Reddit user discloses how Intel sabotaged AMD's business in 2005

KevKev

[...] Intel paid PC manufacturers out of its own pocket for years to not buy AMD's chips. Although they were faster, manufacturers went with the bribe because the amount they made from that outweighed the amount they get from happy customers buying their powerful computers.

• Intel rewarded OEMs to not use AMD’s processors through various means, such as volume discounts, withholding advertising & R&D money, and threatening OEMs with a low-priority during CPU shortages.
  • Intel reworked their compiler to put AMD CPUs at a disadvantage. For a time Intel’s compiler would not enable SSE/SSE2 codepaths on non-Intel CPUs, our assumption is that this is the specific complaint. To our knowledge this has been resolved for quite some time now (as of late 2010).
  • Intel paid/coerced software and hardware vendors to not support or to limit their support for AMD CPUs. This includes having vendors label their wares as Intel compatible, but not AMD compatible.
  • False advertising. This includes hiding the compiler changes from developers, misrepresenting benchmark results (such as BAPCo Sysmark) that changed due to those compiler changes, and general misrepresentation of benchmarks as being “real world” when they are not.
  • Intel eliminated the future threat of NVIDIA’s chipset business by refusing to license the latest version of the DMI bus (the bus that connects the Northbridge to the Southbridge) and the QPI bus (the bus that connects Nehalem processors to the X58 Northbridge) to NVIDIA, which prevents them from offering a chipset for Nehalem-generation CPUs.
  • Intel “created several interoperability problems” with discrete CPUs, specifically to attack GPGPU functionality. We’re actually not sure what this means, it may be a complaint based on the fact that Lynnfield only offers single PCIe x16 connection coming from the CPU, which wouldn’t be enough to fully feed two high-end GPUs.
  • Intel has attempted to harm GPGPU functionality by developing Larrabee. This includes lying about the state of Larrabee hardware and software, and making disparaging remarks about non-Intel development tools.
  • In bundling CPUs with IGP chipsets, Intel is selling them at below-cost to drive out competition. Given Intel’s margins, we find this one questionable. Below-cost would have to be extremely cheap.
  • Intel priced Atom CPUs higher if they were not used with an Intel IGP chipset.
  • All of this has enhanced Intel’s CPU monopoly.

Permalink to Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3s5r4d/is_nvidia_sabotaging_performance_for_no_visual/cwukpuc

Edit: Sources can be find in the linked Reddit post.

If so many shit starts to happen to both the companies i doubt we have any CPU to buy in the end.

Reddit isn't a source I'd call reliably honestly, also all companies try to destroy their competitors, or did you think companies were like hippies, all communal and valuing peace and love.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Interesting. I guess it makes sense why AMD has been unable to compete. No sales means no R&D.

I am pretty sure this has been known for a while, Intel has since gotten a new CEO. IIRC.

Plenty of reason to still be disappointed in Intel nowadays too, the drivers for Skylake are.... lacking... IME driver issues are my biggest gripe.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

This is...new?  This news is at least 5 years old, with the event happening 10 years ago.  I would think most if not all the people here already knew about this.

More like : Reddit user digs up old news article for an "Intel CPU refresh".  Kek, I did go there.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Permalink to Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3s5r4d/is_nvidia_sabotaging_performance_for_no_visual/cwukpuc

Edit: Sources can be find in the linked Reddit post.

That's just a thread with various bits of news from a while ago pieced together.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well at least Intel actually made an attempt to seize the market.

How to roll in the dough basically. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

lol you're 10 years late on your "news"

https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD-Intel_Full_Complaint.pdf

this document was released in June 27, 2005

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wonder how much, if any, of this is true.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

This is...new?  This news is at least 5 years old, with the event happening 10 years ago.  I would think most if not all the people here already knew about this.

Its all old - but still ongoing. Intel actually has multiple court orders instructing them to stop "compiler cheating". Turns out, they did not stop. 

In any case, I think not everyone knew.

If so many shit starts to happen to both the companies i doubt we have any CPU to buy in the end.

intel isn't short on money - amd on the other hand could use a cheque from them

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Reddit user doesn't disclose anything new.
They have changed their business. Changing it for a more legal business, but with the same purpose overall  ;)

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Well, you know what, I hope AMD will get bankrupt. not for the sake of AMD but to get Intel dragged to the court for monopoly.

It's really saddening to see AMD not doing good but Intel keeps laughing their asses off and charge us damn lots of money for very minimal performance each year.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Its all old - but still ongoing. Intel actually has multiple court orders instructing them to stop "compiler cheating". Turns out, they did not stop. 

In any case, I think not everyone knew.

The court order was to either stop "compiler cheating" or then to be clear about doing it.

They chose the latter.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Reddit isn't a source I'd call reliably honestly, also all companies try to destroy their competitors, or did you think companies were like hippies, all communal and valuing peace and love.

If AMD or Nvidia had done this, your tone would be different.

Currently that's the state of NVIDIA - where they are buying and pressuring developers.

I don't get why there's no legal pressure on them - yet.

the court case was settled months ago and people are STILL trying to stir up crap about this?

how about focus on what AMD is doing NOW for a change (or rather, not doing...../cricket)

None of that is new. All of the case files are available in legal archives in USA and Europe. Even Taiwan has case files.

News flash: Intel will still get away scot-free even after being charged and fined. Same for Nvidia.

Yeah well Intel also made fake benchmarks for the P4 too and got fined for that. Wasn't it obvious that netburst was a total fail compared to the Athlon.

The part about Larrabee is complete crock. It did absolutely nothing to hurt GPGPU with any advertising. Intel hyped itself up until Nvidia yanked some of its licenses and forced a total restructuring. Now Intel's Xeon Phi. The rest of this is well known already, though the portion about the compiler is greatly exaggerated. Intel had the information about not optimizing on non-Intel processors in the documentation. It certainly didn't force Cinebench owners to use its compiler either and no proof of coercion to the same effect has been found. This is mainly a rehashing of what we already knew Paul Otellini did eleven years. What's Intel done since Kirzanich stepped up to be anticompetitive?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd