Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

I picked up some more .45 ACP this morning on the way to work.  Going to stockpile a bunch and have a big shooting day soon.  I need some 5.56 as well, but only so much money to spend.

19 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

I picked up some more .45 ACP this morning on the way to work.  Going to stockpile a bunch and have a big shooting day soon.  I need some 5.56 as well, but only so much money to spend.

I know the feels, bro.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

18 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I know the feels, bro.

My 1911 really likes winchester service grade .45ACP but it's near to a $1/round here.  I also reload, but I need brass, so might as well buy commercial for the first cycle.

2 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

My 1911 really likes winchester service grade .45ACP but it's near to a $1/round here.  I also reload, but I need brass, so might as well buy commercial for the first cycle.

Mine has no issues with regular ol' winchester white box, for ~$0.50/round. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well installed my scope mount on my 1943 Mosin Nagant. Need to clean up the bolt on it since it take a lot of force to close it so I will really have to clean it where it is getting stuck at. Also still on the lookout for a AR-10 lower. Cheapest one was $250 but wasn't in stock.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

7 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well installed my scope mount on my 1943 Mosin Nagant. Need to clean up the bolt on it since it take a lot of force to close it so I will really have to clean it where it is getting stuck at. Also still on the lookout for a AR-10 lower. Cheapest one was $250 but wasn't in stock.

If the bolt of a Mosin is sticking, check the seating lip around the bolt face/head and the extractor tension. That is often the cause of a bolt that is hard to close.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

If the bolt of a Mosin is sticking, check the seating lip around the bolt face/head and the extractor tension. That is often the cause of a bolt that is hard to close.

Yupp, wachted that video already. was going to take care of the bolt today if I had time.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

4 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Yupp, wachted that video already. was going to take care of the bolt today if I had time.

I'm guess then, that you have seen his video on doing a trigger job for Mosins?

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

5 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Better idea: Put a bit of rubbing compound on either a 20 gauge bore brush, or one of those special chamber brushes for an AR-15, put it on the end of a drill, and give it a quick spin inside the chamber of your Mosin.

Most of the time, it's left-over cosmolin that's jamming your mosin up (you'd be surprised how much can be down in there). Don't start changing bolt surfaces unless you know what you are doing (no offense meant by that statement. You just don't want to get into a situation where you could hurt yourself or others)

Edit: I thought this was an unbolting issue. Nevermind. Sounds like the headspace is too tight if you have trouble closing it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Better idea: Put a bit of rubbing compound on either a 20 gauge bore brush, or one of those special chamber brushes for an AR-15, put it on the end of a drill, and give it a quick spin inside the chamber of your Mosin.

Most of the time, it's left-over cosmolin that's jamming your mosin up (you'd be surprised how much can be down in there). Don't start changing bolt surfaces unless you know what you are doing (no offense meant by that statement. You just don't want to get into a situation where you could hurt yourself or others)

Smoothing out the bolt face and adjusting the extractor on Mosins are both very common things that people do, and if you follow that video you have to really try hard to screw it up. I was operating under the (perhaps false) assumption that he has already cleared out the cosmoline from the chamber.

END OF LINE

6 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Smoothing out the bolt face and adjusting the extractor on Mosins are both very common things that people do, and if you follow that video you have to really try hard to screw it up. I was operating under the (perhaps false) assumption that he has already cleared out the cosmoline from the chamber.

Yeah. I was thinking of this issue which in my experience is far more common

Where you need a hammer, to open the bolt after a shot. I tried the rubbing compound trick and it works wonderfully. A lot of people don't get all that cosmolin out even though they might think so. There's a lot of space in that chamber for it to build up, and some times when you get it heated up, it flows into other areas and causes sticking. Steel case ammo makes it even worse because it expands more than brass cases.

I've never done any serious work to a mosin bolt other than welding on a curved bolt handle. Whenever it comes to the bolt face and the extractor, I tend air on the side of caution and think "well, what else could it be?" because I don't want to screw something up.

Just me being overly cautious of the power that these things have.

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah. I was thinking of this issue which in my experience is far more common

Where you need a hammer, to open the bolt after a shot. I tried the rubbing compound trick and it works wonderfully.

I get what you're saying, but it's two different issues. His is closing the bolt, where the cosmoline one is related to opening/extracting.

END OF LINE

4 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I get what you're saying, but it's two different issues. His is closing the bolt, where the cosmoline one is related to opening/extracting.

I know that now. I hadn't ever encountered that issue.

I'd still be a bit leary of taking a punch and hammer to the bolt face, just because I'm overly cautious when it comes to firearms.

Speaking of mosins, I need to do some work on mine. Started to disassemble the rear sight a few years ago, couldn't get the pins out. Tried to drill them but messed that up a pit. Need to find a drill press so I can get them out.

On 7/14/2016 at 9:25 AM, Real_PhillBert said:

Progress:

-snip

Noice. Whatcha doin to it?

