[Update] Yet another "Hacking Group" threatening to ruin christmas fun

NovusBal

You'd think with the amount of money MS and Sony have they could fix this, why don't they have a budget for taking down people like this??

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

(oh god , i never thought i would say this , but here i go ..)

Good thing we have origin and Uplay !

Yeah, but Uplay tends to bring itself down. They don't even need hackers.

/jk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

yay good for the shitty consoles.. ill be able to play my games on christmas.

get rekt peasants

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/hacking-group-ring-christmas/

Looks like it's christmas, and what more to start the seasons than by threats from "Hacker Groups" to take down online services from different platforms, in this case PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

Should we believe this? Well, in some situations we shouldn't, it is the internet after all, it doesn't guarantee this is going to happen.

This threat has come from phantom squad this time, with this tweet:

3PGfXrg.png

Well, as usual, let's hope that they don't do this, my personal opinion on this is what the common individuals should be, that these people shouldn't really be doing this, or attempting to ruin this for other people, especially at a time of the year when people have some time off work in order to relax and play a few titles.

Not only to that point, realistically, majority of this is just DDoS. Which is becoming so much easier for individuals to do.

What is everyone elses opinions? Remember that time PlayStation Network went down for a few months? Although that won't happen in this situation (I hope), this is still something that just shouldn't still be happening.

*Keep the console flame wars out of this thread please

Console peasents will say DDoS is worth it for 8K gaming at 24 frames per second, because we can't see past that, DUH

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

Eh, I game on PC, unless they can manage to bring Steam, Origin or the entire internet down, I really don't care. And even there... Steam support Offline play anyway.

It can affect PC's too. Last year when LS ddosed EA (I think) one of the largest ISP's in Sweden (Telia Sonera) went down because they were the ISP EA used. So I was unable to use the internet at all for like a day or so. Not too bad but still, it could happen again.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Good intention against always online requirement on games, too bad it's gonna ruin someone's Christmas.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

#pcmasterrace

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

So many "My neighbor's house catches on fire, not mine. So I don't care." attitude here.

Haha exactly what I was thinking

It would suck if hackers actually did this. A company might lose millions because of some idiots. Not to mention all those kids getting consoles it might ruin their Christmas.

good! spend time with your family instead of playing video games.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

LMFAO CONSULE PESENTS GONA B CRYIN XDDD AMIRITE GUYS PCMASDTERACE PRASE GABEN GUYS GUYS PLS STEAM SALESSSSSSS XDDDXXDDDD

There's a tip going around, encouraging those purchasing consoles as gifts for others to open it themselves and run the first-time set-up so they don't have to wait around as much.

This has never made any more sense than now.

[witty signature]

Meh.

You know how you should never with death upon most people? Well, I wish these people would die.

Like, be slowly lowered into a pit of fire.

With sharks swimming in the fire.

If you want to wish death upon them, you might want to make it more realistic or you'll be sorely disappointed.

You can't swim in fire, and even if you could, the sharks would be dead from said fire anyways or lack of usable oxygen.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Steam mitigated the issues far more efficiently than Sony and Microcash.

@GSTARR I believe this holds some degree of relevance.  I feel bad, honestly.  For all the people who end up getting consoles and not taking the time to look at steam.  I know many people who do so.  You would think for the level of entertainment these companies are supposed to bring - they'd have better protocol and capability of dealing with these massive attacks.  Especially when they're announced so publicly.

It doesn't really. Why feel bad for people who know what they want? Besides turning up the graphics, and mods that I don't really care for, PC doesn't have alot for me (although technically turning up the graphics is something i really wanna do, which is where i would say "Most people [like me] can't afford the pc we want" which is where most people cry foul) because I don't care for indie games. Consoles deliver AAA titles and enough others to be interesting and in depth (at least ps3 and XB360 do, still waiting on ps4 and XB1). Computer for work, console for gaming.

Some people like them separate, other people are fanboys; who cares. People want what they want, and I feel bad for anyone who doesn't take the time to look at their options when buying something that's above 200$

Shipping sucks

If you want to wish death upon them, you might want to make it more realistic or you'll be sorely disappointed.

You can't swim in fire, and even if you could, the sharks would be dead from said fire anyways or lack of usable oxygen.

party pooper

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

-snip-

It is not a freaking hack, it is a DDOS attack...an attack, literally no technilogically advanced knowledge needed to pull this off.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Looking at the US government, they'd realistically be thrown in jail for a few years before they get hired by the FBI to spy on citizens. 

I used to be quite active here.

those kids should get jobs or have hobbies which involve going outside.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Well I don't game on either XBox/1 or PS3/4 so it wont disrupt my gaming experience BUT I do not condone this as this is completely out of line, I cannot stand hackers and their threats, go piss off somewhere else or use your talents for something better like screwing with terrorists.

Technically you could call this inter web terrorism . . .

Don't shut down Steam please......

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It is not a freaking hack, it is a DDOS attack...an attack, literally no technilogically advanced knowledge needed to pull this off.

Exactly why most of my parts containing Hacking, have " " surrounding them, as an example: "Hacking".

You know, to symbolize a bit more sarcasm.

if they manage to do this, someone should sue ms/sony for not having basic protection against ddos attack even when they're asking 60$/year for their online services

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Can't we just find these people, tie them up in a chair, and then relentlessly smack the backside of their necks with our index and middlefingers combined? The pure agony.

I don't have consoles but come on, this is sad of them.

LMFAO CONSULE PESENTS GONA B CRYIN XDDD AMIRITE GUYS PCMASDTERACE PRASE GABEN GUYS GUYS PLS STEAM SALESSSSSSS XDDDXXDDDD

I'm blind now.