Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

BB guns, Airsoft guns, paintball markers, and potato guns are not firearms or weapons.

air riffles are. at least where I live.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

air riffles are. at least where I live.

The law might consider them as such, but in reality, they are not.

Even those air rifles that fire with a muzzle velocity of several thousand fps, are not really firearms. At least not in my mind. They might be great for hunting, but they're still different. They're more like bows and or crossbows.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

BB guns, Airsoft guns, paintball markers, and potato guns are not firearms or weapons.

(daisy 853c) I used to do shooting competitions :D

Daisy%20853C%20Update.jpg

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

The law might consider them as such, but in reality, they are not.

Even those air rifles that fire with a muzzle velocity of several thousand fps, are not really firearms.

no not firearms, but they sure are weapons

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

(daisy 853c) I used to do shooting competitions :D

-snip

What's the muzzle velocity on that?

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

no not firearms, but they sure are weapons

Not really? A weapon is something that is designed with the purpose of doing harm (at least that's the legal definition here). A boot dagger is a weapon, a kitchen knife is not, even though it can be misused as such.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

What's the muzzle velocity on that?

+- 500-550 depending on how you use it

Not really? A weapon is something that is designed with the purpose of doing harm (at least that's the legal definition here). A boot dagger is a weapon, a kitchen knife is not, even though it can be misused as such.

ok so a display katana isin't a weapon ?

5 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

+- 500-550 depending on how you use it

That's only a bit more powerful than my Autococker Trilogy paintball marker, which can hit 300fps.

I'm not saying it can't be misused, I'm just saying it's more designed for target shooting.

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

ok so a display katana isin't a weapon ?

Possibly. Display swords are usually of very crappy construction and break REALLY easily. The term "weapon" is usually a statement as to the intent behind the manufacturing of an item.

There isn't a single object in existence that cannot be used as a weapon, but that doesn't make everything in existence a weapon. In the USA the ATF classifies a weapon as "something manufactured with the intent to be used as a weapon". Although there are cases where things were considered weapons legally, during the commission of a crime.

2 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

I'm guess then, that you have seen his video on doing a trigger job for Mosins?

yeah I seen it but my mosin is fine for the trigger, very little wobble when you pull that trigger so it is not worth doing unless I but a Timney trigger or something but I don't want to do that.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Better idea: Put a bit of rubbing compound on either a 20 gauge bore brush, or one of those special chamber brushes for an AR-15, put it on the end of a drill, and give it a quick spin inside the chamber of your Mosin.

Most of the time, it's left-over cosmolin that's jamming your mosin up (you'd be surprised how much can be down in there). Don't start changing bolt surfaces unless you know what you are doing (no offense meant by that statement. You just don't want to get into a situation where you could hurt yourself or others)

Edit: I thought this was an unbolting issue. Nevermind. Sounds like the headspace is too tight if you have trouble closing it.

yeah it is super hard to close the bolt with a round it and really have to force it or beat it with a hammer almost so I will have to polish it up and hope that work and if not then I will have to do a little more work to get it to be smooth. I am in the process on learning how to become a gunsmith so I might mess up but its not that much for a mosin anyways if I do so I am not too worried. But I already cleaned out the cosmolin from it and it is spotless since I did a full tear down of it and cleaned every surface there was. I will take some pictures of it to show you so you have a better idea what I was talking about.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

17 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

yeah I seen it but my mosin is fine for the trigger, very little wobble when you pull that trigger so it is not worth doing unless I but a Timney trigger or something but I don't want to do that.

yeah it is super hard to close the bolt with a round it and really have to force it or beat it with a hammer almost so I will have to polish it up and hope that work and if not then I will have to do a little more work to get it to be smooth. I am in the process on learning how to become a gunsmith so I might mess up but its not that much for a mosin anyways if I do so I am not too worried. But I already cleaned out the cosmolin from it and it is spotless since I did a full tear down of it and cleaned every surface there was. I will take some pictures of it to show you so you have a better idea what I was talking about.

I'd love to see pictures.

And just because it looks shiny, doesn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be some cosmo hiding in there. I'd try the brush on drill bit trick still, before I messed with the bolt itself.

Just be careful man. Don't want to get hurt, and don't want to give the anti-gunners more ammunition than they already have. Too many people hurting themselves and others by being unsafe and all that. 

Again, I'm just overly cautious with firearms, particularly when it comes to actually doing something to the chamber. No real reason because I've never had an issue. I guess maybe it's my lack of experience with doing that kind of work that makes me hesitant.

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I know I did. xD

3CJsqeM.jpg

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

14 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'd love to see pictures.

And just because it looks shiny, doesn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be some cosmo hiding in there. I'd try the brush on drill bit trick still, before I messed with the bolt itself.

Just be careful man. Don't want to get hurt, and don't want to give the anti-gunners more ammunition than they already have. Too many people hurting themselves and others by being unsafe and all that. 

Again, I'm just overly cautious with firearms, particularly when it comes to actually doing something to the chamber. No real reason because I've never had an issue. I guess maybe it's my lack of experience with doing that kind of work that makes me hesitant.

Well I polished it up and it is a lot smoother but still doesn't work well with the rounds think the bolt isn't tight enough and will have to have a second person help me tighten it up since I think it is too long yet. Will have to wait till tomorrow to find out or just swap with another bolt I have laying around and see if there is any difference in length.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well I polished it up and it is a lot smoother but still doesn't work well with the rounds think the bolt isn't tight enough and will have to have a second person help me tighten it up since I think it is too long yet. Will have to wait till tomorrow to find out or just swap with another bolt I have laying around and see if there is any difference in length.

Sounds like headspacing to me. Never seen someone have this kind of problem with a mosin. Stupid question though:

Could it be that a shell got stuck in there, and the back half of it got torn off? Stupid question I know, but I've read about it happening.

14 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I know I did. xD

-snip

That's like, the entire worlds supply of cosmoline.

That one can.

49 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Sounds like headspacing to me. Never seen someone have this kind of problem with a mosin. Stupid question though:

Could it be that a shell got stuck in there, and the back half of it got torn off? Stupid question I know, but I've read about it happening.

No, no round got stuck in there as far as I know, It seems like the bolt is a little longer than my other on I have, but it also seems like it could of been my surplus ammo since I tried 2 different kinds and my lacquered seems to not give my any problems. Well I have to investigate this more now.

APMFxRl.jpg

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

No, no round got stuck in there as far as I know, It seems like the bolt is a little longer than my other on I have, but it also seems like it could of been my surplus ammo since I tried 2 different kinds and my lacquered seems to not give my any problems. Well I have to investigate this more now.
-snip

Well that's odd. Looks like the "back cap" on the bolt is longer (the bit that functions as a safety).

Gotta love that old school russian engineering eh?

7 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Get a head spacing kit.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

On 7/16/2016 at 10:35 AM, Trik'Stari said:

Noice. Whatcha doin to it?

Thanks!

It's a full build, going to be my heavy use non-NFA AR. The ATF paperwork to move my SBR across state lines is getting old quick.

Lower:

Spikes stripped lower

PSA LPK

LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger

Magpul CTR Stock

JP Enterprises captured buffer assy

Magpul MOE Grip

Magpul BAD Lever

Upper:

BCM upper reciever

LaRue 5.56 Stealth barrel

SLR Rifleworks adjustable titanium micro gas block

SLR Rifleworks Titanium micro comp

SLR Rifleworks 15" solo lite 

AIM MPI NiB BCG

BCM Ambi Charging handle

Accessories:

Troy Tritium BUIS (I have two sets of these already and absolutely love them)

Trijicon MRO (Probably, an Aimpoint T1/T2 would be an option as well)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

On 7/18/2016 at 8:06 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

Thanks!

It's a full build, going to be my heavy use non-NFA AR. The ATF paperwork to move my SBR across state lines is getting old quick.

Lower:

Spikes stripped lower

PSA LPK

LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger

Magpul CTR Stock

JP Enterprises captured buffer assy

Magpul MOE Grip

Magpul BAD Lever

Upper:

BCM upper reciever

LaRue 5.56 Stealth barrel

SLR Rifleworks adjustable titanium micro gas block

SLR Rifleworks Titanium micro comp

SLR Rifleworks 15" solo lite 

AIM MPI NiB BCG

BCM Ambi Charging handle

Accessories:

Troy Tritium BUIS (I have two sets of these already and absolutely love them)

Trijicon MRO (Probably, an Aimpoint T1/T2 would be an option as well)

Nice little build there, cant wait to see it done. 

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Nice little build there, cant wait to see it done. 

Thanks! Me either, its coming along nicely right now. :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Thanks! Me either, its coming along nicely right now. :)

Take lot of photos for me.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

Just now, Poohy14 said:

Take lot of photos for me.

As more parts come in, I will make sure to do exactly that :D

Well decided to take some pictures of the muzzle brake, the scope mount and but butt pad for my Mosin Nagant today. Will take some better ones when I get the time to do it.

Edit: Going to be ordering a Bipod for this soon.

Spoiler

sGkTaI1.jpg
E7YvG0R.jpg
OYCNSvG.jpg
5bGLDvX.jpg

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

A buddy came over last night so I could help him assemble his first AR, turned out pretty well :)

20160726_195618_1.jpg

On 7/27/2016 at 10:00 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

A buddy came over last night so I could help him assemble his first AR, turned out pretty well :)

20160726_195618_1.jpg

Wow that thing is beautiful.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler