Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
1 hour ago, Slumberjack said:

Haha the Sig is a little too picky for cheap mags unfortunately, so far it seems to only like the mags it came with and Wilson Combats

Lol, my two Colts don’t care.  They’re like, “oh, it’s made for 1911s?  It holds ammo?  We’ll freaking use it!”

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That's a good plan. Usually there's a "Practice" event during the week where the rules are a little more relaxed, and people are going to be more willing to talk you through things. Nothing is very complicated but there's just a few things to know. Attend these practice days and ask questions, people will be more than happy to help you out. 

you'll need at least 5 mags for whichever gun you choose, a decent holster, belt and mag carriers. You don't need to get fancy race stuff for now. If you get really serious you can go hog wild in the future. In my club it's really only the Open division guy's that run a real race setup, everyone else has more duty oriented equipment that does the job. 

Dont try to be fast on your first day, that's the biggest mistake I see people make. No one is impressed with how fast you get through a stage. No one. Take all the time you need to make good hits. For the first couple of months I didnt care at all about the timer, just concentrated on getting alpha hits, and the time at the end was just the time. After a while you'll naturally speed up and now I'm pretty well in the mix. 

It's a ton of fun. The problem is that it sucks a lot of the fun out of flat range shooting haha. 

I think my primary goal for the first few visits will be to just not get DQ'd lol. Before any of that though, I need to re-up my ammo stocks as I'm down to maybe 500 rounds of 9mm range ammo, and nothing but a handful of home defense stuff in .45. Been waiting to pick up a cheap case of both, but that's been a pain ever since reddit shut down r/gundeals :(

25 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Lol, my two Colts don’t care.  They’re like, “oh, it’s made for 1911s?  It holds ammo?  We’ll freaking use it!”

Yeah I'm guessing the Sig's issue is some of the modern design deviations it has going for it like the giant external extractor. It's picky about mags but if I keep it happy it chugs right through any ammo I put in it without issue, including hollow points, which is usually the more traditional style 1911's biggest pain point much as I hate to admit it.

8 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

I think my primary goal for the first few visits will be to just not get DQ'd lol.

Haha Good plan! 

8 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Before any of that though, I need to re-up my ammo stocks as I'm down to maybe 500 rounds of 9mm range ammo, and nothing but a handful of home defense stuff in .45. Been waiting to pick up a cheap case of both, but that's been a pain ever since reddit shut down r/gundeals :(

Have you looked at SGAmmo.com? They've always done well for me. 

https://www.sgammo.com/

You'll need a lot of ammo haha.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

12 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Yeah I'm guessing the Sig's issue is some of the modern design deviations it has going for it like the giant external extractor. It's picky about mags but if I keep it happy it chugs right through any ammo I put in it without issue, including hollow points, which is usually the more traditional style 1911's biggest pain point much as I hate to admit it.

My one 1911 is of the more traditional design, no issues with hollow points here 

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Kinky?

hehehehe

fleshlights for rifles.

XMTA70A.jpg

I have 4 suppressors, two in 30cal, two in .223 cal, all magnum rated. I don't even bother to wear ear pro anymore, and nether does anyone at the range (including the dog). I didn't buy them for the cool factor, i bought them because i can shoot whenever, wherever and not worry about "enhancing" my already bad tinnitus.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Gun store in Boise had two of these, really nice condition. How much did yours run you?

picked it up for $500 only because its still brand new in the box.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

How I sight in.

Vortex Razer Gen 2 in Milrads.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

259 rounds through that upper today. Two failures during feeding, both with those 25rd mags loaded to 25rd. Overall, happy with 6.5 Grendel.

Also fired the old Luger, few misfeeds at first. Smooth sailing after mag 3.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

So, I'm a bit disappointed.  I got that MantisX system that's supposed to help show whether I'm holding the gun wrong while shooting.  I tested it at home with dry firing and it seemed to work okay (if a bit oversensitive).  I took it to the range, and couldn't get it to recognize when I shot for the life of me.  $150 device and it just sat there blankly while I fired.  I finally just gave up and finished shooting without it.  Got home, uninstalled the app and tried again, and it finally worked.

Gonna try again this coming Tuesday, and hopefully it works better this next time.  Otherwise, I guess I'll be contacting their support.

7 hours ago, Jito463 said:

So, I'm a bit disappointed.  I got that MantisX system that's supposed to help show whether I'm holding the gun wrong while shooting.  I tested it at home with dry firing and it seemed to work okay (if a bit oversensitive).  I took it to the range, and couldn't get it to recognize when I shot for the life of me.  $150 device and it just sat there blankly while I fired.  I finally just gave up and finished shooting without it.  Got home, uninstalled the app and tried again, and it finally worked.

Gonna try again this coming Tuesday, and hopefully it works better this next time.  Otherwise, I guess I'll be contacting their support.

Seems like trying to mix tech with shooting never works quite right. My buddy who runs a shop got one of those multi-thousand dollar sims installed and while it's fun, I'll take training in a red card range all day over that thing. It's cool that the MantisX can run during live fire, but if it folds under fire(hur hur) than it's probably just reinforcing bad behavior.

On a side note, got into a conversation on reddit that got me thinking. My fellow pistol shooters, how do you feel about cheap holsters vs pricey ones? Do you think it parallels guns in that a taurus is always a worse choice than a S&W or a RIA is always worse than a Colt/Sig/Semi-Custom production 1911? I've always operated on the idea that the holster is as important as the gun and blowing $80-150 on the holster is just the way of things. Is there something to the cheapy holster I don't know about? I've always considered buying a cheapy to be foolish but I've never actually tried one. Obviously IWB is it's own beast since extra cost translates to comfort, but what about OWB? Say something like a Blade-tech vs a Stealthgear OWB Flex?

2 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Seems like trying to mix tech with shooting never works quite right. My buddy who runs a shop got one of those multi-thousand dollar sims installed and while it's fun, I'll take training in a red card range all day over that thing. It's cool that the MantisX can run during live fire, but if it folds under fire(hur hur) than it's probably just reinforcing bad behavior.

What it's supposed to do, is track the gun movements when firing and then tell you if you're pushing down, pulling up, gripping to hard, etc.  The issue wasn't that it was giving me faulty data (which would serve to reinforce bad behavior, as you said), it was just not providing me with any data.

Kind of like asking a buddy to critique you at the range, who afterwards goes "Oh, I forgot to watch you shooting".

Took my new 1911 and Hi-Point Carbine out today.  They both shoot well, though the compact 1911 hurts some.  I knew it would kick more cause of the shorter barrel, but it’s the grip safety.  It digs into my hand when I fire the gun, no matter how I fire it.

Hi Point did well, no issues with it.

My AR-15 I also took out, I had to mortar it a couple times, and now there’s a round stuck in the chamber, bolt is working fine.  I don’t know if the round is live or not but I can’t grt it out.

6 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

My AR-15 I also took out, I had to mortar it a couple times, and now there’s a round stuck in the chamber, bolt is working fine.  I don’t know if the round is live or not but I can’t grt it out.

Can you pull the bolt back? 

Try lightly tapping a wooden dowel rod down the bore if you can get the bolt back, if not, you can't use this method. 

What ammo was it? Steel cased? 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

27 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Took my new 1911 and Hi-Point Carbine out today.  They both shoot well, though the compact 1911 hurts some.  I knew it would kick more cause of the shorter barrel, but it’s the grip safety.  It digs into my hand when I fire the gun, no matter how I fire it.

Hi Point did well, no issues with it.

break the rifle down, remove the upper from the lower, and remove the bolt carrier. Use a steel cleaning rod (without a cleaning tip installed) to push the round out of the chamber from the muzzle. Use light tapping force on the rod.

Inspect the ammunition before attempting to chamber a live round. if there are rifling marks on the bullet's ogive, the ammo is loaded too long.

If the live ammo is wider or longer than SAMMI specification (use a case gauge https://lewilson.com/case-gage/) discontinue using that ammunition. if it is within specification (meaning it drops freely and is flush with a case gauge), use go/nogo gauges on the chamber to determine if the chamber was short-cut. If the manufacturer wont accept RMA, you can use a finish reamer to hand cut the chamber the rest of the way going a little bit at a time. It may only take a few thousandths of an inch to get correct. If you go too far, the barrel extension needs to be removed, and the shoulder of the barrel must be trimmed back on a lathe and the process repeats until you have it correct or run out of chamberable material. At this point though, it's easier to just replace the barrel.

System specs:

39 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Can you pull the bolt back? 

Try lightly tapping a wooden dowel rod down the bore if you can get the bolt back, if not, you can't use this method. 

What ammo was it? Steel cased? 

Yeah, I could pull the bolt back.

27 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

break the rifle down, remove the upper from the lower, and remove the bolt carrier. Use a steel cleaning rod (without a cleaning tip installed) to push the round out of the chamber from the muzzle. Use light tapping force on the rod.

Inspect the ammunition before attempting to chamber a live round. if there are rifling marks on the bullet's ogive, the ammo is loaded too long.

If the live ammo is wider or longer than SAMMI specification (use a case gauge https://lewilson.com/case-gage/) discontinue using that ammunition. if it is within specification (meaning it drops freely and is flush with a case gauge), use go/nogo gauges on the chamber to determine if the chamber was short-cut. If the manufacturer wont accept RMA, you can use a finish reamer to hand cut the chamber the rest of the way going a little bit at a time. It may only take a few thousandths of an inch to get correct. If you go too far, the barrel extension needs to be removed, and the shoulder of the barrel must be trimmed back on a lathe and the process repeats until you have it correct or run out of chamberable material. At this point though, it's easier to just replace the barrel.

I’m taking it to the local gun store, see if everything looks good to them

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Yeah, I could pull the bolt back.

Did you manage to get the round out?

What ammo was it?

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Did you manage to get the round out?

What ammo was it?

It’s regular old .223, and shell is still in there 

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

It’s regular old .223, and shell is still in there 

just the case, or can you tell if the primer has been struck?

just get a cleaning rod and tap it out already...!

if you can work the bolt carrier back and forth, chances are that the rim of the case has stripped away and there's nothing for the extractor to grab onto.

System specs:

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

if you can work the bolt carrier back and forth, chances are that the rim of the case has stripped away and there's nothing for the extractor to grab onto.

Or possibly a worn/broken extractor spring. 

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Primer has been struck, and I’m at work, I can’t tap it out atm.

31 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Primer has been struck, and I’m at work, I can’t tap it out atm.

Well whenever you get a chance then. i'm betting the headspace is wrong.

System specs:

Anyone here shoot trap or skeet? 

My first time I hit the first 5 & scores 15 in trap. 

I use a mossberg 500 12 gauge with whatever birdshot is the cheapest at the store. 

58 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Or possibly a worn/broken extractor spring. 

Sure. Unlikely on a new rifle, but totally possible.

System specs:

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Anyone here shoot trap or skeet? 

My first time I hit the first 5 & scores 15 in trap. 

I use a mossberg 500 12 gauge with whatever birdshot is the cheapest at the store. 

I used to shoot league sporting clays. Usually did pretty well, but i haven't done that in years. 

System specs: