Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
46 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I like flashlights, and maybe get too excited over them :) 

All I can think is “how much are batteries costing to run these things?” 

Do the batteries last long? How much of your soul do the batteries cost? 

AA are expensive, and those are actually mainstream. 

Just now, fpo said:

Considering these are LED lights, they wouldn't require much power to run.  We sold some of these at my work for a while (still have a few left, in fact), and they are blindingly bright with just AAA batteries in them.

7 minutes ago, fpo said:

I just bought a 12 pack of CR123As last week for $24ish on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Pack-123A-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0035HB694/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1510673761&sr=8-11&keywords=cr123A&th=1&psc=1

18650 cells are more expensive, but rechargable so its usually a better option. 18650s go for ~$15each or so.

How long they last really depends on the light. A really high output light like these, you will get between 1 and 2 hours of performance on high. Unfortunately, high performance lights like these take some juice to run. 

The advantage of CR123s over AAs or AAAs is that they're 3V instead of 1.5V. 18650s are 6V.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Considering these are LED lights, they wouldn't require much power to run.  We sold some of these at my work for a while (still have a few left, in fact), and they are blindingly bright with just AAA batteries in them.

That’s pretty good that they’re LED. 

15 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I just bought a 12 pack of CR123As last week for $24ish on amazon. 

Eek

https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Pack-123A-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0035HB694/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1510673761&sr=8-11&keywords=cr123A&th=1&psc=1

18650 cells are more expensive, but rechargable so its usually a better option. 18650s go for ~$15each or so.

That’s better. Throwing batteries out after ONE hour would give me a heart attack. 

How long they last really depends on the light. A really high output light like these, you will get between 1 and 2 hours of performance on high. Unfortunately, high performance lights like these take some juice to run. 

The advantage of CR123s over AAs or AAAs is that they're 3V instead of 1.5V. 18650s are 6V.

Hmm. What do they recommend on the box? Upping voltage could make them brighter, but idk that they’d last longer. 

39 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Just realized that I forgot to clarify, I meant we sold some *like* these (not gun mounted, just LED flashlights).

16 minutes ago, fpo said:

That’s pretty good that they’re LED. 

Eek

That’s better. Throwing batteries out after ONE hour would give me a heart attack. 

Hmm. What do they recommend on the box? Upping voltage could make them brighter, but idk that they’d last longer. 

You cant use a CR123A in place of a AA, or AAA. They're shorter and fatter. 18650s are slightly fatter and the same length as two CR123As. Some lights that work with 2x CR123As will also accept 18650s but not necessarily all of them since they are 2mm wider. 

The higher voltage is a big part of why you dont see 1000+ lumen AA or AAA lights, but do see 1000+ lumen CR123A and 18650 lights. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

13 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Just realized that I forgot to clarify, I meant we sold some *like* these (not gun mounted, just LED flashlights).

Yeah, I think I saw that part. 

13 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

You cant use a CR123A in place of a AA, or AAA. They're shorter and fatter. 18650s are slightly fatter and the same length as two CR123As. Some lights that work with 2x CR123As will also accept 18650s but not necessarily all of them since they are 2mm wider. 

The higher voltage is a big part of why you dont see 1000+ lumen AA or AAA lights, but do see 1000+ lumen CR123A and 18650 lights. 

Yeah, I just forgot why you mentioned the 1.5 & 3V batteries. It slipped my mind that I brought up AA batteries. 

Does airsoft count?

Living in Belgium, it's the closest to a gun I can get without jumping through like an insane amounts of legal hoops...

9q9bOo3.jpg

As far as favorite gun... After so many hours of CSGO, I'll go with the AWP. Never fired one irl, so my only basis is video games :P

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 hours ago, Urishima said:

Found my next carry gun:

First gun I plan on getting?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

• 2 months later...

Got myself a new gun last week.  An H&K P2000.  It fires beautifully - I've shot around 200 rounds through it so far - but I need to get the trigger draw reduced.  Even with the hammer fully cocked, it has about an inch of play before it fires.  Apart from that, I'm very pleased with it.  It was listed as used, but is in very good condition.  Had both original 13-round magazines, the original hard case (serial number matches the gun) and even had the unopened shell casing from the factory showing it had been test fired.  I opened it before I realized what it was, though.  The only signs it had been used was a slight scuff on the left side of the trigger guard.

Spoiler

20180127_165438.jpg

I'm really curious about a small symbol I found engraved on the left side of the gun, and hoping someone can help me figure it out.  I can't quite make out what it is (I have an idea, but I'd rather wait to see what others think it is first).  I'm not sure if it was done by the factory or the previous owner.  These are the best pictures I could get of it.  In case you're wondering, it's located just in front of the slide lock, inside that small, rectangular box.  The same box is on the opposite side, but it's completely blank.

Spoiler

20180206_201755.jpg

20180206_201957.jpg

On 9/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, fpo said:

My guess would be carrying. If the hammer isn't cocked, you don't have to worry about shooting your di-... shooting yourself in the foot.

Yeah, let's go with that. 

Yes, you do. Between a WWII M1911 replica, a convertible .44 revolver, Baretta .25 Auto, hitting a decocked hammer will fire the gun. It becomes something to really worry about if any safeties are either worn or made to poor tolerances.

Mom's boyfriend owns that .44 revolver, fired it from a decocked hammer to see if it was something to worry about. He keeps it on an empty chamber.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:53 PM, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I doubt any one firearm is particularly safer than another.

Due to grip safeties, the M1911 and the earlier models of what would eventually become the Luger P08 are safer as carry pistols than Glocks, S&W M&P series, etc.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:51 PM, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Ban high-capacity assault sniper bayonets!

Just leave the sporting machine gun bayonets alone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Awesome. I love guns. We gun owners can like totally band together, march towards our town halls and overthrow all of our crooked elected officials at the end of a gun barrel. You know what I’m saying?

This is a joke, please don’t call the FBI on me.

Edited by wasab
Don’t call the feds please

Sudo make me a sandwich 

28 minutes ago, wasab said:

Awesome. I love guns. We gun owners can like totally band together, march towards our town halls and overthrow all of our crooked elected officials at the end of a gun barrel. You know what I’m saying?

That’s the point of America’s gun laws in the constitution. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

That’s the point of America’s gun laws in the constitution. 

Nope, American constitution doesn’t give anyone the right to overthrow the US government. Coup d tat and political power seizures outside the constitutional framework are all illegal. 

That admenement was there mostly because the states want to have their own militia army just in case they ever need to rebel against the federal government. E.g like to protect slavery during the civil war.

But again... if you succeeded and no one else have issue about you taking over, who cares about the legality of it? Legitimacy of a government comes from those being governed after all. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I'm really curious about a small symbol I found engraved on the left side of the gun, and hoping someone can help me figure it out.  I can't quite make out what it is (I have an idea, but I'd rather wait to see what others think it is first).  I'm not sure if it was done by the factory or the previous owner.  These are the best pictures I could get of it.  In case you're wondering, it's located just in front of the slide lock, inside that small, rectangular box.  The same box is on the opposite side, but it's completely blank.

I believe that is the proof mark for HK's shop in Ulm, Germany.  It differs based upon where the gun was manufactured and in what facility it was proofed.

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Yes, FBI?

working-woman-on-telephone.jpg

1 hour ago, wasab said:

American constitution doesn’t give anyone the right to overthrow the US government. Coup d tat and political power seizures outside the constitutional framework are all illegal. 

Should the US Government become tyrranical, then it is the roght and the duty of the people to overthrow and replace said government.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Should the US Government become tyrranical, then it is the roght and the duty of the people to overthrow and replace said government.

It is a justification in the Declaration of Independence. 

The constitution doesn’t actually say that though. I highly doubt any there exists a constitution with a  clause that says if the government is tyrannical, you are legally allow to overthrow it. Just imagine the chaos. Any one can easily rebel against a law or authority and then get away with it by saying in court “but the constitution gave me the legal right to rebel, shoot, and despose of you because in my eyes, you are tyrannical”

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Any of you got any experience with AR15s chambered in 6.5 Grendel?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Any of you got any experience with AR15s chambered in 6.5 Grendel?

Sorry, no experience with AR-15's at all.  Apart from one shotgun I fired years ago, I've only ever shot pistols.  Though I would like to get a nice pump action shotty for around home.  For home defense, nothing beats the sound of the pump action.

RaggedCapitalKoalabear-max-1mb.gif

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Sorry, no experience with AR-15's at all.

I feel bad for you son.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

36 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

For home defense, nothing beats the sound of the pump action.

The sound of racking a shotgun isn't all that scary. Relying on the sound to be a deterent is actually pretty dumb, it just lets them know where you are and that you can only fire once. The KSG12's loud action is the biggest flaw that stands in its way of being a decent home defence shotgun.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Relying on the sound to be a deterent is actually pretty dumb,

Not relying on the sound per se, but it doesn't hurt.

it just lets them know where you are and that you can only fire once.

Not necessarily.  Besides, I live in a one bedroom apartment, there's not exactly many places to go.  A shotgun is best for such a situation, because any intruder would be forced to stay within a confined area.

The KSG12's loud action is the biggest flaw that stands in its way of being a decent home defence shotgun.

I never mentioned any specific gun, unless you were referring to the one in the GIF I posted.  In which case, you should know that I found that at random through a Google Image search.

In any event, this conversation is largely academic since it's doubtful I'd ever need it.  I just like the idea of it.  I'm not sure I'll ever actually get one.

I feel bad for you

There's not too many places one can go to shoot.  There's a couple of indoor ranges, but that gets old after a while.  Target practice is good for learning, but not much fun.  Fortunately, one of the local gun stores should be opening an outdoor range later this spring.  They recently moved a couple miles outside of town (outside of the city limits).

Edited by Jito463
Brain fart, meant academic

51 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Not relying on the sound per se, but it doesn't hurt.

it does.

51 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

never mentioned any specific gun, unless you were referring to the one in the GIF I posted.  In which case, you should know that I found that at random through a Google Image search.

In any event, this conversation is purely scholastic since it's doubtful I'd ever need it.  I just like the idea of it.  I'm not sure I'll ever actually get one.

I mention the KSG12 because it was built for the explicit purpose of home defense, and I happen to own one.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.