Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Welp just bought  the Vortex Venom for my S&W, time to see how much I will like it on my pistol. Kinda excited for it and it will be here Thursday.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

That's it, had my first malfunction with my S&W M&P 2.0, left a spent casing in the barrel, didn't extract it.

Time to throw it in the industrial shredder and get me a Hi-point!

In all seriousness I'm very pleased with it and with 600+ rounds through it I have no complaints.

BY6xQya.jpg

Yes, the optic itself costs more than the entire rifle. I put the BFS III into the rifle a few months ago and it makes a decent budget giggle switch :)

Yeeehaaaw!

I traded in my Ruger 10/22 and my Mossburg MVP 5.56 and picked up an Uberti Silverboy lever-action in .22lr.

Ever since I picked up my AR-15 I've had no desire to shoot the Mossburg and I just didn't like how picky the Ruger was with what ammo it would and would not run reliably.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go poke some cows, hide some tan and put circles on my wagon.

Silverboy.jpg

1 minute ago, Snadzies said:

Yeeehaaaw!

I traded in my Ruger 10/22 and my Mossburg MVP 5.56 and picked up an Uberti Silverboy lever-action in .22lr.

Ever since I picked up my AR-15 I've had no desire to shoot the Mossburg and I just didn't like how picky the Ruger was with what ammo it would and would not run reliably.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go poke some cows, hide some tan and put circles on my wagon.

Silverboy.jpg

Nice, that's a real beauty.  How many shots does it hold?

15 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Nice, that's a real beauty.  How many shots does it hold?

Seen a few reviews online that say 14+1 and a few that say 15+1.

The manual says 14 in the tube and I'm inclined to believe what the manual says.

If I had to guess I  bet the sites that say 15+1 prolly heard it can hold 15 (14+1) and figured they ment 15 in the tube plus one in the chamber.

Won't get to the range till this weekend and I don't feel like playing with live ammo in the house :)

53 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Won't get to the range till this weekend and I don't feel like playing with live ammo in the house :)

So you don't have any loaded guns in your home?  I keep my Ruger loaded - and even chambered - at all times (except when I'm cleaning it, of course).

On 7/16/2017 at 10:15 PM, Snadzies said:

That's it, had my first malfunction with my S&W M&P 2.0, left a spent casing in the barrel, didn't extract it.

Time to throw it in the industrial shredder and get me a Hi-point!

In all seriousness I'm very pleased with it and with 600+ rounds through it I have no complaints.

Have you cleaned it? lol

2 hours ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Yes, the optic itself costs more than the entire rifle. I put the BFS III into the rifle a few months ago and it makes a decent budget giggle switch :)

I've never understood spending that much money on an optic, I gotta ask though, is it worth it?

8 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So you don't have any loaded guns in your home?  I keep my Ruger loaded - and even chambered - at all times (except when I'm cleaning it, of course).

I have a loaded mag for each of my guns ready but I do not keep them inserted in the gun with a round chambered.

I don't want to play with ammo in the Silverboy as it is used and I don't want to find out there is some kind of mechanical fault with it while using live ammo in the house.

3 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

Have you cleaned it? lol

Yep, after every trip to the range.

Figure it was just a fluke as it happened halfway through my session at the range and ran perfectly for the rest of the time there.

5 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

I don't want to play with ammo in the Silverboy as it is used and I don't want to find out there is some kind of mechanical fault with it while using live ammo in the house.

Fair enough.  Don't want to find out the hard way that there's something wrong with the firing mechanism.

On 9/13/2015 at 9:21 PM, ThatOneRussian said:

aka the worst gun ever

Funny, but i love the desert eagle. I own the orginal IMI .44 mag model. I love it. Run out of ammo? Use it as melee weapon. Not possible to supress unless you modify long barreles version to have threads. 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

9 hours ago, EricTrujillo said:

Have you cleaned it? lol

I've never understood spending that much money on an optic, I gotta ask though, is it worth it?

I think it is. The warranty lasts 14 years for my model and they'll fix or replace your unit no questions asked. There's a video of sootch001 on YT going through the Trijicon warranty process. His model had a warranty for 10 years and it expired so he just paid 200 or 300 to renew it and get the Tritium replaced. Turns out they replaced all the internals with new parts so I think it's definitely worth it if you plan on sticking to one optic that won't fail.

That said, the glass clarity smashes any sub-1000 dollar optic, the dual illumination is awesome and I don't ever need to worry about batteries, and the field of view is something like 33 feet at 100 yards. The only downside is the eye relief of 1.5" or so.

6 hours ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

I think it is. The warranty lasts 14 years for my model and they'll fix or replace your unit no questions asked. There's a video of sootch001 on YT going through the Trijicon warranty process. His model had a warranty for 10 years and it expired so he just paid 200 or 300 to renew it and get the Tritium replaced. Turns out they replaced all the internals with new parts so I think it's definitely worth it if you plan on sticking to one optic that won't fail.

That said, the glass clarity smashes any sub-1000 dollar optic, the dual illumination is awesome and I don't ever need to worry about batteries, and the field of view is something like 33 feet at 100 yards. The only downside is the eye relief of 1.5" or so.

Trijicon stands behind their products. 

I had my Trijicon RMR go down about six months ago and they replaced all the electronics in it without a second thought. 

Shit, I know a guy who bought another RMR (RM06 3.25MOA) from Cabelas for $325, now wants to flip it for $350. I'm thinking about buying it just cuz haha.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Trijicon stands behind their products. 

I had my Trijicon RMR go down about six months ago and they replaced all the electronics in it without a second thought. 

Shit, I know a guy who bought another RMR (RM06 3.25MOA) from Cabelas for $325, now wants to flip it for $350. I'm thinking about buying it just cuz haha.

Aren't RMRs 600 brand new? 350 sounds cheap... *Staring at the area where an RMR would mount on the ACOG*

1 minute ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

Aren't RMRs 600 brand new? 350 sounds cheap... *Staring at the area where an RMR would mount on the ACOG*

Trijicon just released a new version of the RMR (Type 2) so a lot of retailers were clearing out the old stock. I should have bought another one.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, ArtoriaPendragon said:

That's cheap considering the 6.00 MOA model is going for 349.00 at Cabela's right now. What do we think about budget optics like Vortex red dots and all of that?

Just now, EricTrujillo said:

That's cheap considering the 6.00 MOA model is going for 349.00 at Cabela's right now. What do we think about budget optics like Vortex red dots and all of that?

Vortex has pretty good glass. I have a Crossfire II from them on my Rem 700

Took the Uberti Silverboy to the range today and was very pleased with it.

Used some Winchester white box 36gr hp and it ran without any issues.

Lever was nice and smooth, it fed and ejected no problem and the irons seemed right on.

Had a screw come loose and was halfway out (same screw was loose when I first bought it as well) so I put some blue Loctite on it and snugged it down when i came home, figure that should keep it in place.

5 hours ago, Snadzies said:

Took the Uberti Silverboy to the range today and was very pleased with it.

Used some Winchester white box 36gr hp and it ran without any issues.

Lever was nice and smooth, it fed and ejected no problem and the irons seemed right on.

Had a screw come loose and was halfway out (same screw was loose when I first bought it as well) so I put some blue Loctite on it and snugged it down when i came home, figure that should keep it in place.

Which screw was it? Might want to give them a call about it.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:30 PM, EricTrujillo said:

Trijicon is just launching an updated version of the RMR, the Type 2, so the retailers are clearing our the old ones. I paid about $600 for my RMR, now I'm considering picking another up just cuz they can be had cheap.

What types of dots are you talking about? The RMR type Micro dots or regular rifle red dots?

Micro Dots: You can do whatever you want on a range gun or plinker but the only ones that I would currently trust as a "duty" type optic are the RMR and MAYBE the Leupold Delta Point Pro. Maybe. I know a few competitors who use the Vortex dots because they're cheaper and Vortex does stand behind their stuff with a great warranty, but they have to have three of them. One on the gun, one in for repair, and one waiting to replace the one on the gun. Seriously. 

Rifle type dots: I love the Vortex rifle dots. I've had a Strikefire for a very long time and it's been fantastic. The SPARC and SPARC AR are also very good optics but those ones I don't personally own. 

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Trijicon is just launching an updated version of the RMR, the Type 2, so the retailers are clearing our the old ones. I paid about $600 for my RMR, now I'm considering picking another up just cuz they can be had cheap.

What types of dots are you talking about? The RMR type Micro dots or regular rifle red dots?

Micro Dots: You can do whatever you want on a range gun or plinker but the only ones that I would currently trust as a "duty" type optic are the RMR and MAYBE the Leupold Delta Point Pro. Maybe. I know a few competitors who use the Vortex dots because they're cheaper and Vortex does stand behind their stuff with a great warranty, but they have to have three of them. One on the gun, one in for repair, and one waiting to replace the one on the gun. Seriously. 

Rifle type dots: I love the Vortex rifle dots. I've had a Strikefire for a very long time and it's been fantastic. The SPARC and SPARC AR are also very good optics but those ones I don't personally own. 

Rifle dots, I'm looking for a good optic for my rifle but I don't want to spend more than what I spent on building the rifle itself. I would love an ACOG, but I'm not spending that kind of money that I only shoot 2-3 times a year.

1 hour ago, EricTrujillo said:

Rifle dots, I'm looking for a good optic for my rifle but I don't want to spend more than what I spent on building the rifle itself. I would love an ACOG, but I'm not spending that kind of money that I only shoot 2-3 times a year.

That's perfectly fine. 

If you're looking for budget the Bushnell TRS-25 can be found very easily for under $100. If you want to go up a step in quality the Primary Arms Advanced Mirco Dot is an excellent choice along with the Holosuns for ~$150.

Bushnell TRS-25

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

Holosun HS403A

Vortex Sparc AR

Kinda listed from lowest quality to highest. I'm 97% sure the holosun and the Primary arms are the same optic just branded different names. It all depends on how much you want to spend. :)

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That's perfectly fine. 

If you're looking for budget the Bushnell TRS-25 can be found very easily for under $100. If you want to go up a step in quality the Primary Arms Advanced Mirco Dot is an excellent choice along with the Holosuns for ~$150.

Bushnell TRS-25

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot

Holosun HS403A

Vortex Sparc AR

Kinda listed from lowest quality to highest. I'm 97% sure the holosun and the Primary arms are the same optic just branded different names. It all depends on how much you want to spend. :)

Those are excellent! Thank you! and yeah looking at the Primary Arms and the Holosun, they look very similar, just one has a higher mount than the other.

EDIT: speaking of Primary Arms, their uppers and barrels are actually really nice for the price of them, if anyone is building a mid-priced AR, I would look into those.