Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 9/24/2022 at 6:01 AM, ZoharN said:

Any recommendations for a cheap mechanical numpad I don't care if it's hot swappable or not as long as I can get it with tactile switches (NOT clicky)

I want to get a hot swap full size mechanical keyboard so I was thinking of getting the keychron c2(link) the problem is the version with the backlight is out of stock with brown switches so now I am thinking of getting the keychron c1(link) which is a tkl keyboard and that's why I am searching for a numpad

Look out Epomaker TH21, and it supports their software to remap keys.

But for less than the price of the C1 plus the keypad, you might want to consider something like the Royal Kludge RK96, not a full kb but almost, it has the numpad, and it was everything, wireless, hotswap, programmable, a volume knob, removable wrist pad, RGB (I think theres a version with 1 color leds only.

I own a Royal Kludge, their TKL and they are good quality, although people complain their switches are a bit lower quality than Gateron, I barely noticed tho, and only can tell the difference by pulling the switch out and testing it side to side with another one, but they are hotswap so you can upgrade it in the future.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:14 PM, Narbwaffles said:

Anyone have recommendations for a good keyboard using Cherry MX Browns? I'm looking for a full size keyboard, so number pad and everything. Preferably something with a decent wrist rest if possible.

Try a varmillo VA104, I have one at work and another in my collection at home. Very solid keyboard with good build quality. They use Cherry browns or Gateron browns.

Hi, i wanted to share with my new build that i was trying to finish for over a year.

GMMK PRO
JWICK T1 v2 (hand lubed, filmed)
Durock v2 stabs (hand lubed, band aid modded)
KBDfans switch pads for dampening
PBT Gentleman clones (im waiting for the arrows replacement as there was package damaged 😞 )

image.thumb.png.a769c367479e0589823cb8b0d8389c4a.png

• 2 weeks later...

Same Keychron V1 but with TH21 numpad and new keycaps, Blue Cat PBT MA Profile

IMG_20221007_181603.thumb.jpg.cd947a219fb2f1d42e08b94690f2de3c.jpg

photo_2022-09-25_09-12-22.thumb.jpg.b50e39c2d7157cfab4e586a230d85ce4.jpg

I do so love rounded top keycaps.  Not typewriter style kaps, just rounded on top.  If only they came in pudding PBT doubleshot.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, GierooN said:

Hi, i wanted to share with my new build that i was trying to finish for over a year.

GMMK PRO
JWICK T1 v2 (hand lubed, filmed)
Durock v2 stabs (hand lubed, band aid modded)
KBDfans switch pads for dampening
PBT Gentleman clones (im waiting for the arrows replacement as there was package damaged 😞 )

image.thumb.png.a769c367479e0589823cb8b0d8389c4a.png

How much did it hurt to put in those stabs? I have a GMMK Pro with a brass plate i was dying hahaha

Hey! i have a GMMK Pro right now with Gateron Yellows (lubed by me) and Durock V2 Stabs (also lubed by me) Keycaps are from Aliexpress but tbh holding up quite well! Switching out the knob back to the black one soon! 🙂

I had the Glorious panda's before (also lubed by me) but i figured that i'm more of a linear guy haha

image.thumb.jpeg.d3317172902717afc51a5fe464657a55.jpeg

What are the most popular, reputable keyboards for those who want very quiet “gaming” as a primary purpose?

I’d be looking for a full range of keys, wired. No extra function keys or (A)RGB needed. Price isn’t something that’d keep me away from the best.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. 🙂

For prebuilts?  You probably would be better off with a high-quality membrane in many cases.

Isn’t “gaming” performance keyboards kinda mechanical only?

I just can’t imagine a membrane type being nearly as good.

2 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Well that's what the gate-keeping elitists want you to think.  You'd be surprised what quality membrane keyboards can do. 

On 10/12/2022 at 12:49 PM, CoolJosh3k said:

What are the most popular, reputable keyboards for those who want very quiet “gaming” as a primary purpose?

I’d be looking for a full range of keys, wired. No extra function keys or (A)RGB needed. Price isn’t something that’d keep me away from the best.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. 🙂

You could check out the Keychron Q6 and add silenced switches. What switches is personal preference, but some options are the Boba U4 and Bobagum. 

6 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

If you want to press more than two keys at the same time without worrying about which exact keys you press, don't get a contact based membrane keyboard. Usually they do try to optimise the layout so the most common combinations are functional, but you can still get issues when try to use certain shortcuts

:)

That actually has to do with how the board logic is programmed, not the switch type. ^

And if you're really THAT obsessed over smashing multiple keys at once...you really shouldn't even be looking at USB solutions.  You should be going back to PS/2 ones.

29 minutes ago, IPD said:

That actually has to do with how the board logic is programmed, not the switch type. ^

If you have a matrix without diodes, like is the norm, 2KRO is the max. 

30 minutes ago, IPD said:

And if you're really THAT obsessed over smashing multiple keys at once...you really shouldn't even be looking at USB solutions.  You should be going back to PS/2 ones.

Wanting 3-4 key shortcuts to work without problem is fairly common, well within the limits of 6KRO on USB, and beyond the limits of the 2KRO you get on contact based membrane keyboards. 

Odd.  Never had an issue with 3-4 key shortcuts on my membrane keyboard.

Maybe this is sound advice from old days and no longer applies.  Like not changing the transmission fluid on used vehicles. 

6 hours ago, IPD said:

Odd.  Never had an issue with 3-4 key shortcuts on my membrane keyboard.

Maybe this is sound advice from old days and no longer applies.  Like not changing the transmission fluid on used vehicles. 

Once again. Only certain combinations with more than 2 keys will not work. Usually the keyboard manufacturer tries to prevent this from happening with the commonly used combinations, but if you look, you will find combinations that do not work. This is inherent to using a matrix without diodes for each individual key.

Current work layout.. the MX-Blacks in the DK9008G2 (OCN edition) are finally breaking in, soooo smooth now.  Our internal IT team have asked daily if I could get them some Dogethink caps that I have on my board (I need to order more anyway).

PXL_20221014_155921348.jpg

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

What is generally quieter? Tactile or Linear?

I’m looking for a keyboard that is as silent as possible, while still preventing typos.

What about optical? Does that change much of how quite or reliable key presses are?

53 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

What is generally quieter? Tactile or Linear?

Doesn't really make much difference. Linears might be a bit quieter, since you can press slower. 

54 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

I’m looking for a keyboard that is as silent as possible, while still preventing typos.

Imo, look into silenced tactile switches (e.g. Boba U4), or something like silenced Topre. 

54 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

What about optical? Does that change much of how quite or reliable key presses are?

It shouldn't affect how much noise they make, although you have fewer options with optical switches. They should be more reliable, since they aren't contact based, but it shouldn't be an issue either way. 

Do keep in mind that rattly stabilisers and the keyboard being hollow can also affect how noisy the keyboard is. 

I would submit that shorter key travel and lower activation force will impart a typing style that produces less noise.  However, this may not be the most ideal for gaming as well.

Thanks for the help.

I heard the Durock Daybreak as really quiet. Same with the Gazzew Boba U4?

Im not enthusiast or keyboard pro though and would need something that come already assembled, straight out of the box.

I was looking at the Keychron Q6 QMK, but it appears that is only pre-assembled with Gateron G Pro switches. Maybe you have to contact the company for an order with their silent browns???

From my understanding Keychron has terrible latency though? Way above 1ms.

I should note that I am not after any fancy functionality, but I do want great Linux support.

I guess my bonus, pre-emptive question is; how much patience is needed to install third-party switches?

Edited by CoolJosh3k
Added note about Keychron also Linux. Fixed typo.

12 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Thanks for the help.

I heard the Durock Daybreak as really quiet. Same with the Gazzew Boba U4?

Im not enthusiast or keyboard pro though and would need something that come already assembled, straight out of the box.

I was looking at the Keychron Q6 QMK, but it appears that is only pre-assembled with Gateron G Pro switches. Maybe you have to contact the company for an order with their silent browns???

From my understanding Keychron has terrible latency though? Way above 1ms.

I should note that I am not after any fancy functionality, but I do want great Linux support.

I guess my bonus, pre-emptive question is; how much patience is needed to install third-party switches?

you don't need any patience to install switches on a hotswap board

Assuming I learn from a bunch of guides and replace all the switches: is there some keyboard out there known for low latency and low noise?