Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
1 minute ago, person123456789 said:

the amount of zeal clickiez you have concerns me

As well it should.

I originally planned to use them for a retro-futuristic keyboard, but I never got around to it.

But they are some of the best clicky switches on the market today, as they are, to my knowledge, the only Cherry-style switch that use an Alps-inspired click leaf, as opposed to the click jacket of Cherry switches and the click bar of Kailh switches.

The only reason I haven't replaced the Kailh Navy Blue switches in my keyboard with the Clickiez is that I find the actuation force of the Clickiez to be a bit too light.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

4 hours ago, Volbet said:

For the price you can't really go wrong with Akko switches.

If the choice is between Jelly Blues and Jelly Purples, I would go with the Jelly Purples. It's a really nice tactile switch.

My only real criticism of Akko switched is that there can be some inconsistencies in both feel and sound between switch batches.

I personally found the Jelly Blues to be a bit gimmicky. The dual tactile bump essentially means that the switch has a tactile bump on both the down- and upstroke. The Jelly Blues even couples that with a dual stage spring. It all makes for a really strange feeling switch.

5 hours ago, person123456789 said:

if you like tactiles, i would recommend you just go with a tactile as all akko switches are pretty good

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! When I can, I'll make the leap with the Jelly Purple switches. I hope to return with good news someday soon.

Have a greadt day everyone!

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

On 10/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, Jinsoku_ said:

How much did it hurt to put in those stabs? I have a GMMK Pro with a brass plate i was dying hahaha

I had to rub it with a metal file to make it fit because at first i would break the plate hah

3 hours ago, GierooN said:

I had to rub it with a metal file to make it fit because at first i would break the plate hah

This is a known issue with Glorious too, they have yet to add clearance for stabs other than their own.

Project Gray Scale
Intel Core i7 6900k @ 4.2Ghz - Dominator 32GB DDR4 2400 CL10 - Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe - 2 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (Gaming and Sratch) - 2 Barracuda 2TB 
Asus x99 Deluxe - MSI Aero OC GTX 1080Ti - Seasonic 760 XP² - Mod1PC Custom Cables - EKWB CPU & GPU Blocks Nickle/Plexi - EKWB D5 PWM 
EKWB PE360 - Corsair ML120 (6)  - InWin 303- NK65 Entry Watermelon w/ Gat Laseron 70g (205g0 & Filmed) - Logitech G Pro x Superlight
Kanto YU2 - Sennheiser PC360 SE - Acer XF270HU

BUT DOES IT FOLD?! https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=963814

I just picked up my third mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K10 with Gateron G Pro Blue switches for my work from home setup.

20221109-051838-1.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I just picked up my third mechanical keyboard, a Keychron K10 with Gateron G Pro Blue switches for my work from home setup.

20221109-051838-1.jpg

you might want to consider upgrading the stock switches

4 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

you might want to consider upgrading the stock switches

For the moment I'm going to try to use these to get a good opinion on them. I did buy this board with the idea of swapping out the switches to Cherry MX Blues as those are what I use on my personal machine. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

11 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

For the moment I'm going to try to use these to get a good opinion on them. I did buy this board with the idea of swapping out the switches to Cherry MX Blues as those are what I use on my personal machine. 

cherry mx blues are bad

if you like clickies you might want to check out some of kailh's offerings

2 hours ago, person123456789 said:

cherry mx blues are bad

if you like clickies you might want to check out some of kailh's offerings

Thanks, but I've had really good experience with cherry mx blues.

24 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Thanks, but I've had really good experience with cherry mx blues.

I would advise you to at least try some of Kailh's offerings.

13 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

20221109-051838-1.jpg

That's so cool. I didn't know that Keychron made a full-sized version of their K-series.

I've really been impressed with their Q-series keyboard that I use at work:

20221110_074514.thumb.JPG.fb7b14c37deb186892b415b7fa1d7eff.JPG

Although, I did recently have to replace the mounting plate with a polycarbonate plate due to improved sound and feel for my use scenario.

12 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

How do you find that the Gateron Blues compares to Cherry MX Blues? I've never tried Gateron Blues, but I've always been curious.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

6 hours ago, Volbet said:

That's so cool. I didn't know that Keychron made a full-sized version of their K-series.

I've really been impressed with their Q-series keyboard that I use at work:

*PIC SNIP*

Although, I did recently have to replace the mounting plate with a polycarbonate plate due to improved sound and feel for my use scenario.

How do you find that the Gateron Blues compares to Cherry MX Blues? I've never tried Gateron Blues, but I've always been curious.

They're definitely a bit lighter feeling than the Cherries. Although I do feel like the tactile click is a bit higher in the actuation, which I kind of like as it seems a bit easier to actuate the key without bottoming it out. 

Like I said, I'm going to use this for at least a month to try and get a more developed opinion. 

Would really like to be part of the club but I still haven't found a backlit mechanical keyboard with the French Canadian layout 😞 If anyone sees one (or can make one 😮 ) let me know!

On 11/10/2022 at 11:27 AM, AlexQC said:

Would really like to be part of the club but I still haven't found a backlit mechanical keyboard with the French Canadian layout 😞 If anyone sees one (or can make one 😮 ) let me know!

Isnt it ISO layout?

Ifs its not but similar you could get a board that supports remapping to remove/add some of the keys you need.

8 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

Isnt it ISO layout?

Ifs its not but similar you could get a board that supports remapping to remove/add some of the keys you need.

Yeah it's a 105 key ISO...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 10:00 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

20221109-051838-1.jpg

What is your experience with the K10? I've currently got a Cherry MX Board 3.0 (Non s) for work and looking to replace it with something more premium and hot swap-able. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

14 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

What is your experience with the K10? I've currently got a Cherry MX Board 3.0 (Non s) for work and looking to replace it with something more premium and hot swap-able. 

Thus far I have been liking the K10. 

I got the aluminum framed hot swappable version, and I'd say the build quality is very good to excellent. My only real complaint is that the indicator LEDs for capslock and numlock are pretty dim, and I kind of have to shade the LEDs to be able to see them. 

The other thing I wish I could change (maybe I can, I haven't dug into it) is the 10 minute sleep timer, I wish I could raise that or turn it off completely. I often find myself doing something like cruising the internet without using the keyboard for ten minutes, only to find it asleep. Of course it wakes up in a couple seconds but I find it annoying. Maybe I'm weird. 

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Thus far I have been liking the K10. 

I got the aluminum framed hot swappable version, and I'd say the build quality is very good to excellent. My only real complaint is that the indicator LEDs for capslock and numlock are pretty dim, and I kind of have to shade the LEDs to be able to see them. 

The other thing I wish I could change (maybe I can, I haven't dug into it) is the 10 minute sleep timer, I wish I could raise that or turn it off completely. I often find myself doing something like cruising the internet without using the keyboard for ten minutes, only to find it asleep. Of course it wakes up in a couple seconds but I find it annoying. Maybe I'm weird. 

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm torn between buying something like the K10 / Q10. Or just going full out and building my own.... 

Does the K10 have a good sound to it? It's not flimsy etc when typing? 

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

2 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

I'm torn between buying something like the K10 / Q10. Or just going full out and building my own.... 

I got the blue switches, and they have a great sound. To my ear, it really sounds like the keyboard from "The Sims". I got the aluminum frame model and it's very rigid, you'd have to be a pretty aggressive typist to get any flex out of it. 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, MrBaker89 said:

Just to clarify, the K10 and Q10 have extremely different layouts. The K10 is a full sized keyboard whereas the Q10 is an alice 75% keyboard.

Personally, I would go for a barebones Keychron Q series board and then add your own switches and keycaps.

The K10 doesn't sound good stock but you can make it would good with some modding.

Also, can you please elaborate on flimsiness?

Flimsiness could mean a good thing or a bad thing

In the keyboard world, flex (aka the movement of the pcb and plate assembly) is actually a good thing. It provides a softer bottom out which some people find less tiring.

15 hours ago, that_dude said:

What's your thought on a keyboard like this?

60% + rotary encoder & e-Ink to the right

image.png.25121261ddba80f53abecaa4898fef3e.png

Badly remixed image has approx. relasitic proportions.

(none photshoped) image/source image: https://epomaker.com/collections/60-keyboards/products/epomaker-sk61

What even is the point of the e-ink display?

8 minutes ago, that_dude said:

@person123456789Some keyboards already have displays (plain old LCD). You could display information on them like time, layout/layer, temperature, air quality, notifications, battery status, etc.

Rotary encoder for either navigation on the LCD or just volume control. Adding a capacitive touchscreen to the e-paper could also be an option.

Underlaying architecture of this keyboard is complex (compared to all other keyboards; entire PCB-BOM without switches is around the $100 (not including PCB cost, 4 or 6 layer)). The encoder + display would be it's own subsystem on the IO-bus, propably STM32U5 series (TouchGFX or LVGL). Connectivity to the host through USB (DFU) and I2C to the keyboard controller, the meantioned IO-bus. Power would propably be with the standby rail as this would allow e.g. updating the clock. Battery charging indicator would still require to power up the main controller, ESP32, as I don't want to implement multi master and the charger at the moment is directly monitored by the ESP32.

I'm pretty sure horizontal displays are more useful than vertical ones