SUP PEOPLE

im from canada (eh ?) and im going to California (Los Angeles) in october (13th-20th)  and I want to shoot a gun.

but im only 19 and im gonna be alone, no one to rent a gun with.

anything I can do ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

13 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

SUP PEOPLE

im from canada (eh ?) and im going to California (Los Angeles) in october (13th-20th)  and I want to shoot a gun.

but im only 19 and im gonna be alone, no one to rent a gun with.

anything I can do ?

Not sure how the gun rentals work with age. You could rent a shotgun or rifle in Virginia, but kommiefornia is WAAAY retarded with its gun laws.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+gun+rental+ranges&oq=california+gun+rental+ranges&aqs=chrome..69i57.4738j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Find one near where you will be, call them and explain your situation, and ask if you can rent a rifle or a shotgun for an hour. Might cost a bit. Worst they can do is say no. Not illegal to ask. They will probably require you to take a safety course of some kind (which you should take regardless if you've never handled a firearm before)

Most of the time, as far as I know, you have to be 21 for handguns, but rifles and shotguns are fine if you're over 18 (and thus legally considered an adult)

Note: Some places may say no, simply because their insurance requires anyone on the range to be 21 or older. Still, no harm in calling and asking. (Or e-mailing them. if calling international would cost to much). Furthermore, some ranges will require you to buy their ammunition for use on their range, which would be illegal for you to purchase because you are under 21.

12 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not sure how the gun rentals work with age. You could rent a shotgun or rifle in Virginia, but kommiefornia is WAAAY retarded with its gun laws.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+gun+rental+ranges&oq=california+gun+rental+ranges&aqs=chrome..69i57.4738j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Find one near where you will be, call them and explain your situation, and ask if you can rent a rifle or a shotgun for an hour. Might cost a bit. Worst they can do is say no. Not illegal to ask. They will probably require you to take a safety course of some kind (which you should take regardless if you've never handled a firearm before)

Most of the time, as far as I know, you have to be 21 for handguns, but rifles and shotguns are fine if you're over 18 (and thus legally considered an adult)

Note: Some places may say no, simply because their insurance requires anyone on the range to be 21 or older. Still, no harm in calling and asking. (Or e-mailing them. if calling international would cost to much). Furthermore, some ranges will require you to buy their ammunition for use on their range, which would be illegal for you to purchase because you are under 21.

the problem is that I need to be with someone else to rent a gun, I cannot be alone

I can rent and buy ammo for riffles and shotguns, not handguns

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

the problem is that I need to be with someone else to rent a gun, I cannot be alone

I can rent and buy ammo for riffles and shotguns, not handguns

Why can't you be alone? Or are you wanting to shoot a handgun specifically? You could more than likely rent a rifle or shotgun just fine depending on the range.

If you're wanting to shoot a handgun, you'd have to know someone who could rent one for you (some places might still object) but you could certainly shoot one in someones back yard.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Why can't you be alone? Or are you wanting to shoot a handgun specifically? You could more than likely rent a rifle or shotgun just fine depending on the range.

If you're wanting to shoot a handgun, you'd have to know someone who could rent one for you (some places might still object) but you could certainly shoot one in someones back yard.

the only place iv seen that looks decent is the LA Gunclub

and they require you to be 2 or more (unless you've got your firearms n shit)

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

the only place iv seen that looks decent is the LA Gunclub

and they require you to be 2 or more (unless you've got your firearms n shit)

Oooooh.

That sucks. Too bad you're not coming to Virginia. We got Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond. They allow single rentals. They also rent automatics but they only have like 3 different automatics to rent, and their shop is shitty.

Do they not have gun rental ranges in Canada?

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oooooh.

That sucks. Too bad you're not coming to Virginia. We got Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond. They allow single rentals. They also rent automatics but they only have like 3 different automatics to rent, and their shop is shitty

yeah

well I am most likely to drive from my city to plattsburgh (ny state) and take a plane from there (cus its cheaper >.>)   so I might be better off shooting a gun there

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

yeah

well I am most likely to drive from my city to plattsburgh (ny state) and take a plane from there (cus its cheaper >.>)   so I might be better off shooting a gun there

Just remember, take the safety course and remember the golden rules.

treat every firearm as if it is loaded

do not point a firearm at anything you are no willing to destroy

and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Just remember, take the safety course and remember the golden rules.

treat every firearm as if it is loaded

do not point a firearm at anything you are no willing to destroy

and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

its not cus I havn't shot a firearm that iv never shot a weapon :P

(daisy 853c) I used to do shooting competitions :D

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

its not cus I havn't shot a firearm that iv never shot a weapon :P

BB guns, Airsoft guns, paintball markers, and potato guns are not firearms or weapons. Do not equate them as such. Actual firearms are several orders of magnitude more powerful and dangerous. They are not toys and should not be equated to toys.