Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500,000 cars, Faces $18 Billion Fine Over Emissions Defeating Software

ThePointblank

i am insanely pissed off by this. I have been a VW fan for years. I even considered buying one of these diesel cars.

The 2 options they have are software update that would reduce performance and/or milage or adding those urea things that the luxury brands have.

They will most likely go the cheaper software route since it's cheaper than the urea tank. I personally believe they should go with the urea, they promised 35mpg, they better keep that around!

This BS is making me reconsider VW for my next car, but nobody else does nice diesel wagons that I know of so I'm kinda torn over this crap.

If it was that simple as a software fix, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of engineering a cheat. My guess is that without the software fix, in order to get emissions down to a level that was acceptable, there was a significant penalty to performance and fuel economy. For the vehicles equipped with the urea injection system, the update may cause slightly more urea to be consumed which isn't really a big deal. On the vehicles that don't have the system, there will be a significant performance and fuel economy penalty; there's no way VW will be able to retrofit those vehicles due to a lack of space.

Yea..cause they're shit.

I understand the need, but they were gutless, inefficient and more costly to maintain with all the iterative changes to the fuel, exhaust and intake systems over the years while the oil boys slowly made the changes to their game.

Lots of truckers lost their shirts being caught in the middle having to pay everyone more and getting less mpg and less $/mile at the same time.

Yeah you are definitly right. I have heard a lot of stories of people getting raked over the coals because of the move to cleaner diesal fuel and how poorly it works in engines. It one of those things where both outcomes hurt someone. high sulfur diesal is better for engines, cheaper to make etc. but it has pretty nasty health affects.

I am amazed at how they thought they wpuld get away from this. It is like the remote car hacking all over again and just shows how out of the loop car companies are.

Regarding climate change, it is my field of work and I would really appreciate if people stoped talking out of their asses about stuff they know nothing about.

So they should go back to largely ignoring the issue? One would think if it was your field of work you'd be doing more educating instead of pointless condemning .

-------

Current Rig

-------

On the vehicles that don't have the system, there will be a significant performance and fuel economy penalty; there's no way VW will be able to retrofit those vehicles due to a lack of space.

Mercedes fits the urea tanks in by removing the spare tire and fitting the entire compartment with the equipment

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Soooo they where just unlucky to get caught. But most industries uses tricks like this. I mean the motor can actually run on the low emission rating, but it loses some performance so it get's "boosted" after the test was passed but before shipping.

Hell, even my MoBo has on option to use moderate signal rising / falling times to pass the EMI test. But every overclokcer will disable it at the beginning to achive more performance.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ants find the sugar.

If you took any of those VW cars and drove it on an open road in a manner designed to immitate the emissions testing procedure then the car would meet those emission standards.

So yes, while VW certainly gamed the system, the government(s) also royally screwed up by creating a testing system that does not correspond to real world type driving patterns.

That is actually the bigger problem.  Had the standards better approximated actual driving VW, nor anyone else, would have been able to get away with this.

If you took any of those VW cars and drove it on an open road in a manner designed to immitate the emissions testing procedure then the car would meet those emission standards.

in this case you'll have to somehow fool the car to believe it's not actually moving while driving....

would be fun to see how this could be turned on it's head to game the gaming of the system xD

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

in this case you'll have to somehow fool the car to believe it's not actually moving while driving....

would be fun to see how this could be turned on it's head to game the gaming of the system xD

Still doesn't change the fact that a system that allows gaming will be gamed.

It's the same as governments that establish particular sorts of tax breaks then whine when people take advantage of those "loopholes."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YES!!! This is payback for German snubbing after we built their whole damn infrastructure for them after WWII and made it far better than anything else in the world at the time. That, and VW's cars have electrical problems out the yin-yang. I refuse to buy one for the next 6 years after some of the crap that happened to my Dad's Jetta.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Ants find the sugar.

So yes, while VW certainly gamed the system, the government(s) also royally screwed up by creating a testing system that does not correspond to real world type driving patterns.

That is actually the bigger problem.  Had the standards better approximated actual driving VW, nor anyone else, would have been able to get away with this.

While the testing standards do not recreate real world driving, my understanding is this: most manufactures creat a "test mode" so that the traction control does not freak out when they test them (apprently they are not standard dynos) and when the VWs knew they were in testmode, the would change how fuel was delivered to cheat the system. So they activly tried to get around it 

So they should go back to largely ignoring the issue? One would think if it was your field of work you'd be doing more educating instead of pointless condemning .

Yes and I would write this huge wall of tezt rebuting what everyobe had said point by point and it would be pointless. Want some education on the issue: man made global warming is real and it is happening. There.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

... So they activly tried to get around it

Yes, and - in other words- the testing system does not correspond to real world type driving patterns.

Which means it can be gamed.

Volkswagen cheated because it was possible to cheat.  They can be punished after the fact, but the damage has been done (and largely it has been done to anyone who bought one of those vehicles.)  Unless the testing system is changed to prevent this sort of gaming it will continue to be an ongoing problem.

You do know that there are companies who sell aftermarket devices that will do pretty much the same thing to many other vehicles? 

bS1VSrF.gif

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

what is even the point if the emission control systems are there  :blink: I doubt most VW customers care much about slightly higher performance

As a current VW Customer with a 2014 Jetta, I highly disagree. Any performance I can squeeze out of it, I appreciate :P Granted, I have a gasoline engine, not the TDI Diesel.

Looks like enough to put em straight out of business.

Not necessarily:

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=VOW3:GER

According to this, VAG had about $40Bn USD in Cash Reserves, as of end of 2014. It is DEFINITELY a sizeable chunk of money, and it WILL hurt them though, since they only made about $12Bn USD (give or take a bit) of Net Profit in 2014.

VAG also has excellent cash flow. Last year they cleared $200Bn USD in Revenue.

Gross margin 18.84% Net profit margin 5.19% Operating margin 6.28%

They can and will survive this. But it'll hurt. Expect HEAVY discounts (Multiple thousand dollar cashback incentives, more 0% financing, "employee" pricing, etc) in the next 6 months from VW, as they try and clear stock and regain customer loyalty and trust.

Yes and I would write this huge wall of tezt rebuting what everyobe had said point by point and it would be pointless. Want some education on the issue: man made global warming is real and it is happening. There.

While I agree with you, I believe Climate Change is real, and humanity is accelerating it at a dangerous speed, your post is just as useless as those spouting Climate Change bullshit.

If you're gonna call someone out for posting bullshit, don't post bullshit in return. Respond with facts, proof, evidence, sources. Otherwise you're just as bad as the Climate Change deniers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If a car would be so inefficient as to produce 40 times the pollution that is deemed acceptable in other cars, no one would have bought it in the first place due to outlandishly bad fuel efficiency.

Yeah VW did something wrong, but was there a need to exaggerate that much?

It's not the way it works really

(sorry for sharing a video from the verge, their video was the only one I found)

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YES!!! This is payback for German snubbing after we built their whole damn infrastructure for them after WWII and made it far better than anything else in the world at the time. That, and VW's cars have electrical problems out the yin-yang. I refuse to buy one for the next 6 years after some of the crap that happened to my Dad's Jetta.

Generalise much? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Generalise much? 

Agreed. @patrickjp93 c'mon, you're smarter then that. You're really going to generalize an entire Country, as well as a Company, based off the experience of one car? That's like someone saying Intel is utter shit because some dude's Haswell CPU ran too hot because of the shitty TIM under the spreader. You and I both know that Intel is not shit, despite the fact that occasionally, some people do have isolated problems with Intel products.

I have a VW Jetta, and I've experienced no electrical issues at all. My old Buick Regal had way more electrical issues. One time, it got to a point where if I turned on the left or right signal indicators, the car would stall itself.

Does that mean every VW Jetta is great and every Buick Regal is shit? No, of course not. It means that you need to look at the bigger picture, and I haven't heard too many issues about VW having poor electrics.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Agreed. @patrickjp93 c'mon, you're smarter then that. You're really going to generalize an entire Country, as well as a Company, based off the experience of one car? That's like someone saying Intel is utter shit because some dude's Haswell CPU ran too hot because of the shitty TIM under the spreader. You and I both know that Intel is not shit, despite the fact that occasionally, some people do have isolated problems with Intel products.

I have a VW Jetta, and I've experienced no electrical issues at all. My old Buick Regal had way more electrical issues. One time, it got to a point where if I turned on the left or right signal indicators, the car would stall itself.

Does that mean every VW Jetta is great and every Buick Regal is shit? No, of course not. It means that you need to look at the bigger picture, and I haven't heard too many issues about VW having poor electrics.

I didn't generalize the country. Germany itself is a big hub of industry and innovation. It was still a pretty thankless country after the U.S. left having rebuilt everything far better than it had been before WWII.

My dad works for a German company that says to avoid buying audi and VW specifically because of prolific electrical issues and that it's common for both the European and German sales. That was 5 years ago mind you, but I look at the long trend. VW deserves every cent of this fine.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Oh man, stop throwing all the shit at VW, save some for the others as well. At the present state of diesel tech no manufacturer can comply with the insane US regulations for diesel emissions... Or even if its comply it will be weak and pretty much useless.

pollute less

#Tesla Everywhere

Oh sheeeit

Hitler would be proud.

REDLINECore i7 6700k 4.8ghz 1.37v.Noctua NH-u12s.MSI Z170A Gaming M7.16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury Black.MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB Crossfire + GTX 780 PhysX.Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD.Fractal Design Define R5 Midi Black.SeaSonic X Series 1050w Gold.Logitech G302 Deadalus Prime.Ducky DK2108 Zero Mech Cherry Blue.

As a current VW Customer with a 2014 Jetta, I highly disagree. Any performance I can squeeze out of it, I appreciate :P Granted, I have a gasoline engine, not the TDI Diesel.

Fair enough, but that's a sedan, most of vw's sales come from golfs and polos. And those seeking performance will go with gasoline of course.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now walk the aisle of shame.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx