Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Well started my first AR build a while ago and just now finally started to order parts. I have to wait for my buffer tube to come in since I got sent the wrong one so maybe in a couple of weeks I will have it so I can start to put together this build. At least finish the lower. Then, do the upper some time in December when I have more money. Thinking about doing a .223 Wylde barrel since I been seeing some really good things about it so I have to do some more research on it eventually.

1wS43xL.png

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

16 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well started my first AR build a while ago and just now finally started to order parts. I have to wait for my buffer tube to come in since I got sent the wrong one so maybe in a couple of weeks I will have it so I can start to put together this build. At least finish the lower. Then, do the upper some time in December when I have more money. Thinking about doing a .223 Wylde barrel since I been seeing some really good things about it so I have to do some more research on it eventually.
*SNIP*

LaRue barrels use the .223 Wylde chamber, and have a reputation for exceptional reliability. Stealth barrels are a heavyish profile while the PreditAR barrels are more of a lightweight option.

http://www.larue.com/taxonomy/term/471?sort=popular

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I really didnt expect an AR out of them, its already a pretty saturated market.

That said, I feel like their designers have been stuck under a rock for the last 10 years though. Delta ring, non free floated rail, fixed front sight post, Keymod? About the only thing they got right was the midlength gas system. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

9 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I really didnt expect an AR out of them, its already a pretty saturated market.

That said, I feel like their designers have been stuck under a rock for the last 10 years though. Delta ring, non free floated rail, fixed front sight post, Keymod? About the only thing they got right was the midlength gas system. 

Yeah I agree but the thing is I was hoping for a gas piston not a gas impingement... oh well. Guess I will stick with my Ruger.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah I agree but the thing is I was hoping for a gas piston not a gas impingement... oh well. Guess I will stick with my Ruger.

To be honest I think the piston AR fad is over. DI is lighter, simpler and very proven at this point, albeit a bit dirtier. Then again if you want a piston just for the cool factor, go for it. 

17 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

To be honest I think the piston AR fad is over. DI is lighter, simpler and very proven at this point, albeit a bit dirtier. Then again if you want a piston just for the cool factor, go for it. 

No not for cool factor, preferred from experience. I absolutely hate cleaning that blow back. Did it in the service for 12 years not doing with my personal set up.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

No not for cool factor, preferred from experience. I absolutely hate cleaning that blow back. Did it in the service for 12 years not doing with my personal set up.

Kind of my reason for going piston on my AR too; though i was never in the service.

it's nice that the only cleaning i have to do in the chamber is the bolt face. 

Got a special delivery today!! Spoilers for those who might have slower internet, I went a bit pic crazy :D

Some titanium goodness:

2016_11_04_17_05_32.jpg

An SLR Sentry 7 titanium adjustable gas block:

2016_11_04_17_04_21.jpg

And an SLR Synergy Mini Comp in titanium as well:

2016_11_04_17_05_18.jpg

2016_11_04_17_05_06.jpg

Those happen to be the final two parts for me to *complete* this rifle project! 

*Not technically complete as it still needs an optic, BUIS, and a light, but its at least functional now.

Assembling the upper:

Rail off and gas block installed:

2016_11_04_17_27_50.jpg

Much sexiness with the hint of titanium under the rail:

2016_11_04_17_33_55.jpg

Comp installed:

2016_11_04_17_36_49.jpg

2016_11_04_17_37_29.jpg

Finally, the *complete* rifle:

2016_11_04_17_54_50.jpg

Still planning on a Trijicon MRO, Troy BUIS, and either a streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 or a Surefire M600 ultra. For now I'm going to throw the Vortex red dot that's been sitting in the back of my safe on it and see if I cant get that comp to change color :P

Today was the first day I ever fired a weapon. I shot a .22, a 9mm and a .45. The 1911 was my favorite also the .22. Had nice grouping on the target. Lets just say it was the best stress relief, as Im a stressed out college student. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

So took my new T3X out to zero today, windy as hell - got 1 shot on target at 100m (hit top frame) before another round of mine broke the target frame. Hate zeroing a scope :(

16 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

So took my new T3X out to zero today, windy as hell - got 1 shot on target at 100m (hit top frame) before another round of mine broke the target frame. Hate zeroing a scope :(

That's rough. I always zero starting at 25. Then I go to fifty where I set it to shoot about an inch high of where I'm aiming that way when I go out to 100 I only have to fine tune the shot. 

Well finally had time to sight my Mosin Nagant in after a couple of months having the scope but not the time to shoot. Have it sighted for 100 yards since that is easy to do and can use my milldot for longer ranges. Had to do it soon since I am taking it deer hunting in a couple weeks. Been busy remodeling my house and will be finally moving into it in 2 weeks now. Maybe after I go hunting I will try to find a bent bolt (that is already done and like what is on the PU Mosins) so I can slide that scope back more so I can actually use it better.

ADNUwQX.jpg

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Well finally had time to sight my Mosin Nagant in after a couple of months having the scope but not the time to shoot. Have it sighted for 100 yards since that is easy to do and can use my milldot for longer ranges. Had to do it soon since I am taking it deer hunting in a couple weeks. Been busy remodeling my house and will be finally moving into it in 2 weeks now. Maybe after I go hunting I will try to find a bent bolt (that is already done and like what is on the PU Mosins) so I can slide that scope back more so I can actually use it better.

Very nice.

What rail option are you using?

On 11/7/2016 at 11:01 AM, Thunderpup said:

Very nice.

What rail option are you using?

I am using a Brass Stacker Scout Scope Mount

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Thought you guys might like this. Almost the most well said YouTube comment I've ever seen.

-snip-

"pain ol fun" I've never heard of that kind of fun before. Sounds dangerous.

Towards the end of the Summer, I got to go trap shooting for the first time. That was my first time shooting a shotgun, and it was a ton of fun. Ended up buying a remington so that I can take it to the trap range when I want to have some fun.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

"pain ol fun" I've never heard of that kind of fun before.

That's when she puts on the leather and cracks out the whip ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Ooh. Found a cartridge conversion 1851 Navy .38 special. 

ca925-r-mnavy-7fullimage.jpg

$555 dollars.. not including shipping and additional costs.. And i don't have my firearms license yet.

So pretty though.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Just sitting here, thinking to myself.

I should get an AK.

Any suggestions? I definitely want something in 7.62x39. I want something that isn't rickety as hell. All but one of the AK's I've ever held, rattled like crazy and just generally felt like they were going to fall apart in my hand.

A friend in high school had one that was very nice. The finish was some kind of matte gun metal grey, synthetic furniture, basic iron sights etc. But it did. not. rattle. When I picked it up. Every single other AK I have ever held, the machine cover/dust cover shook like crazy when I picked them up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I should get an AK.

Any suggestions? I definitely want something in 7.62x39. I want something that isn't rickety as hell. All but one of the AK's I've ever held, rattled like crazy and just generally felt like they were going to fall apart in my hand.

A friend in high school had one that was very nice. The finish was some kind of matte gun metal grey, synthetic furniture, basic iron sights etc. But it did. not. rattle. When I picked it up. Every single other AK I have ever held, the machine cover/dust cover shook like crazy when I picked them up.

I too have considered picking up an AK recently, but I dont know much about who makes a good one vs a bad one. I hear Arsenal is the way to go but they bring a pretty hefty price tag. 

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I should get an AK.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I too have considered picking up an AK recently, but I dont know much about who makes a good one vs a bad one. I hear Arsenal is the way to go but they bring a pretty hefty price tag. 

I've been in the same boat you guys are for a while and still want to buy my first commie gun.  from reading and watching youtube i know arsenal is a safe bet, but they are expensive.  Century's newer stuff is more affordable and appear to be of decent quality.  Palmetto state armory recently started making them and so far the reviews are good.

Military arms channel and AK operators union local 47-74 are good places to look for AK related videos.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trying2NotDie said:

How many other AR 15 owners and what brand?

Diamondback DB15

I have a Rock River Arms complete rifle that started as an Entry Tactical, another Rock River Arms lower with a YHM 10.5" upper on it, and another home build based on a Spikes stripped lower.

2 hours ago, Trying2NotDie said:

How many other AR 15 owners and what brand?

Diamondback DB15

i have a PSA upper built on a DPMS lower.  

My next one, i already have the receivers, will be an umbrella corporation one. 

I built my AR15, it's a bit Noveske, V7, Rainer Arms, Vltor, BCM and Radical Firearms.