Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500,000 cars, Faces $18 Billion Fine Over Emissions Defeating Software

ThePointblank

From The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/business/volkswagen-is-ordered-to-recall-nearly-500000-vehicles-over-emissions-software.html

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday directed Volkswagen to recall nearly a half-million cars, saying the automaker illegally installed software in its diesel-power cars to evade standards for reducing smog.

The Environmental Protection Agency accused the German automaker of using software to detect when the car is undergoing its periodic state emissions testing. Only during such tests are the cars’ full emissions control systems turned on. During normal driving situations, the controls are turned off, allowing the cars to spew as much as 40 times as much pollution as allowed under the Clean Air Act, the E.P.A. said.

“We expected better from Volkswagen,” said Cynthia Giles, the E.P.A.’s assistant administrator for the Office of Enforcement and Compliance. She called the automaker’s actions “a threat to public health.”

Agency officials issued the car company a notice of violation and said it had admitted to the use of a so-called defeat device. The recall involves 4-cylinder Volkswagen and Audi vehicles from model years 2009-15.

A spokeswoman for Volkswagen confirmed that the company had received the notice and said the automaker was cooperating with the investigation. She declined to comment further on the case.

The software was designed to conceal the cars’ emission of the pollutant nitrogen oxide, which contributes to the creation of ozone and smog. The pollutants are linked to a range of health problems, including asthma attacks, other respiratory diseases and premature death.

Experts in automotive technology said that disengaging the pollution controls on a diesel-fueled car can yield better performance, including increased torque and acceleration.

“When the pollution controls are functioning on these vehicles, there’s a trade-off between performance and emissions,” said Drew Kodjak, executive director of the International Council on Clean Transportation, a research group. “This is cutting corners.”

It was Mr. Kodjak’s group, in conducting research on diesel vehicles, that first noticed the discrepancy between Volkswagen’s emissions in testing laboratories and on the road. They brought the issue to the attention of the E.P.A., which conducted further tests on the cars, and ultimately discovered the use of the defeat device software.

The recall covers roughly 482,000 diesel passenger cars sold in the United States since 2009.

Affected diesel models include the 2009-15 Volkswagen Jetta, 2009-15 Beetle, 2009-15 Golf, 2014-15 Passat and 2009-15 Audi A3.

Friday’s notice of violation was the Obama administration’s “opening salvo” in the Volkswagen case, said Thomas Reynolds, an E.P.A. spokesman. The Justice Department’s investigation could ultimately result in fines or penalties for the company. Under the terms of the Clean Air Act, the Justice Department could impose fines of as much as $37,500 for each recalled vehicle, for a possible total penalty of as much as $18 billion.

Ouch, I wonder who at Volkswagen approved installing the emissions testing defeating software and who's going to loose their job as a result. Being forced to recall half a million cars to be retrofitted, plus a potential $18 billion fine is going to cost dearly. Also, there is a potential that whatever Volkswagen does to disable the software could end up degrading performance, which could lead to a costly class action lawsuit from owners as well.

Update 9/24/2015: To include timeline of events for background:

May 30 2014:

Study by International Council on Clean Transportation with equipment from the West Virginia University (WVU) Centre for Alternative Fuels, Engines and Emission finds that VW's 2.0L 4 cylinder TDI diesel cars produce significantly higher emissions than that was permitted or stated: http://www.theicct.org/use-emissions-testing-light-duty-diesel-vehicles-us

WVU alerts California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to the issue.

Summer 2014: VW continues to assert to CARB and the EPA that the increased emissions from these vehicles could be attributed to various technical issues and unexpected in-use conditions.

Late 2014:

Volkswagen begins to work on an ECU recall to fix emissions after being notified. CARB does testing to confirm the results, which still showed that 4 cylinder Volkswagen diesel vehicles failed emissions testing.

December 2014:

Volkswagen begins to issue voluntary recall on affected models, reprogramming the ECU in North American TDI vehicles.

May 6 2015:

CARB, in coordination with the EPA, conducts follow-up testing of these vehicles both in the laboratory and during normal road operation to confirm the effectiveness of the fix provided by Volkswagen's recall. The results show limited effectiveness.

Sept 3 2015: With a threat from CARB and the EPA that they would not issue certificate of conformity for Volkswagen’s 2016 diesel vehicles, effectively preventing sales of 2016 model year diesels until the manufacturer can adequately explain the anomalous emissions, Volkswagen admits to designing and installed a defeat device in these vehicles.

Sept 18 2015:

EPA announces a violation of Clean Air Act by Volkswagen after they confirmed discovery of defeat device on a number of 4 cylinder diesel Volkswagen models: http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/dfc8e33b5ab162b985257ec40057813b!opendocument

CARB issues a compliance letter to Volkswagen, detailing violations and concerns: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.htm

Volkswagen issues "Stop Sales" order to all dealers for all new TDI models affected, plus TDI versions of the Audi A3. The stop sales order also includes used vehicles as well.

Sept 19 2015:

Consumer Reports pulls "Recommended" rating on all Volkswagen vehicles affected: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/consumer-reports-pulls-recommended-rating-for-vw-tdi-models.html

Sept 20 2015:

Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn issues an apology, orders an independent investigation into company by a third party: http://media.vw.com/release/1066/

Sept 21 2015:

Volkswagen looses 15 billion euros, or $16.9 billion US in market value as a result of the emissions scandal:http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/volkswagen-just-lost-billions-in-post-scandal-stock-slide.html

Volkswagen Canada announces a stop sale order for all Volkswagen models affected: http://www.autos.ca/general-news/vw-alleged-to-have-rigged-diesel-engines-for-cleaner-emissions-test-results/

Sept 22 2015:

Volkswagen admits up to 11 million cars worldwide could be affected by the emissions cheat. 6.5 billion euros (or $7.3 billion US) has been set aside by Volkswagen to deal with the fallout. CEO Martin Winterkorn is rumoured to be stepping down as a result of the scandal: http://www.tflcar.com/2015/09/vw-tdi-dieselgate-scandal-affects-11-million-cars-vw-ceo-to-step-down-news/

A class-action lawsuit is filed against Volkswagen by a US law firm as a result of the ongoing scandal: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/volkswagen-just-got-hit-with-a-class-action-lawsuit.html

The EPA is reviewing the test results for Volkswagen's 3.0L V6 diesel engine as a result as scandal, which could affect other Volkswagen group brands, Audi and Porsche: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1100154_vw-troubles-could-become-audi-and-porsche-problems

Sept 23 2015:

Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn resigns over the emissions scandal.

Environment Canada announces a probe into the Volkswagen emissions scandal: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/european-business/pressure-builds-on-vw-ceo-as-emissions-cheating-probe-spreads/article26468625/

Sept 24 2015:

German Transport Minister confirms European Volkswagen vehicles are also affected by the emissions cheat: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/european-vws-are-affected

Volkswagen US Chief and a number of other executives are rumoured to be dismissed as a result of the scandal: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/vw-us-chief-other-execs-expected-to-be-dismissed.html

wow, I thought better of Volkswagon 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

That hefty fine though. Jesus!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

wow, I thought better of Volkswagon 

That's really messed up, better sell my shares!!! lol 

It's a good thing you two don't keep track of how many recalls GM, Toyota (especially these asswipes) do. The numbers are in millions.

Toyota even released an entire series where the throttle would get stuck and that was just a few years ago...

That hefty fine though. Jesus!

The only way to fine multi-billion dollar companies is and should be with billions of dollars. Otherwise they just brush it off.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Read about this and I don't quite believe it. I believe that emissions are higher but 40 times? I'm skeptical about that part. Not to offend anyone, but it's ironical when the US tells you that your cars are producing too much pollution.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It's a good thing you two don't keep track of how many recalls GM, Toyota (especially these asswipes) do. The numbers are in millions.

Toyota even released an entire series where the throttle would get stuck and that was just a few years ago...

Yeah but volkswagon did this on purpose. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yeah but volkswagon did this on purpose. 

I doubt they did. They are way too profitable and doing way too good to risk doing something stupid like that. Besides, that 40x pollution sounds like such a bullshit line. I'm not defending them, don't get me wrong, but I smell bullshit a mile away...

the VAG is in trouble, thats a major fine.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Since this was really dick move from Volkwagon, i suppose they will just fire factory workers, cut wages and stuff ya know.. :P

Sounds like the worst part of this to me.

Nevermind the people that will be put out of work as a result of this, WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE POLAR BEARS?!

If a car would be so inefficient as to produce 40 times the pollution that is deemed acceptable in other cars, no one would have bought it in the first place due to outlandishly bad fuel efficiency.

Yeah VW did something wrong, but was there a need to exaggerate that much?

When it comes to pollution and climate change? Yes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Sadly nobody in the EU cares about "special software" in cars.

Its good that you care about pollution and climate change. But that good is all for nought if you think its ok to mislead and deceive others.

I was making a comment about how what we see reported about climate change, being about as accurate as the report that said there were WMD's in Iraq.

In both situations, the reality is "lie through your teeth, make money".

I was making a comment about how what we see reported about climate change, being about as accurate as the report that said there were WMD's in Iraq.

In both situations, the reality is "lie through your teeth, make money".

agreed. I have serious doubts (as do many scientists) if some emissions trading work as claimed. particularly planting trees due to time needed to yield results. And the maths of how much co2 is produced and how much the counters actually remove isnt exactly fullly trusted. I think co2 sequetrastion is going to be much better if we can make it work..

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

agreed. I have serious doubts (as do many scientists) if some emissions trading work as claimed. particularly planting trees due to time needed to yield results. And the maths of how much co2 is produced and how much the counters actually remove isnt exactly fullly trusted. I think co2 sequetrastion is going to be much better if we can make it work..

I honestly think our effect on the environment, as far as climate change goes, is being grossly over-stated so that green companies can get a shit load of money from consumers and governments. I don't deny climate change is happening, I merely doubt how much we have effected it.

Just an FYI, for those who have no knowledge of Earth's history, climate change has happened before, before humanity existed for that matter. It IS a naturally occurring process.

I honestly think our effect on the environment, as far as climate change goes, is being grossly over-stated so that green companies can get a shit load of money from consumers and governments. I don't deny climate change is happening, I merely doubt how much we have effected it.

Just an FYI, for those who have no knowledge of Earth's history, climate change has happened before, before humanity existed for that matter. It IS a naturally occurring process.

i hontestly agree with you on that. i do think antipollution is good though. Also i think if we have caused it as much as claimed it may be unstoppable due to human nature. We should plan for what will happen when it does rather than waste our time stopping global warming which is barely working and costs a mint.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

i hontestly agree with you on that. i do think antipollution is good though. Also i think if we have caused it as much as claimed it may be unstoppable due to human nature. We should plan for what will happen when it does rather than waste our time stopping global warming which is barely working and costs a mint.

It's not that it's barely working, it's that it cannot work. You might as well try and stop the tide.

Do we need to pollute less? Of course. But our bigger concern needs to be space travel. No amount of technology will make any planet forever habitable.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Just barely dodged that bullet  :lol: 08 golf

+ petrol and not in the us.

The title scared me a bit though

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

but then again these cars are not recalled because they are faulty, but because they were designed to cheat on the emission test.

For example if you go on VW US youtube site, you will see that all the ads for diesel cars are taken down due to the fact that now they are false as hell

It's not that it's barely working, it's that it cannot work. You might as well try and stop the tide.

Do we need to pollute less? Of course. But our bigger concern needs to be space travel. No amount of technology will make any planet forever habitable.

unless negative energy mass shows up the human race pretty much cant leave...(and thats assuming warp drives dont require impossible energy requirements like energy equivalent to mass bigger than our whole planet)

unless negative energy mass shows up the human race pretty much cant leave...(and thats assuming warp drives dont require impossible energy requirements like energy equivalent to mass bigger than our whole planet)

If that's the case (and I refuse to believe that inter-stellar travel is impossible) then life is utterly pointless, and doomed to failure, so we might as well give up on trying to fix the planet, or pollution, and just get down to a global orgy.

what is even the point if the emission control systems are there  :blink: I doubt most VW customers care much about slightly higher performance

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If that's the case (and I refuse to believe that inter-stellar travel is impossible) then life is utterly pointless, and doomed to failure, so we might as well give up on trying to fix the planet, or pollution, and just get down to a global orgy.

lets make the assumption it is. chances are we will destroy ourselves with nuclear war first...