Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

I'm just glad that my pistols are all still in the clear. For a while I was thinking I should go buy an AR during this big dust up while I still have the chance, but then I realized I can't even buy one without having to neuter it anyways. NY is a tough place to be a gun enthusiast haha.

57 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

was going to lobby for my our her rights to be taken away. 

fixed for accuracy.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

was going to lobby for my our her rights to be taken away. 

96f.jpg

Today is day 332 of my latest stamp wait, making it the longest wait I've had. 

Grinds my gears.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Stamp for what?

A YHM Turbo. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

A YHM Turbo. 

That....didn't clear anything up. :P I had to search DDG to discover it was a suppressor.

I've never really looked into them personally, because I can't see any instance where I'd bother to use it.  Carrying with that on would be unfeasible, and using it in the home is kind of pointless (unless you want to eliminate an intruder, and clean it up without involving the police...:ph34r:).

:D

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

That....didn't clear anything up. :P I had to search DDG to discover it was a suppressor.

I've never really looked into them personally, because I can't see any instance where I'd bother to use it.  Carrying with that on would be unfeasible, and using it in the home is kind of pointless (unless you want to eliminate an intruder, and clean it up without involving the police...:ph34r:).

Haha yes, it's a can.

But its a rifle can, so carrying with it is pretty much a non issue. If you shoot 5.56 SBRs much, you'll understand why I want to put a can on it haha. 

Plus suppressors are just plain cool! 

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I've never really looked into them personally, because I can't see any instance where I'd bother to use it.

Suppressed .22, either pistol or rifle, is an absolute blast and you can shoot it without earpro

26 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

A good one eliminates the need for hearing protection.

That's noice for those of us that get to go to the range often.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

image.jpg

So I've had the red dot sight for years.  I decided I want it on the Hi-Point, since I have scopes for my AR-15 and 10/22.  My stepdad basically taught me about firearms, and he ingrained it into me to always have iron sights along with whatever optics I decided to choose.  The factory iron sights wouldn't work, so I ordered some flip-up canted iron sights from Amazon.  They work, so yeah, my Hi-Point Carbine is set up how I wanted it now.  Last thing I'd probably get for it is the same thing I want to get for my AR, a flashlight.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 minute ago, Cole5 said:

Just sold a rifle worth 300 brand new for 500 bucks, Am i a bad person?

Yes. Worse than crypto miners.

Kappa

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

So I've had the red dot sight for years.  I decided I want it on the high point, since I have scopes for my AR-15 and 10/22.  My stepdad basically taught me about firearms, and he ingrained it into me to always have iron sights along with whatever optics I decided to choose.  The factory iron sights wouldn't work, so I ordered some flip-up canted iron sights from Amazon.  They work, so yeah, my Hi-Point Carbine is set up how I wanted it now.

That front vert grip looks a little derpy and it's making me laugh inside. I like it.

Also, what irons? I'm thinkin on setting up a pair of canted and running them like a Bren.

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Last thing I'd probably get for it is the same thing I want to get for my AR, a fleshlight

Kinky?

hehehehe

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That front vert grip looks a little derpy and it's making me laugh inside. I like it.

Also, what irons? I'm thinkin on setting up a pair of canted and running them like a Bren.

Kinky?

hehehehe

https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Armament-Degree-Offset-Backup/dp/B071ZF1DS2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522368920&sr=8-2&keywords=canted+iron+sights

I like em, they're a little bigger than the canted irons on my AR, but they work.  I like the little shield logo on em.

As for the foregrip, it's actually the one that came with the gun, this is what Hi-Point provided with it, it folds down, so that's nice too.  Makes it easier for storage.

Also, dirty~ lol

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Also, dirty~ lol

I was so hoping that no one would notice that fast.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

I like em, they're a little bigger than the canted irons on my AR, but they work.  I like the little shield logo on em.

Let me know how they hold up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I was so hoping that no one would notice that fast.

Let me know how they hold up.

Will do, it's my first product from Ozark Armament.  All their products have high reviews on Amazon though, so I'm confident they should hold up.

I haven't even gotten to shoot my Grendel build yet and I'm already starting to finalize plans on the next AR 15.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

So here's something I could use some outside advice on, I'm thinking of picking up USPSA event shooting at my local gun club, but I'm not sure what gun to use. It's basically down to the two Sigs I posted pictures of yesterday.

The 1911 is better setup for competition shooting, and I can shoot in an easier scoring bracket, but buying enough mags will kill my wallet, finding a good comp holster for a Sig profile slide is a pain, and I don't want to wreck the finish on such a pretty gun.

The M11-A1 has cheap mags, a bunch of holster options, and I already consider it a work gun so not worried about mussing it up, but it's a compact with a DA/SA trigger, not exactly designed for comp shooting, and a lot of it's features would just be wasted or go against the use case.

Admittedly I do shoot the M11-A1 better than the 1911...

10 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

So here's something I could use some outside advice on, I'm thinking of picking up USPSA event shooting at my local gun club, but I'm not sure what gun to use. It's basically down to the two Sigs I posted pictures of yesterday.

The 1911 is better setup for competition shooting, and I can shoot in an easier scoring bracket, but buying enough mags will kill my wallet, finding a good comp holster for a Sig profile slide is a pain, and I don't want to wreck the finish on such a pretty gun.

The M11-A1 has cheap mags, a bunch of holster options, and I already consider it a work gun so not worried about mussing it up, but it's a compact with a DA/SA trigger, not exactly designed for comp shooting, and a lot of it's features would just be wasted or go against the use case.

While I don't have any experience with competition shooting, I'd say go with the M11-A1 if you shoot it better.

Also, there's plenty of options for the 1911, and you can get mags cheap for it.  I just bought a couple $10 mags for my 1911s this past weekend.

11 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

DO IT!! I've shot USPSA for the last 3-4 years, started in production and now shoot Carry Optics.

If it was me, I'd do the 1911 for Single Stack division. 

The M11-A1 will put you in Production against striker fired guns, so you'll learn real quick how to deal with that DA/SA transition. That said there are a couple of CZ guys who shoot DA/SA Limited in my club and they do just fine. 

I wouldn't worry about Minor vs Major if you're just starting out. Shoot what you're most comfortable with and learn. There's a fairly steep learning curve, but the people are always happy to help and give tips. I havent met a single jackass in USPSA in my time. 

Be prepared to spend money. Lots of it. Seriously. It's incredibly addictive.

Well guys, I just ordered a 1892 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin IG89 made by W+F Bern. Cant wait to get it soon since it looks really nice from the pictures (hopefully looks as good in person).
Here is a picture of it. 

4uS14R1.jpg

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

37 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Also, there's plenty of options for the 1911, and you can get mags cheap for it.  I just bought a couple $10 mags for my 1911s this past weekend.

Haha the Sig is a little too picky for cheap mags unfortunately, so far it seems to only like the mags it came with and Wilson Combats

29 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

DO IT!! I've shot USPSA for the last 3-4 years, started in production and now shoot Carry Optics.

If it was me, I'd do the 1911 for Single Stack division. 

The M11-A1 will put you in Production against striker fired guns, so you'll learn real quick how to deal with that DA/SA transition. That said there are a couple of CZ guys who shoot DA/SA Limited in my club and they do just fine. 

I wouldn't worry about Minor vs Major if you're just starting out. Shoot what you're most comfortable with and learn. There's a fairly steep learning curve, but the people are always happy to help and give tips. I havent met a single jackass in USPSA in my time. 

Be prepared to spend money. Lots of it. Seriously. It's incredibly addictive.

Hmmmm, good stuff to know! My club does casual events on Wednesdays and more serious stuff on weekends so maybe I'll start with Wednesdays with the M11-A1 and work up to the 1911, see what feels right.

16 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Hmmmm, good stuff to know! My club does casual events on Wednesdays and more serious stuff on weekends so maybe I'll start with Wednesdays with the M11-A1 and work up to the 1911, see what feels right.

That's a good plan. Usually there's a "Practice" event during the week where the rules are a little more relaxed, and people are going to be more willing to talk you through things. Nothing is very complicated but there's just a few things to know. Attend these practice days and ask questions, people will be more than happy to help you out. 

you'll need at least 5 mags for whichever gun you choose, a decent holster, belt and mag carriers. You don't need to get fancy race stuff for now. If you get really serious you can go hog wild in the future. In my club it's really only the Open division guy's that run a real race setup, everyone else has more duty oriented equipment that does the job. 

Dont try to be fast on your first day, that's the biggest mistake I see people make. No one is impressed with how fast you get through a stage. No one. Take all the time you need to make good hits. For the first couple of months I didnt care at all about the timer, just concentrated on getting alpha hits, and the time at the end was just the time. After a while you'll naturally speed up and now I'm pretty well in the mix. 

It's a ton of fun. The problem is that it sucks a lot of the fun out of flat range shooting haha. 

1 hour ago, Poohy14 said:

Well guys, I just ordered a 1892 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin IG89 made by W+F Bern. Cant wait to get it soon since it looks really nice from the pictures (hopefully looks as good in person).
Here is a picture of it. 

4uS14R1.jpg

Gun store in Boise had two of these, really nice condition. How much did yours run you?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.