Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500,000 cars, Faces $18 Billion Fine Over Emissions Defeating Software

ThePointblank

Fair enough, but that's a sedan, most of vw's sales come from golfs and polos. And those seeking performance will go with gasoline of course.

And those seeking fuel efficiency will go with diesel.

Still,  the popularity of diesel engines is getting behind gasolines nowadays. It seems that small gasoline engines with turbines is the way the industry is going. Naturally aspirated ones are endangered "species"

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

#Tesla Everywhere

Electric vehicles generally create more pollution during the manufacturing process than traditional internal combustion engine vehicles do in their entire lifetimes. Although gasoline isn't a renewable fuel source (although ethanol and diesel are renewable)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Electric vehicles generally create more pollution during the manufacturing process than traditional internal combustion engine vehicles do in their entire lifetimes. Although gasoline isn't a renewable fuel source (although ethanol and diesel are renewable)

Give it a little more time. The paths will cross

Give it a little more time. The paths will cross

....wat? (more detail needed, very drunk right now lol)

....wat? (more detail needed, very drunk right now lol)

Population Of EV

versus

Population of Gas

ypu said EV's were more

give it some time it will drop.

Population Of EV

versus

Population of Gas

ypu said EV's were more

give it some time it will drop.

I'm talking about all the forms of pollution created from mining and processing the materials to make the batteries of the EV's.

I'm talking about all the forms of pollution created from mining and processing the materials to make the batteries of the EV's.

Dont forget about the dead batteries, taking care of the hazardous waste is not a simple thing... Not to mention the high voltage which pose a bigger threat to your life than a diesel engine.

Dont forget about the dead batteries, taking care of the hazardous waste is not a simple thing... Not to mention the high voltage which pose a bigger threat to your life than a diesel engine.

I wouldn't know about high voltages (not good with electricity) but as for dealing with the waste, I would think that it could be recycled into fresh batteries.

. Not to mention the high voltage which pose a bigger threat to your life than a diesel engine.

EV's are safer then gas cars.

So what happens now that VW has stated that the cheating software is installed on 11 million cars globally?

http://time.com/4050270/volkswagen-emissions-cheating-software-cars/

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

On the upside of things, it gonna be a lot cheaper to get a diesel car in the next couple months. I'm personally buying one for a good deal.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

On the upside of things, it gonna be a lot cheaper to get a diesel car in the next couple months. I'm personally buying one for a good deal.

Depends on how VW and the EPA move forward. For the 2015 model year vehicles, as they are equipped with a urea injection system, should be a fairly simple software change to increase the urea injection rate to bring emissions down to compliance levels.

For older vehicles, there may be significant re-engineering efforts done, and VW might just conduct a buyback program because of the technical difficulties + cost involved, and scrap all of the vehicles involved. We are talking about essentially 3 generations of VW diesel cars involved in the recall, so there will be significant engineering challenges to retrofit older vehicles to bring them into compliance.

I wouldn't know about high voltages (not good with electricity) but as for dealing with the waste, I would think that it could be recycled into fresh batteries.

Not all parts of the battery can be recycled as far as i know. As for high voltage just google for it, the more powerful the vehicle the higher the voltage to keep ampers in bay...

EV's are safer then gas cars.

Well i wouldnt bet on it. And these cars still have a very short range. In its current state its a dead end....

So what happens now that VW has stated that the cheating software is installed on 11 million cars globally?

http://time.com/4050270/volkswagen-emissions-cheating-software-cars/

Oh man Italy is going to take them to the cleaners.  Italy spends a lot of money meticulously cleaning their landmarks to scrap exhaust crud off historical monuments and buildings.  If for no other reason then to point the finger elsewhere and recoup some of the cost in the maintenance. 

And, purely speculative, but Italy assembles a fair number of diesel motors themselves(from what I recall), though I think Daimler-benz bought most of them awhile back amidst Euro crisis, and a bit of a different market too (AG & 4x4)...which could mean Daimler could offer pressure against VW from behind a political curtain for competitive gain/injury...but that's probably overthinking on outdated info.

Not all parts of the battery can be recycled as far as i know. As for high voltage just google for it, the more powerful the vehicle the higher the voltage to keep ampers in bay...

Well i wouldnt bet on it. And these cars still have a very short range. In its current state its a dead end....

265 Miles = Short 

HAHAHAHHAH

and elon said by 2018 model s will be at ~500

Oh man, stop throwing all the shit at VW, save some for the others as well. At the present state of diesel tech no manufacturer can comply with the insane US regulations for diesel emissions... Or even if its comply it will be weak and pretty much useless.

Not true. We've had the tech to get 50mpg and have high power for a decade. The problem is slow car companies.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

265 Miles = Short 

HAHAHAHHAH

and elon said by 2018 model s will be at ~500

Even if that is true for what price? :rolleyes: And there is still a big problem, the long charge cycle and the lifetime of the battery...

Read about this and I don't quite believe it. I believe that emissions are higher but 40 times? I'm skeptical about that part. Not to offend anyone, but it's ironical when the US tells you that your cars are producing too much pollution.

No, its not ironic.

Even if that is true for what price? :rolleyes: And there is still a big problem, the long charge cycle and the lifetime of the battery...

is 10 year warranty not long enough? + it will last A lot longer then that.

model s gets ~500 in 2018

the model 3 will get the ~300+.

on launch

No, its not ironic.

It is here since for many Europeans (not talking about my country only) the US is a symbol for country that gives birth to most polluting cars. That changed a bit true, that's why I said not to offend anyone.  :P  Some of the "lowest green score" cars are still from US but as I said, that is changing. I suppose that is since we always see pics like this from the US.

coal_rolling.jpg

http://www.infoplease.com/world/transportation/greenest-meanest-cars.html

http://www.greenercars.org/greenest-meanest/meanest

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It is here since for many Europeans (not talking about my country only) the US is a symbol for country that gives birth to most polluting cars. That changed a bit true, that's why I said not to offend anyone. [emoji14] Some of the "lowest green score" cars are still from US but as I said, that is changing. I suppose that is since we always see pics like this from the US.

coal_rolling.jpg

http://www.infoplease.com/world/transportation/greenest-meanest-cars.html

http://www.greenercars.org/greenest-meanest/meanest

I've been to Texas and back home to Georgia and the only vehicles I've ever seen have that much black shit come out of their exhaust are the public transit buses.

I really think there's a misconstrued image about that.

I've been to Texas and back home to Georgia and the only vehicles I've ever seen have that much black shit come out of their exhaust are the public transit buses.

I really think there's a misconstrued image about that.

More serious question, what is with that quote smile?  :blink:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.