Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
42 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Assuming I learn from a bunch of guides and replace all the switches: is there some keyboard out there known for low latency and low noise?

Noise reduction: 'silent' (and short travel) switches or membrane (most silent), foam layer.

Keyboards with customizable firmware (like QMK) might introduce latency. Also don't confuse kb's latency with switch's actuation point.

So... most 'gaming' kbs tend to be loud... and most membrane kb's tend to be low noise, so try find such I guess... I believe Logitech might have something.

Currently using a Logitech G910 and it is so loud.

Still confused on tactile vs linear for noise.

I did see something about QMK. Looks like it’d be a really good idea.

The Razer Huntsman v2 has caught my interest, but don’t Razer spend all their money on marketing and little on quality?

On 10/12/2022 at 12:49 PM, CoolJosh3k said:

What are the most popular, reputable keyboards for those who want very quiet “gaming” as a primary purpose?

I’d be looking for a full range of keys, wired. No extra function keys or (A)RGB needed. Price isn’t something that’d keep me away from the best.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. 🙂

If you really want a good keyboard out of the box, check out the GMMK Pro, there is a prebuild version on their site now that you just can buy without doing anything yourself!

So the K70 RGB PRO with Cherry MX silent is looking like a winner to me, despite the slightly higher latency than I’d like.

However, 2 issues pop out in my research.

1. No sound dampening layer inside. Anyone know how easy it is to add one or maybe I can just use it on a sound dampening pad?

2. Apparently it can have a really bad “case ping”, but the only review I read that mentioned it was on tom’sHARDWARE.

20 hours ago, Jinsoku_ said:

If you really want a good keyboard out of the box, check out the GMMK Pro, there is a prebuild version on their site now that you just can buy without doing anything yourself!

GMMK 2 looks really good, but the “full-size” is missing keys.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, CoolJosh3k said:

GMMK 2 looks really good, but the “full-size” is missing keys.

I recommended that one to a friend last time aswell, if you really want something nice i would get the GMMK 2 TKL then, just a little bit more mousing room on your desk instead of having a large "fullsize" keyboard.

11 hours ago, Jinsoku_ said:

I recommended that one to a friend last time aswell, if you really want something nice i would get the GMMK 2 TKL then, just a little bit more mousing room on your desk instead of having a large "fullsize" keyboard.

I am looking for more keys, not less. TKL would be a whole lot of missing keys.

Right now I’m looking at the offerings from Mountain Everest Core + Num-pad addon as well as still the Corsair K70 RGB PRO. Waiting on an email response from Mountain to clear up some questions, while I fear a possible acoustics issue from the Corsair.

Those two options are both 100% full layout.

4 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

I am looking for more keys, not less. TKL would be a whole lot of missing keys.

Right now I’m looking at the offerings from Mountain Everest Core + Num-pad addon as well as still the Corsair K70 RGB PRO. Waiting on an email response from Mountain to clear up some questions, while I fear a possible acoustics issue from the Corsair.

Those two options are both 100% full layout.

Corsair's mechanical keyboards, unfortunately, have a  tendency to ring rather loudly.  I don't have personal experience with the K70 Pro with MX Silents specifically, but all other Corsair keyboard I've owned (that also had an aluminum plate) have had quite a bit of ping to them. 

The K100 that I currently have in my house also has this, although it has been helped a bit by installing some thick O-rings on the keycaps. Although, this also kinda defeat the purpose of buying a mechanical keyboard. 

As the entire K-series from Corsair use a floating key design, where the case does double duty as the mounting plate, you'll be hard-pressed for dampening solutions. In theory, you could open up the K70 and either add mass to the aluminium plate or add something like silicone pads in strategic places to cut down on resonance. But at that point you're moving into pretty advanced territory. 

To Corsair's credit, I can't say their switches and stabilizers make a lot of noise, but their case design isn't really conductive to silence. 

I haven't owned an Everest Core myself, but from the experience I have with it, I found that it exhibits many of the same issues with case noise as the Corsair offerings. Which makes sense, as the designs are similar (floating keys on an aluminium plate with a plastic bottom). Although the problem with case ringing is brought down on the Everest by the way Mountain added a second plate. So the ringing is still present, but not as pronounced as the Corsair keyboards. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

On 10/19/2022 at 12:57 PM, CoolJosh3k said:

From my understanding Keychron has terrible latency though? Way above 1ms.

If you're not playing rhythm games at a very high level, this is not going to be an issue, and other shortcomings of gaming keyboards should take priority

:)

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

I have gone with:

Everest Max - US-ANSI PBT / MX Silent Red

Only last concerns were latency and Linux support.

For latency I am looking to compete in tournaments and if rtings is correct about 6.5ms response time isn’t too bad I suppose. I expect my choice of switch will matter more anyway for the travel distance to actuation.

For Linux, I could just boot into Windows to configure there and save to the onboard memory. Plus the Media Dock can apparently handle things still, without needing the OS.

It is very expensive, but I have confidence I’ve made a good, informed choice.

6 hours ago, person123456789 said:

kam profile?

Good eye, the listing says XDA, but they are too similar

image.thumb.png.e9aa2382da70bc0fd18826ba4bd8f51f.png

On 10/19/2022 at 1:03 AM, CoolJosh3k said:

What is generally quieter? Tactile or Linear?

I’m looking for a keyboard that is as silent as possible, while still preventing typos.

What about optical? Does that change much of how quite or reliable key presses are?

On 10/19/2022 at 2:01 AM, seon123 said:

Doesn't really make much difference. Linears might be a bit quieter, since you can press slower. 

Imo, look into silenced tactile switches (e.g. Boba U4), or something like silenced Topre. 

It shouldn't affect how much noise they make, although you have fewer options with optical switches. They should be more reliable, since they aren't contact based, but it shouldn't be an issue either way. 

Do keep in mind that rattly stabilisers and the keyboard being hollow can also affect how noisy the keyboard is. 

I would lean more towards silent linears for quietness, but again as mentioned there are other aspects that can affect the noise your board makes while typing.  IMO most silenced tactiles (other than Topre) feel mushy/off due to the silencing in the stem/pole - In the end how much labor do you plan on putting forth in building a board, if you want to put in the time and effort then go the gambit with lubing, tuning stabs, and working on tuning the overall board.  in the end it's going to rely on your preference in feel to noise, not just most of us on this forum.  At home I have my NK65EE with Panda X's and love it, but at work I have broken in MX-Blacks since it is alot quieter (still need some case foam/filler to tune it further) over-all in the office environment.

On 10/24/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jorgemeister said:

Got new keycaps for my Tester68. IMG_20221024_113042.thumb.jpg.2ef5ffee6aaf8a1b9b321222a69a7e5a.jpgIMG_20221024_113246.thumb.jpg.b321d37504d8824611a0ca5dd3f06b8c.jpg

Got that same board, but in white for my son (used JTK Rainy Day and NK Polia's I had sitting around).

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

21 hours ago, DarthBaggins said:

Got that same board, but in white for my son (used JTK Rainy Day and NK Polia's I had sitting around).

It boggles my mind how good value this is, a bit of moding and its a solid keyboard, the switches and caps are double the price of the rest. 

Well, finally gave up on my Browns, and went back to Blues (so another new keyboard)... I was just making too many typing mistakes on the browns...:

wasdv35.jpg

I'm ending up with a collection of WASD boards though... :

wasdv34.jpg

On 10/27/2022 at 6:45 AM, DarthBaggins said:

I would lean more towards silent linears for quietness, but again as mentioned there are other aspects that can affect the noise your board makes while typing.  IMO most silenced tactiles (other than Topre) feel mushy/off due to the silencing in the stem/pole - In the end how much labor do you plan on putting forth in building a board, if you want to put in the time and effort then go the gambit with lubing, tuning stabs, and working on tuning the overall board.  in the end it's going to rely on your preference in feel to noise, not just most of us on this forum.  At home I have my NK65EE with Panda X's and love it, but at work I have broken in MX-Blacks since it is alot quieter (still need some case foam/filler to tune it further) over-all in the office environment.

Basically I want a keyboard I can just plug in and use, rather than having to install anything.

I ended up going for a Mountain Everest Max, but despite how they portray it on their website (most notable when going to order), I still have to take the time and effort to install all the PBT key caps.

4 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Basically I want a keyboard I can just plug in and use, rather than having to install anything.

I ended up going for a Mountain Everest Max, but despite how they portray it on their website (most notable when going to order), I still have to take the time and effort to install all the PBT key caps.

installing the keycaps isnt that hard just push them into the switches

6 hours ago, person123456789 said:

installing the keycaps isnt that hard just push them into the switches

It’s more the time, effort and how misleading Mountain was on their website.

I am loving the Everest Max so far, but the PBT key cap issue is annoying.

3 hours ago, CoolJosh3k said:

It’s more the time, effort and how misleading Mountain was on their website.

I am loving the Everest Max so far, but the PBT key cap issue is annoying.

oh ok i understand

Hello everyone!

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to ask for some guidance for my first mechanical keyboard. So, I've decided to buy the 3068B Plus from Akko and I wonder if anyone has any experience with Akko switches. I'm still saving money for it, so for the time being I will be limited to the website's selection of switches. I'm thinking of trying the Jelly Purple switches since I think I'd like a tactile switch first, however there is also a Jelly Blue switch option that features a "dual tactile bump" but I don't know what that really means. Do any of you recommend one over the other or should I stick to a linear switch instead (the other switch types are Jelly Pink, Jelly White, Crystal Blue and Sakura)? I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

Thanks so much and have a super-fantastic weekend!

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

10 hours ago, BookofNeat said:

dual tactile bump

in a regular tactile, there is a tactile event on the downstroke. with a dual bump, there is also a tactile event on the upstroke

10 hours ago, BookofNeat said:

Do any of you recommend one over the other or should I stick to a linear switch instead (the other switch types are Jelly Pink, Jelly White, Crystal Blue and Sakura)?

if you like tactiles, i would recommend you just go with a tactile as all akko switches are pretty good

I finally got around to organizing my switches and other keyboard stuff.

20221029_162839.thumb.JPG.ff301bcc368ad9edfc7b6b4155763d8f.JPG

And by "got around to" I mean I discovered that IKEA sell cheap pegboards and containers. I also calculated the amount of containers wrong, so I apparently need to go back to IKEA at some point for more.

I still need to lube the Drop + Invyr and Gateron CJ switchs, hence why the containers are empty.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:06 AM, BookofNeat said:

Hello everyone!

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to ask for some guidance for my first mechanical keyboard. So, I've decided to buy the 3068B Plus from Akko and I wonder if anyone has any experience with Akko switches. I'm still saving money for it, so for the time being I will be limited to the website's selection of switches. I'm thinking of trying the Jelly Purple switches since I think I'd like a tactile switch first, however there is also a Jelly Blue switch option that features a "dual tactile bump" but I don't know what that really means. Do any of you recommend one over the other or should I stick to a linear switch instead (the other switch types are Jelly Pink, Jelly White, Crystal Blue and Sakura)? I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

Thanks so much and have a super-fantastic weekend!

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

For the price you can't really go wrong with Akko switches.

If the choice is between Jelly Blues and Jelly Purples, I would go with the Jelly Purples. It's a really nice tactile switch.

My only real criticism of Akko switches is that there can be some inconsistencies in both feel and sound between switch batches.

I personally found the Jelly Blues to be a bit gimmicky. The dual tactile bump essentially means that the switch has a tactile bump on both the down- and upstroke. The Jelly Blues even couples that with a dual stage spring. It all makes for a really strange feeling switch.

Whether you should go with a tactile or linear switch is unfortunately not something we can answer. It's all personal preference, and the only way you can figure out your preferences is by trying different switches.

You can obviously watch or read reviews of switches online, but that can only get you so far.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

19 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I finally got around to organizing my switches and other keyboard stuff.

20221029_162839.thumb.JPG.ff301bcc368ad9edfc7b6b4155763d8f.JPG

And by "got around to" I mean I discovered that IKEA sell cheap pegboards and containers. I also calculated the amount of containers wrong, so I apparently need to go back to IKEA at some point for more.

I still need to lube the Drop + Invyr and Gateron CJ switchs, hence why the containers are empty.

For the price you can't really go wrong with Akko switches.

If the choice is between Jelly Blues and Jelly Purples, I would go with the Jelly Purples. It's a really nice tactile switch.

I personally found the Jelly Blues to a bit gimmicky. The dual tactile bump essentially means that the switch has a tactile bump on both the down- and upstroke. And the Jelly Blues couple that with a dual stage spring.IIt all makes for a really strange feeling switch.

Whether you should go with a tactile or linear switch is unfortunately not something we can answer. It's all personal preference, and the only way you can figure out your preferences is by trying different switches.

You can obviously watch or read reviews of switches online, but that can only get you so far.

the amount of zeal clickiez you have concerns me