That "clock" that Mohamed Ahmed made is a 1980's Digital Alarm Clock

ChrisxIxCross

He didn't create the PCB. It was from an actual digital clock, just look at the manufacturer stamp.

Who cares if he did or did not? Most people will tear apart already made electronics and use the items. Maybe he taught himself to solder with this, or figuring out what parts of the PCB do what. He's learning, and this is how people learn.

People need to get the stick out of their ass and just drop it. The kid is going to get a good chance to advance his life and we should leave it at that no matter the circumstances.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Evacuating the school, calling in bomb squad, NOTIFYING PARENTS, all applicable responses to a bomb, applicable arguments for "we were protecting our students," what happened was not that.

Was there really a bomb squad designated at their vicinity that can quickly make a response? Would you think the next best thing would do? 

Based on the information I have seen about him, and pictures of the clock he made, it looks like he fixed a broken clock, rather than make one. He is using the term "make" loosely, much like he uses the term "invent" loosely as well. He is 14 years old, so I am cutting him some slack. I am sure when he will be 18, or even 16, he will be like "wow.. that was silly of me"

I see. Well then, he should really learn to use the right words because in his video he tries to paint it off like he actually created it and put it inside of a pencil case. :ph34r:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Was there really a bomb squad designated at their vicinity that can quickly make a response? Would you think the next best thing would do? 

If you think you have a bomb, bomb squad is secondary, you get the HUNDREDS OF CHILDREN out of the vicinity.

If you think you have a bomb, bomb squad is secondary, you get the HUNDREDS OF CHILDREN out of the vicinity.

And that didn't happen-which is extremely questionable at best.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And that didn't happen-which is extremely questionable at best.

Apparently the PD already knew it wasn't actually a bomb, hence no evacuation of the building. The fact that they went ahead with the interrogation and wasted valuable police resources that could be better allocated to an actual bomb threat? Now that's questionable.

I'm sorry but how many of you guys take a set of components, build them up inside a case and say "I made a PC"?

You all claim you made breakfast when all you did was pour cerial and milk into a dish.

The kid made that clock, it wasn't that way when he got it and he did make it look the way it looked, he made it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

A little bit of a let-down that the clock was already as put together as it was before Ahmed got to it, but taking stuff apart and putting it back together without breaking it is a useful stepping stone if you ever want to design something like that. Plus he let the 80s keep their faux-wood textures.

Once you have determined that the device is not a bomb, you can no longer claim a real bomb threat, you can only claim a hoax bomb threat. For that, you need intention, and the intention just isn't there. The handcuffs, the arrest, the taking him down to the police station, the fingerprinting, all over the top. These actions are all only associated with real criminals. They have to understand that innocent people subjected to this treatment may feel a little terrorized, and not unreasonably.

Didn't like, everyone know this?

Yea, but we needed something to drag the boy down  :rolleyes:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Didn't like, everyone know this?

Yeah, but loads of people are REALLY jealous that this kid gets to meet Barack Obama, Chris Hadfield and Mark Zuckerberg, and is getting all kinds of expensive tech for free.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah, but loads of people are REALLY jealous that this kid gets to meet Barack Obama, Chris Hadfield and Mark Zuckerberg, and is getting all kinds of expensive tech for free.

I built my own Arduino RGB controller for PC and this kid got free stuff for a fake clock

Its islamophobia and the media that got him the free stuff not the clock

I am Muslim myself and i believe that the media and the police overreacted. If they didnt, he wouldnt get free stuff 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Is meeting Mark Zuckerberg considered something to be jealous of?

I built my own Arduino RGB controller for PC and this kid got free stuff for a fake clock

Its islamophobia and the media that got him the free stuff not the clock

I am Muslim myself and i believe that the media and the police overreacted. If they didnt, he wouldnt get free stuff 

You didn't get arrested. Not that I'm saying he deserves everything he ended up getting, but getting arrested is kind of a big deal.

One of the best articles I've ever read from modern media.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/19/how-ahmeds-clock-became-a-false-convenient-tale-of-racism/

This entire debacle is proof of the racism of the "tolerant" left.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sure but if he had done it right he would have bought all the parts and programmed/ assembled it on his own. There are TONS of DIY make your own clock guides out there. All he did was take a working clock and put it back together. 

He didn't even take it apart and put it together, he took it out of the damn box. this was obvious from the start, hearing him talk about it and clearly knowing very little about it and the fact that they wouldn't show any images of it. This is obviously just a kid wanting to look smart, not some secret ploy. Take off the tinfoil hats guys.

So now we're bashing Ahmed because he didn't build a clock, he only reassembled it. Who gives a shit? Because he got a ton of Microsoft gear? Because of all the attention? Because of all the college acceptances? Now, I don't know if his parents told him to build it because they wanted to stir up trouble, BUT I can definitely see him bringing it in to show off. All I see right now is the media riding on the attention, a bunch of people and organizations wanting to be politically correct, and a bunch of jealous kids complaining how its unfair.

So now we're bashing Ahmed because he didn't build a clock, he only reassembled it. Who gives a shit? Because he got a ton of Microsoft gear? Because of all the attention? Because of all the college acceptances? Now, I don't know if his parents told him to build it because they wanted to stir up trouble, BUT I can definitely see him bringing it in to show off. All I see right now is the media riding on the attention, a bunch of people and organizations wanting to be politically correct, and a bunch of jealous kids complaining how its unfair.

I think the bit outlined in red is the bigger problem here. As the Article I linked earlier asked:

Where was the media when a white kid got suspended and his parents spent loads of money in court, for biting a poptart in the shape of a gun?

Where was the media when a white kid got suspended for saying "bless you" after someone sneezed?

Where was the media when a couple of white kids got suspended for wearing T-shirts with the American flag on it?

If there's any racism here, it's on the hands of the media. Not the moronic over-reaction of some teachers and police.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sorry but how many of you guys take a set of components, build them up inside a case and say "I made a PC"?

You all claim you made breakfast when all you did was pour cerial and milk into a dish.

The kid made that clock, it wasn't that way when he got it and he did make it look the way it looked, he made it.

I don't claim I "made" the PC, I say I "put it together" or "built it" and when the need arises I certainly don't pass it off as if I "made" the PC. But this boy specifically made it seem like he made it...claimed it even. Meanwhile kids who actually make things get looked over because they aren't apart of some Liberal agenda (yet).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

so you expect him to mine silicon copper and making his own clock from scratch of course he didnt do that. and anyone with knowledge of how a bomb works knows it doesnt resemble a bomb at all and they know it isnt a bomb if they thought it was a bomb the school would have been evacuated 

He was arrested for a bomb hoax. Even if he was white, he still could have been arrested for a bomb hoax. I mean...look at it.

he wasnt claiming it was a bomb omg he told everyone it was a clock -_-

Even if it wasn't a bomb and they knew it wasn't a bomb the whole time he still should have gotten a talking to by the principle at the very least.

Schools usually have a 0 tolerance policy to anything that even looks remotely like some kind of a weapon being brought into school.

A Nerf gun is clearly not a real gun but if any kid brought one to school they would likely at least call the parent about it.

Even if you do not like that policy, you agree to follow those rules when you send your child to the school

if i brought my school chromebook to school and they opened it up it would look pretty much like that clock and i should be arrested

the kid tried to get a quick A in science class trying to pull the fleece over the teachers eyes.. and then he got a surface pro 3.. good for him

it wasnt for a class and what do you expect him to do manufacture his own pcb, capacitors, resistors etc

Haven't read much of the thread but I have seen people being very harsh on Ahmed. I don't think he ever intended for things to turn out like this.
All he did was mess around with a clock and wanted to show his teacher. Then some teachers called the police (which I think was a bit of an overreaction but it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight) and the police was debating whether or not they should charge him for making a "fake bomb". I don't get why they were considering it at all because it seemed pretty obvious that he did not mean any harm and there was no actual danger.

Then the media got a hold of it and it blew up (no pun intended). So many companies jumped on board just to get some free publicity and so many people trying to push their political agenda. So now people are getting jealous of all the free stuff he is getting, and people who do not agree with the political aspects are getting mad as well, with poor Ahmed stuck in the middle.

It doesn't help that his father is pouring fuel on the fire with ignorant statements like this being an attack on Muslims either.

I think the best thing for Ahmed would be for this whole thing to die out so he could go back to his normal life.

-snip-

Dude... You can respond to multiple people in a single post. No need to make 4 posts in a row.

Haven't read much of the thread but I have seen people being very harsh on Ahmed. I don't think he ever intended for things to turn out like this.

All he did was mess around with a clock and wanted to show his teacher. Then some teachers called the police (which I think was a bit of an overreaction but it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight) and the police was debating whether or not they should charge him for making a "fake bomb". I don't get why they were considering it at all because it seemed pretty obvious that he did not mean any harm and there was no actual danger.

Then the media got a hold of it and it blew up (no pun intended). So many companies jumped on board just to get some free publicity and so many people trying to push their political agenda. So now people are getting jealous of all the free stuff he is getting, and people who do not agree with the political aspects are getting mad as well, with poor Ahmed stuck in the middle.

It doesn't help that his father is pouring fuel on the fire with ignorant statements like this being an attack on Muslims either.

I think the best thing for Ahmed would be for this whole thing to die out so he could go back to his normal life.

Dude... You can respond to multiple people in a single post. No need to make 4 posts in a row.

sorry i dont want to keep scrolling around and clicking back so i just put the reply thing in a new tab

Wellllllll... he disassembled a clock and rebuilt it, and got it working. How is that doing nothing?

Ever run a computer outside of a case? Yeah, same thing. He took it apart, a model that comes apart without disconnecting anything, and put it in a pencil box. He didn't reassemble anything, he just reinstalled it into a new chassis.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)