That "clock" that Mohamed Ahmed made is a 1980's Digital Alarm Clock

ChrisxIxCross

This is somehow news? Of course he didn't etch his own PCBs, program his own ASIC and construct an LCD panel. I'd have thought it was perfectly obvious that he dismantled a clock and put it back together again.

I hate to be a cynic, but it was only news in the first place because of the kids ethnicity. Had this been a White, Asian, Black or Mexican child, it probably wouldn't have gone beyond local news. The fact that he was of Arab descent turned it into the usual media race game. Then you have your politicians that want to cash in on the "we support him, therefore we expect your ethnic vote" market, and CEO's of random companies giving their support for basically the same reason. 

A kid brought in a suspicious unknown device to a school, unprovoked to do so by his teachers. That is a red flag here in the US, regardless of how you slice it. It really shouldn't have gotten this much attention. Sadly, as long as it keeps getting this much attention, this media tactic will not die any time soon. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well, this makes me thinks, how dumb the teachers and the principal are at that school. They are educated, arent they?

And how come the clock has a transformer in it and no battery to be found when it was beeping in his bag? Mixed messages here.

Still we've all been taken for fools and it infuriates me how much "praise" this kid has gotten when he has done equivalent to nothing...  

Anyway its clearly obvious that companies, and politicians are just taking advantage of all this to make themselves look good and prove to everyone how supportive and not racist they are.

THANK YOU

I hate to be a cynic, but it was only news in the first place because of the kids ethnicity. Had this been a White, Asian, Black or Mexican child, it probably wouldn't have gone beyond local news. The fact that he was of Arab descent turned it into the usual media race game. Then you have your politicians that want to cash in on the "we support him, therefore we expect your ethnic vote" market, and CEO's of random companies giving their support for basically the same reason. 

A kid brought in a suspicious unknown device to a school, unprovoked to do so by his teachers. That is a red flag here in the US, regardless of how you slice it. It really shouldn't have gotten this much attention. Sadly, as long as it keeps getting this much attention, this media tactic will not die any time soon. 

Well the dude is asian...

But yeah, i agree. Imagine next month's news headline: 5 year old assembles pen, teachers think it is a pocket missile 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Well the dude is asian...

But yeah, i agree. Imagine next month's news headline: 5 year old assembles pen, teachers think it is a pocket missile 

LMAO

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Seriously? The tinfoil hat is on. He shouldn't have been arrested whether he made it or not, and that's the whole situation that everyone should be focusing on.

Maybe, just maybe, he found the parts that happened to come from this clock, and reassembled them and re-programmed them? :o Maybe, he didn't know they came from one clock! :OO

This is somehow news? Of course he didn't etch his own PCBs, program his own ASIC and construct an LCD panel. I'd have thought it was perfectly obvious that he dismantled a clock and put it back together again.

^ This!

It's beyond stupid to think a 14 yr old to make everything from scratch. And even if he just bought the damn thing and put it in the pencil case, the kid clearly showed the guts and how the thing worked to his teacher. Blame the teacher, if anyone, for the media explosion.

But sensationalist and conspiracy theorist are at it again.... GG OP.

Wow, 35 users reading this topic. I have heard that he has now been invited to MIT as well

If that's true, this is beyond laughable.

You and they didn't get arrested.

Apparently not haha, guess that only happens in Murica 

And the media JUMPED on it. And people screamed "ISLAMOPHOBIA!" "RACISM!" and all that stuff.

Welp, you see what can happen here.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

^ This!

It's beyond stupid to think a 14 yr old to make everything from scratch. And even if he just bought the damn thing and put it in the pencil case, the kid clearly showed the guts and how the thing worked to his teacher. Blame the teacher, if anyone, for the media explosion.

But sensationalist and conspiracy theorist are at it again.... GG OP.

I'm not trying to be either of those it just pisses me off that he's getting all this positive attention and for what? Kid basically won the lottery

Still... I'm sure theres plenty of smarter 14 yr olds out there who could have purchased all the necessary parts and follow a DIY guide on the internet or whatever.

Fair enough - but it clearly was not a bomb and the entire situation is ridiculous anyway. It really takes a complete asshat not to see that that could not possibly have been a bomb. The student may have been trying to get a free good grade from his electronics teacher, in which case shame on him, but what happened later is not his fault and is not justified by this.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

And the media JUMPED on it. And people screamed "ISLAMOPHOBIA!" "RACISM!" and all that stuff.

Welp, you see what can happen here.

This literally does not change a thing about any of that.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

This literally does not change a thing about any of that.

Yeah it kinda does, it was those that threw all the figurative gasoline on the spark.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Fair enough - but it clearly was not a bomb and the entire situation is ridiculous anyway. It really takes a complete asshat not to see that that could not possibly have been a bomb. The student may have been trying to get a free good grade from his electronics teacher, in which case shame on him, but what happened later is not his fault and is not justified by this.

Another thing is apparently he didn't show the thing to his electronics teacher but in his English class. But yeah it definitely doesn't look anything close to any kind of bomb. Maybe it was because a digital readout was inside a briefcase made them think that idk... Its this kind of journalism and positive publicity by companies that made all of this get way out of hand. Its like the legalization of gay marriage thing all over again. 

but.. but.. he was wearing a NASA shirt... /s

Yeah it kinda does, it was those that threw all the figurative gasoline on the spark.

No, because whether he made it himself or not the response by both the school and police were unacceptable. This revelation is pretty much the definition of a strawman argument to distract people from the actual issue in play.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Really it's just more proof that the media is biased. No one seems to give a flying fuck though.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Still stupid to arrest him, if it doesn't have explosives or something that could contain explosives, it's not a bomb. Unless they can prove he made any threats or claim it was a bomb, still stupid.

Even if it wasn't a bomb and they knew it wasn't a bomb the whole time he still should have gotten a talking to by the principle at the very least.

Schools usually have a 0 tolerance policy to anything that even looks remotely like some kind of a weapon being brought into school.

A Nerf gun is clearly not a real gun but if any kid brought one to school they would likely at least call the parent about it.

Even if you do not like that policy, you agree to follow those rules when you send your child to the school

Another thing is apparently he didn't show the thing to his electronics teacher but in his English class. But yeah it definitely doesn't look anything close to any kind of bomb. Maybe it was because a digital readout was inside a briefcase made them think that idk... Its this kind of journalism and positive publicity by companies that made all of this get way out of hand. Its like the legalization of gay marriage thing all over again. 

I agree that treating him like a martyr is stupid - that said action should be taken against both the school and the cops who arrested him.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I agree that treating him like a martyr is stupid - that said action should be taken against both the school and the cops who arrested him.

Both of which are continuing to defend themselves and they are still claiming it was justified of them to assume that it was a bomb. 

Still stupid to arrest him, if it doesn't have explosives or something that could contain explosives, it's not a bomb. Unless they can prove he made any threats or claim it was a bomb, still stupid.

Yeah for sure. And politicians/companies are taking advantage of their stupidity and using the whole thing as a PR stunt.