"ASUS Scammed Us" - Gamers Nexus

GN discusses their RMA process with their ASUS Ally.

* told they had to pay $200 for a device in-warranty to replace a screen for a ding on the case, as they were considered 'one part' that they did not notice
* no way to reply back except for the RMA challenge form
* kept getting emails on how their device would be sent back dissembled if they did not pay
* their Ally was returned back, with joysticks and memory card reader replaced
* discussion on an article with the verge about the items being replaced and it could be a soft recall of the device
* FTC has a form you can file warranty complains about that could led to files up to $37,000 per complaint

All in all, glad I went with an ASRock motherboard recently.

Did not see the announcement where they had cut off new projects with ASUS.

Thanks for posting. I'm watching it now and it re-iterates why Asus has such bad support reputation. 

I originally thought their support is just bad and not responding or denying claims. I did not know that they also try to get extortion payments. 

FWIW, I like GN, but their videos could be 5-10 minutes shorter without losing content. They make their point well, but then add a lot of iteration of the same. Not sure if some YT algorithm favors 30+ minute videos and creators try to stretch to that.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Oh boy, here we go again. Funny how these things always happen to GN, the most stingy reviewer in all of tech. From Asus' point of view, there is literally no one worse to try to screw over.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Oh boy, here we go again. Funny how these things always happen to GN, the most stingy reviewer in all of tech. From Asus' point of view, there is literally no one worse to try to screw over.

its purely a number game. it happens to all reviewers and all users who churn through that much tech. 

This is why, when I want a motherboard from a company beginning with As, I pick Asrock every time.

10 minutes ago, whispous said:

This is why, when I want a motherboard from a company beginning with As, I pick Asrock every time.

which used to be ASUS's budget brand of e-waste, what a turn around. 

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

which used to be ASUS's budget brand of e-waste, what a turn around. 

At least ASRock boards are cheaper. So if they would do the same thing, it hurts less. 

And with a "premium" (at least the price is premium) brand like Asus the expectations are higher. 

I've had many ASRock MB, but never had an issue. So I don't have CS experience, though.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

38 minutes ago, Lurking said:

At least ASRock boards are cheaper. So if they would do the same thing, it hurts less. 

And with a "premium" (at least the price is premium) brand like Asus the expectations are higher. 

I've had many ASRock MB, but never had an issue. So I don't have CS experience, though.

key word is used to be there. ASRock used to be. Its been 20 years since they spun off, they have flipped that image on its head and do make premium products now. 

28 minutes ago, starsmine said:

key word is used to be there. ASRock used to be. Its been 20 years since they spun off, they have flipped that image on its head and do make premium products now. 

Their cheap motherboards are better than asus's mid tier motherboards lol. You get more features, better cs, more reliability and less qc issues buying a cheap asrock motherboard compared to paying 50% more to buy a not even as good asus motherboard.

Soft reply Louis Rossman Video

IF you've had a product that Asus has refused to warranty:

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

They don't always happen to GN, they happen to everyone. GN is just the one with the platform and audience so it gets spread around.

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I've yet to see it be manufactured by GN to "make it happen" kinda thing.

Like, they literally sat down in a conference room with Newegg who said "Yeah, we royally fucked this one up" and got them to state on camera that they were going to fix the RMA issues.  

I haven't RMA'd a product with ASUS in years, but the last time I did, it was a FREAKING NIGHTMARE.  They literally mailed me back a dead laptop on the 3rd consecutive RMA.  Like, for realz.  (First one had issues, so RMA'd.  Returned laptop didn't have a working touchpad, so RMA'd again.  Third laptop was DEAD ASS DEAD, and I was quoted like 4-6 weeks for an RMA on it, after the first 3 had taken the better part of a month and a half to process?  So I found some executive email addresses and emailed the head of PR about it, and shockingly things got resolved after that.)

Why are PC companies becoming so money focused as of recent. The world has really changed and so has ethics.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

12 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Why are PC companies becoming so money focused as of recent. The world has really changed and so has ethics.

they always have? there is a massive long trail of dead/not relevent pc companies. 

20 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

They always have been. The difference now is the average person has much more of a voice with social media. It's much easier for people's voice and opinions to spread.

35 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

They always have been. The difference now is the average person has much more of a voice with social media. It's much easier for people's voice and opinions to spread.

oh ok. Thanks.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

I've only had to RMA very few things over my lifetime, and ASUS never had an issue in the past. Perhaps things have gotten worse over the years, but it doesn't surprise me that GN is in the middle of this one given their view counts; need a video like this every few months.

I don't understand why people are surprised about this, Asus support has had the reputation for bad support for a long time, and its nothing new that Asus tries to scam their consumers out of a warranty. Also IMO its disappointing people choose to criticize GN instead of focusing on the issue at hand.

Jayztwocents covered Asus voiding warranties for installing a beta bios a year ago, I guess people forgot about it or chose to keep buying Asus products.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't understand why people are surprised about this, Asus support has had the reputation for bad support for a long time, and its nothing new that Asus tries to scam their consumers out of a warranty. Also IMO its disappointing people choose to criticize GN instead of focusing on the issue at hand.

Jayztwocents covered Asus voiding warranties for installing a beta bios a year ago, I guess people forgot about it or chose to keep buying Asus products.

People need something to rage about. Even if they have no skin in the game. Welcome to 2024. This outrage will pass once some other company does something non-kosher.

1 hour ago, divito said:

I've only had to RMA very few things over my lifetime, and ASUS never had an issue in the past. Perhaps things have gotten worse over the years, but it doesn't surprise me that GN is in the middle of this one given their view counts; need a video like this every few months.

Are you doubting the accuracy of the video?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Are you doubting the accuracy of the video?

Sensationalism doesn't inherently mean something is inaccurate. So no.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

LTX wasn't going to sponsor itself now was it?

3 minutes ago, divito said:

Sensationalism doesn't inherently mean something is inaccurate. So no.

Okay, so then we can believe that GN really had this experience with ASUS, which even if isolated, is totally absurd. But warranty problems are not an isolated case, and several users have had issues. However, even if ASUS is the target here, I doubt they're the only ones who might try to get away with bullshit.

Just because you personally haven't had an issue with RMAs with ASUS doesn't mean others haven't. If you've only RMA'd one or two things, then I would argue your experience could be considered an isolated case. Regardless of any isolation though, ASUS does need to fix this such that it doesn't happen with anyone, but I highly doubt they will without customers effectively voting with their wallet, and not purchasing their products anymore.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch