over. Basically this means that the user can press down as many keys as they like, the computer will register all the key strokes. With a membrane board, there is a limit.

For a much more in depth talk, check out Linus' video on Mechanical keyboards.

There are many, many switch variants out there. However the ones you are most likely to come across are: Cherry MX switches. These come in a variety of names, denoted by their colour. Each switch feels slightly different, and provides the user with different reasons to use a switch.

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.
Cherry MX Browns: Tactile, non-clicky. - Good gaming and typing due to their quietness, but still maintaining the tactile feedback (you can feel a bump when you press the key)
Cherry MX Reds: Linear, non-clicky - Good for gaming, similar to Membrane in linear motion; no bump as it's not tactile.
Cherry MX Blacks : Linear, non-clicky. - Similar to MX Reds, slightly heavier

There are many other variants of the Cherry MX line up, however these are the main constituents which filtrate into the mainstream market.

Simply post what Keyboard you're running, what switch type, TKL or not, and any other mods you've done to it.

Here is my Filco Majestouch 2 TKL:
http://cdn.overclock.net/b/b1/900x900px-LL-b1b9eb9f_IMG_0907.jpeg

Also, checkout the thread Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard by @Eschew

Hey Y’all, I am very new to keyboards. I was trying to put some new keycaps on a Dell SK-8115. I’d read that almost all keyboards use Cherry switches-well not that keyboard! I actually had two old Dell keyboards to play with. I think this photo is the SK-8115. So does anyone know what kind of switches this keyboard uses? 
Are there keycaps that fit these switches-other than the ones on there now?

If not what’s a good inexpensive keyboard to buy with Cherry switches, so I can play around with keycaps. 
Any help appreciated. 
Regards,

Andrea

B19242F9-DEEF-4DBD-9376-64DCFB3A9F90.jpeg

On 1/31/2022 at 3:54 PM, AndreaGSClark said:

Hey Y’all, I am very new to keyboards. I was trying to put some new keycaps on a Dell SK-8115. I’d read that almost all keyboards use Cherry switches-well not that keyboard! I actually had two old Dell keyboards to play with. I think this photo is the SK-8115. So does anyone know what kind of switches this keyboard uses? 
Are there keycaps that fit these switches-other than the ones on there now?

If not what’s a good inexpensive keyboard to buy with Cherry switches, so I can play around with keycaps. 
Any help appreciated. 
Regards,

Andrea

B19242F9-DEEF-4DBD-9376-64DCFB3A9F90.jpeg

it looks to be membrane or rubber dome, not mechanical. If you want a mechanical board, what's your max budget and what size are you looking for? Also what kind of switches do you want?

3 hours ago, TokyoKeebs said:

it looks to be membrane or rubber dome, not mechanical.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:54 PM, AndreaGSClark said:

I’d read that almost all keyboards use Cherry switches

This is actually not quite true.

Write in C.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, Dat Guy said:

This is actually not quite true.

I'm at school and the video is restricted, was I wrong or something?

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

All keyboards are mechanical.

1 hour ago, Dat Guy said:

You should probably watch the video for more examples of why the common definition of "mechanical" makes no sense.

I'd argue that the video's argument was more to suggest several definitions of "mechanical" and to explain why the suggested definitions don't universally apply to all keyboards, rather than the sweeping conclusion of "all keyboards are mechanical."

That aside, there was a very clear intent presented in the video (Timestamp: 12:45):

But mechanical as a qualifier, I think, does a lot more harm than it helps. Instead, why not forget about whether something technically qualifies as mechanical or not, and just try it out, and see if you like it or not. Who cares if it adheres to some random definition anyway. As long as it feels good to you, and works nicely in the end, that's all we're after right? Let it hinge on its own merits and flaws, rather than on technicalities, because, like I said at the start, if you pull out the dictionary, basically everything is mechanical.

So unless you're prepared to adhere to the dictionary definition, we're technically all equally wrong.

He advocates to avoid arguing about definitions and semantics, specifically whether something is or isn't mechanical, because they tend to foster prejudices and tend not to lead to very productive discussions. Case and point:

47 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:
56 minutes ago, seon123 said:

people use "mechanical" just use it to differentiate "nicer" keyboards from the cheap and common rubber dome over membrane keyboards you see everywhere

Are Topre keyboards mechanical? According to this definition, they are not.

56 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Everyone knows that any attempt at a consistent definition for it is flawed

Not true, as explained towards the end of said video.

The snippet above leans more towards the argumentative "I'm right, you're wrong" side, rather than a cordial discussion. It seems like exactly the sort of "harm" the video author is advocating against.

Also, I'd like to point out that the video expresses the opinions of one speaker. Their content may be used as a springboard to launch your own thoughts from -- assuming you've understood the full message and genuine intent of the author -- but attempting to use it to strongarm a single person's opinion as a universal truth seems a little irresponsible.

2 hours ago, TokyoKeebs said:

I'm at school and the video is restricted, was I wrong or something?

I wouldn't worry about it, "right" and "wrong" definitions aren't relevant to the original question. You asked a follow-up question intending to help someone else out, and that's more commendable than nitpicking semantics.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)