Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
Just now, Drak3 said:

Yes.

Just, avoid aluminum blocks, they don't handle the heat.

Of course. I can't stand aluminum for most things anyways. Pain in the ass to work with compared to steel.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i would be surprised if someone actually marketed an aluminium gas block.

Alignment of the gas tube to the gas key in the bolt carrier is important. you want the hole in the barrel to be centered on the gas block hole, otherwise you'll get what's called gas  cutting, which is really, really bad.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

i would be surprised if someone actually marketed an aluminium gas block

Watched a youtube video on common or bad mistakes, and the aluminum block was like the second. The story was that the block blew out a wall and the was great balls of fire.

Also, @Trik'Stari Brownells actually makes gas port alignment tools for AR15 and AR10 rifles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Watched a youtube video on common or bad mistakes, and the aluminum block was like the second. The story was that the block blew out a wall and the was great balls of fire.

Also, @Trik'Stari Brownells actually makes gas port alignment tools for AR15 and AR10 rifles.

you don't need it though. just mark the center line with a pencil. most gas block ports are way over-sized. best to slide the tub into the block FIRST and get that aligned and pinned, cuz if you don't you're taking back off again. guaranteed.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

you don't need it though. just mark the center line with a pencil. most gas block ports are way over-sized. best to slide the tub into the block FIRST and get that aligned and pinned, cuz if you don't you're taking back off again. guaranteed.

Yeah, but they're like $5 for a pack of 6.

However I just use set screw blocks and align it to the dimple on the barrel.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah, but they're like $5 for a pack of 6.

However I just use set screw blocks and align it to the dimple on the barrel.

Sure, if you get them. Both my Kreiger barrel on the DMR and the Aero Precision barrel on the SBR are featureless. There's no flats, no dimpling, just smoooooth barrel. and that's fine with me because i prefer clamp-ons.

System specs:

Now that suppressors are legal in iowa, Anyone know a good 22 caliber for a pistol. and a rifle, I want a whisper quiet gun to not scare the chickens when i shoot possums  

depends on the rifle chamber. if it's a magnum 22 like 223 rem or 22-250, you're not going to want to shoot it on the 22LR pistol because the good ones (like thunderbeast) dont come apart for cleaning... which is needed on .22LR. Eventually you'll want to remove the vaporized lead deposits! the rifle cans that DO come apart and can take magnum pressure at the muzzle are GARBAGE! I own one (HTA Kestrel 556 show above) and it is my beater can. couldn't care less if i sent it flying down range one day in 1000 pieces. i cant even open it anymore, and i dont even shoot .22LR through it...

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

depends on the rifle chamber. if it's a magnum 22 like 223 rem or 22-250, you're not going to want to shoot it on the 22LR pistol because the good ones (like thunderbeast) dont come apart for cleaning... which is needed on .22LR. Eventually you'll want to remove the vaporized lead deposits! the rifle cans that DO come apart and can take magnum pressure at the muzzle are GARBAGE! I own one (HTA Kestrel 556 show above) and it is my beater can. couldn't care less if i sent it flying down range one day in 1000 pieces. i cant even open it anymore, and i dont even shoot .22LR through it...

I have a threaded 10/22 and a Ruger mk3, both 22lr 

If you can find an Outback IID or something similarly designed, i'd buy it.

System specs:

On 3/12/2018 at 12:10 AM, Cole5 said:

Now that suppressors are legal in iowa, Anyone know a good 22 caliber for a pistol. and a rifle, I want a whisper quiet gun to not scare the chickens when i shoot possums  

Avoid the Walther P22, they've had quality control issues recently.

Their slides are apparently made from pot metal and will crack or break during use.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Their slides are apparently made from pot metal and will crack or break during use.

The last Walther i shot it ate my webbing on my thumb, so no worries

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

he's asking for suppressor suggestions. There are a LOT of good ones now a days. Ruger Silent-SR is decent, DeadAir makes a great one, called the Mask. I mentioned the Outback IID from Gemtech, i think Thunderbeast makes a takeapart now. Lots of choices. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on one though.

System specs:

3 minutes ago, Kvan said:

My favourite gun would have to be the Ruger Precision Rifle, but the Bushmaster ACR or FN SCAR comes really close

Although I've never shot one, I am a big fan of the ACR on paper. 

If you asked me to design a new combat rifle in 5.56x45mm, it would be pretty similar to the ACR.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@Drak3

What's wrong with the Five-Seven? That round is hauling quite a lot of ass. Has good capacity and penetration capabilities compared to .45 or 9mm.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

@Drak3

What's wrong with the Five-Seven? That round is hauling quite a lot of ass.

Thank god you mentioned me, I would have been looking for a solid 15 minutes.

Anyways, the 5.7x28 round is not a round designed for stopping power. It's design follows in the footsteps of the 5.56 NATO round, its designed penetration against soft body armors that were in use by various potential foes during its development.

If stopping power is what you're after, .45ACP and 9x19 Luger are still the better options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Thank god you mentioned me, I would have been looking for a solid 15 minutes.

Anyways, the 5.7x28 round is not a round designed for stopping power. It's design follows in the footsteps of the 5.56 NATO round, its designed penetration against soft body armors that were in use by various potential foes during its development.

If stopping power is what you're after, .45ACP and 9x19 Luger are still the better options.

In my opinion, penetration is stopping power. If you can't penetrate to a vital organ then you're kind of wasting time.

Not that I am suggesting the Five-Seven is a good carry weapon or SHTF weapon. Just that if you want something capable of extreme lethality, it's hard to beat.

Personally I prefer 9x19 Luger because ammo capacity and controlability. While .45 is fun it just isn't worth the drawbacks.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

In my opinion, penetration is stopping power. If you can't penetrate to a vital organ then you're kind of wasting time.

A .22LR can penetrate an organ, but you're not going down all that soon from it. A .45ACP, on the other hand, will not only put a bigger hole in that same organ, the energy will cause more damage, and you're probably going to stumble over from the impact.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

While .45 is fun it just isn't worth the drawbacks.

A simple muzzle brake makes a standardized M1911 more controllable than any 9mm I've shot.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5.7x28 fragments quickly upon tumble. it's not very heavy so recoil is light, and you can carry a metric crap load. the PROBLEM is feeding can be problematic. doubly, it's expensive as hell and requires quite a bit more processing to reload.

while not as capable against body armor, the 9mm can do the same lethal job. where it lacks, the 7.62x25 can make up for (at the cost of capacity and availability). Push comes to shove, i'm taking 9mm for the easy to find defensive loads found just about anywhere.

System specs:

I got a couple new things this weekend.

Got a compact 1911.  (Well, M1991A1), and a Hi-Point Carbine, chambered in 9mm.  Yes, I know the reputation that Hi-Point has, but I have a bunch of experience with their firearms. While ugly and cheap, they're solid, reliable, durable firearms.  Also, I figured it'd be really fun to take a pistol-caliber carbine to the range, I'd been wanting one and it was, again, cheap.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:31 PM, Trik'Stari said:

While .45 is fun it just isn't worth the drawbacks.

On 3/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, Drak3 said:

A .22LR can penetrate an organ, but you're not going down all that soon from it. A .45ACP, on the other hand, will not only put a bigger hole in that same organ, the energy will cause more damage, and you're probably going to stumble over from the impact.

A simple muzzle brake makes a standardized M1911 more controllable than any 9mm I've shot.

I've had zero issues with my 1911.  I'm accurate even one-handed.  I'd trust that pistol over any .22 or 9mm any day.

11 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I've had zero issues with my 1911.  I'm accurate even one-handed.  I'd trust that pistol over any .22 or 9mm any day.

The only issues i've come across with the various .45 ACP pistols i've owned was with Semi-Wad Cutters. They do not like to feed in an XD45 of any variant. feed just fine through my el-cheapo 1911 though, so i'm sure it's ramp design. otherwise anything with a round nose ogive profile feeds great in everything i own.

System specs:

11 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I had some failures to go into battery a few times when I first got my Ruger SR1911. Since then it's smoothed out very nicely and has been very reliable for the last year or so. 

It sits above my P22 and below my Glock 19 and XDm in terms of reliability. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I had some failures to go into battery a few times when I first got my Ruger SR1911. Since then it's smoothed out very nicely and has been very reliable for the last year or so. 

It sits above my P22 and below my Glock 19 and XDm in terms of reliability. 

I haven't had any issues with either of my Colt 1911s

So, someone linked me to a site where several YT gun channels are moving all of their videos.

https://www.full30.com

*EDIT*

Hang on, scratch that.  I may have been misled.  I checked the comments below, and it looks like some of them are from months ago, or even longer.  I don't know how active those channels are on that site.