Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500,000 cars, Faces $18 Billion Fine Over Emissions Defeating Software

ThePointblank

More serious question, what is with that quote smile? :blink:

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

HNu2VaE.png

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

HNu2VaE.png
May be because I'm on mobile. Haha

I've been to Texas and back home to Georgia and the only vehicles I've ever seen have that much black shit come out of their exhaust are the public transit buses.

Side note.  That's improving, slowly.  Municipalities, outside of megacities, just don't have the funds to replace buses as they're crazy expensive.  Allison transmission has had an option available for several years.  Still has the same battery expense issues as most other workable green options... like there are houses that cost less then the battery expensive, but yea... 

anywho marketing pamphlet PDF

man im sick of people on facebook making jokes about this.

im not defending volkswagen but they are not the only one. and me living in germany id say we need to keep our mouths shut about this and wait and see how it ends. 

because german economy is greatly dependend on these companies and if we keep pocking and laughing this could end really really badly

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

because german economy is greatly dependend on these companies and if we keep pocking and laughing this could end really really badly

Its just the same nasty politic again, they dont like that the Germany has rock solid economy... And this will be an indirect blow to the EU. And as far as i know some peaple tested the same VW model here in europe and it was 30% under the EURO6 emission restrictions. The source i read:

http://totalcar.hu/magazin/hirek/2015/09/24/ujabb_erintettek_a_dizelbotranyban/

They say the tests conducted by The Sunday Times own laboratories...

And one more thing. If the US care about emissions why cant they sign the Kyoto Convention? :rolleyes:

Ants find the sugar.

If you took any of those VW cars and drove it on an open road in a manner designed to immitate the emissions testing procedure then the car would meet those emission standards.

So yes, while VW certainly gamed the system, the government(s) also royally screwed up by creating a testing system that does not correspond to real world type driving patterns.

That is actually the bigger problem.  Had the standards better approximated actual driving VW, nor anyone else, would have been able to get away with this.

This is beyond ridiculous and ignorant.. A vehicle running "corresponds to real world driving patterns." Nothing changes in operation between how we test emissions and actually driving on the road aside from the tires moving. The vehicle is tested (or at least supposed to be, some places slack on this) for it's rev range to check for emission levels. If you could tell me how that is different than running the engine while moving I would LOVE to see it.

Its just the same nasty politic again, they dont like that the Germany has rock solid economy... And this will be an indirect blow to the EU. And as far as i know some peaple tested the same VW model here in europe and it was 30% under the EURO6 emission restrictions. The source i read:

http://totalcar.hu/magazin/hirek/2015/09/24/ujabb_erintettek_a_dizelbotranyban/

They say the tests conducted by The Sunday Times own laboratories...

And one more thing. If the US care about emissions why cant they sign the Kyoto Convention? :rolleyes:

If that were remotely true then why would VW admit to the defeat systems, and why would management be resigning?  Think maybe you're looking for the facts you want to see.

though I can't read the link posted, can't translate it either at the moment (mobile)

If that were remotely true then why would VW admit to the defeat systems, and why would management be resigning?  Think maybe you're looking for the facts you want to see.

though I can't read the link posted, can't translate it either at the moment (mobile)

I think that goes for you... I written that it passes euro6 tests(and as you wrote they admitted it but as far as i know this program only present on USA models) and its interesting that the whole world aknowledges that standard. This whole case is stinking, why they only checked the german manufacturers for starters? :rolleyes: There is more to this case than meets the eye...

I'm just sat here wondering what's going to happen with Redbull/Toro Rosso in F1 in the future. There where strong rumours that they were approached by VW to buy them out (or possibly build engines for them). At the moment Redbull/Toro Rosso have no engines for next year.

I'm just sat here wondering what's going to happen with Redbull/Toro Rosso in F1 in the future. There where strong rumours that they were approached by VW to buy them out (or possibly build engines for them). At the moment Redbull/Toro Rosso have no engines for next year.

I assure you that any F1 engines that VW would make would be far removed from this issue.

However depending on how VWs financials end up when this dust settles, they may not be in a place to buy and F1 team. I would doubt they will be so hard up that they would be unable to build engines for F1 though.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

..Nothing changes in operation between how we test emissions and actually driving on the road aside from the tires moving..

That is as obvious a statement of ignorance as could be made.

Just stop and consider that, if the wheels are not moving then the engine is not operating under any sort of load - making it about as far from real world as possible.

That's really messed up, better sell my shares!!! lol 

better look at the other car companies that the volkswagon group owns.  plus from what i have read US gov wont hit them so hard financially as to bankrupt them.  i also read somewhere, forgot where, but the max fine from the epa is like 36k per vehicle.

As for the talk about global warming, the issue claimed is that the earth is warming up. well that sounds like the earths cooling system needs an upgrade.  i recommend water cooling for this.

Didn't Audi (a subsidiary of VW) recently also admit their models are affected as well? Or is that old news already.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

EV's are safer then gas cars.

electrical fires are far less common than gasoline fires. If an EV catches fire, everyone and their dog hears about it. Gasoline car catches fire? Nobody gives a shit.

wow, I thought better of Volkswagon

Yeah but volkswagon did this on purpose. 

081.gif

Didn't Audi (a subsidiary of VW) recently also admit their models are affected as well? Or is that old news already.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

And Skoda...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

electrical fires are far less common than gasoline fires. If an EV catches fire, everyone and their dog hears about it. Gasoline car catches fire? Nobody gives a shit.

depends on what you're basing it on. They're are far far far less EVs on the road than conventional combustion cars so of course there wouldn't be as many reports of fires. 

I think that goes for you... I written that it passes euro6 tests(and as you wrote they admitted it but as far as i know this program only present on USA models) and its interesting that the whole world aknowledges that standard. This whole case is stinking, why they only checked the german manufacturers for starters? :rolleyes: There is more to this case than meets the eye...

On what basis do you claim that US is or have only looked at German manufacturers?  And we should probably step away from this national spin your reaching for cause its about VW, not VW BMW Mercedes opel etc.

better look at the other car companies that the volkswagen group owns.  plus from what i have read US gov wont hit them so hard financially as to bankrupt them.  i also read somewhere, forgot where, but the max fine from the epa is like 36k per vehicle.

As for the talk about global warming, the issue claimed is that the earth is warming up. well that sounds like the earths cooling system needs an upgrade.  i recommend water cooling for this.

Erm, have you done the math on that?

First off, the EPA is rumoured to be fining them $18Bn USD. That's not enough to outright bankrupt them, but it's enough that if VW's sales sag next year, they could still go under.

Now you follow up by saying that the max fine per vehicle is $36,000 USD. There are 500,000 affected cars in the US.

$36,000 x 500,000 =  $18Bn USD

$36k per car adds up VERY QUICKLY. Not to mention that plenty of these cars are worth less than $36k. You can buy a Diesel Jetta or Golf for under $30k.

And that's JUST the EPA fining them. Not to mention Environment Canada, or the European Environment Agency. Between the three agencies, VW could stand to lose significantly more than $18Bn USD - which is already more then they made in profit in the entire year of 2014.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

With modern engines being on fire generally isn't a thing unless it's destroyed or faulty. See 2008 jeeps...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory