Seagate: SSDs will never match per-gigabyte costs of HDDs

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
Seagate Technology claims that no matter how cheap NAND flash memory will get in the coming years, it will never be able to match the per-gigabyte price of rotating magnetic media used in hard disk drives. In fact, the price of one gigabyte on a HDD will decrease to half of a penny over the next five years, according to one of the world’s largest makers of hard drives.

Prices of solid-state drives have declined dramatically in the recent years because NAND flash got significantly cheaper as a result of numerous technological breakthroughs and tough competition between several players. SanDisk Corp. and Toshiba Corp. predict that by 2020 the cost of non-volatile memory will decline so significantly that enterprise-class SSDs will match prices of enterprise-class hard disk drives in terms of per-gigabyte price. Seagate strongly disagrees with this prediction.

“In fact, the disparity between the cost on a dollar per gigabyte is upper to 20 to 1,I personally will never foresee the day, when there is a crossover [between the per-gigabyte cost of NAND and rotating magnetic media]. In 2020 we have drives in the portfolio that will be less than half a penny per-gigabyte. I just don’t see how you could get that from the competing technology.” - Dave Morton, senior vice president of finance at Seagate, at Citigroup’s global technology conference. - Dave Morton, senior vice president of finance at Seagate, at Citigroup’s global technology conference. 

Today, an inexpensive consumer-class 3TB HDD costs around $100, or about $0.033 (3 cents) per-gigabyte. A low-cost 120GB SSD retails for approximately $70, which means that its per-gigabyte cost is around $0.58 (58 cents). There is a different arithmetic for datacentre-class SSDs and HDDs, but the per-gigabyte price difference between the two kinds of storage devices is still huge.

However, for many datacentre applications per-gigabyte cost does not really matter. What matters is the amount of read/write input/output operations per second (IOPS) a storage solution can perform, its maximum bandwidth and power consumption. SSDs are orders of magnitude faster than HDDs in terms of IOPS (the fastest 15K RPM HDDs support around 200 IOPS, whereas modern high-end SSDs declare around one million IOPS) and they provide significantly higher bandwidth.For many datacentre applications today, HDDs are irrelevant. However, for cold storage and archive applications SSDs are too expensive, which is why datacentres use both solid-state drives and hard disk drives to store different kinds of data.

seagate_ssd_3.jpg

I personally think he's wrong, it will happen eventually, he's just not willing reduce the price as he sees it as a profit, saying the priced will never match cost per gig is like apple saying 16 gb is more than enough. remember HDD manufacturers said the same thing when they were new.
when SSD's are growing in capacities, ofcourse the price would come down eventually. 

source : http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/seagate-ssds-will-never-match-per-gigabyte-costs-of-hdds/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I seriously doubt this. Tech always gets cheaper and more powerful. Eventually some other form of storage will come along that will knock both out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Honestly i kinda agree. I mean, look at how cheap HDDs are now. I hope Seagate isn't wrong at all. I love my hard drives religiously and i never wanna replace them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I long for the day ssds become THE standard thing in ALL pcs, that would bring prices down even further IMO, even now, in 2015 go on any dell or hp site and most if not all of their stuff aimed at average joe doesn't come with an ssd as standard, they have to manually configure it to include one

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Seagate, the only company in the top storage manufacturer (WD, Crucial, Kingston...) who didn't release SSD's for individuals (alongside HGST) bascically says SSD's will never topple Harddrives.

Yeaaaah...

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I long for the day ssds become THE standard thing in ALL pcs, that would bring prices down even further IMO, even now, in 2015 go on any dell or hp site and most if not all of their stuff aimed at average joe doesn't come with an ssd as standard, they have to manually configure it to include one

I honestly cannot picture seeing PCs run SSD only at all. But it's me. I would never run a PC SSD-only. It must have an HDD or else i won't use it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Seagate, the only company in the top storage manufacturer (WD, Crucial, Kingston...) who didn't release SSD's for individuals (alongside HGST) bascically says SSD's will never topple Harddrives.

Yeaaaah...

Well, they did release SSDs for individuals. The 600 Series.

What he's not bringing to the table is usage. What will be the average standard size on the average consumer machine in 5 years? 10tb? 20? 50? Ooooor, will it slow down like we're seeing right now to the 1-2tb sizes? A size that the hdd guys will have already passed by and the ssd guys happily playing in at the $30 - 50 price range? With 3D NAND and 4level TLC it won't take long for the price of decent sized drives to plummet. 

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

The size of the hdd is limited to the size of the disc, and whatever trickery they can pull (blueray was an example for optical) can only hold out for so long; will SSD top size of Hdd I think yes but it also has a limit due to size constraints, I personally think molecular structure (likely carbon) based storage needs to become a thing as that would last forever at least in theory (modifying carbon crystal or nanotube lattice) but we don't know how to do such a thing yet to store data, so I see ssd surpassing hdd unless someone makes a hdd with infinite layering potencial

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Honestly i kinda agree. I mean, look at how cheap HDDs are now. I hope Seagate isn't wrong at all. I love my hard drives religiously and i never wanna replace them.

but-why.gif

Well I guess we'll see who is correct.

Obviously we all hope that Seagate is wrong here, I want to get rid of my hard drives in both my desktop and servers so badly, but SSD's aren't affordable enough for that kind of switch, yet.

I kind of hope Seagate is right, because it means HDDs will have to get a lot cheaper and ramp up capacity aggressively. SSDs are going to keep trucking, if HDD makers can speed up their progress well then that's great.

Yeaaaah...

Uh, Seagate has been offering consumer SSDs for a while now...

because it's just me. I grew up with hard drives, i don't want to see them die before me.

91sn32Q.jpg?fb

SSDs are the future and 'old man' Seagate needs to give in or be left behind. The usefulness of HDDs is reaching its end, and its time to embrace new technologies. What's sad is we don't even need to do anything about this, their declining sales alone will spell out just how wrong they were.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I don't buy it. Optical discs have physical limits, and we're pretty close to them already. Flash memory on the other hand is much more flexible in this sense. Eventually hdds will hit a brick wall (probably around 16tb) and sit there, whereas ssds are doubling maximum capacity every year. When the prices truly start to drop, and ssds are at 256tb while hdds are stuck at 16, it won't make sense to use hdds anymore. For storing absurd amounts of data tape is still king btw.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hmm i think they have a point, you see hdds exploding with massive numbers and ssds are chasing, even if ssds get cheaper to manufacture they will cost more because majority of the consumer will not know that they have a large profit margin.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I kind of hope Seagate is right, because it means HDDs will have to get a lot cheaper and ramp up capacity aggressively. SSDs are going to keep trucking, if HDD makers can speed up their progress well then that's great.

Uh, Seagate has been offering consumer SSDs for a while now...

Well, they did release SSDs for individuals. The 600 Series.

Really? Sorry, didn't see!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

because it's just me. I grew up with hard drives, i don't want to see them die before me.

70mm reels and shooting in Reels were a thing, but you can create them as such on digital, there's absolutely no use shooting a movie on reel compared to digital, the same way HDD's are gonna go away eventually. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Well Toshiba is predicting 128TB SSD's by 2018, do you think HD's can get that high by then as well? Of course 128TB won't be available to the masses, but by 2020 or so we should have consumer SSD's close to that capacity and I don't see how HD's can even come close to that.

I honestly cannot picture seeing PCs run SSD only at all. But it's me. I would never run a PC SSD-only. It must have an HDD or else i won't use it.

I was mainly talking about laptops where there is only room for one drive but the same can be said for desktops but I think you could be in a tiny minority there...

Are you talking about redundancy or some other reason? As we all know ssds are superior drives to hdds right? Don't get me wrong I know there WAS a time when SSDs were unreliable (1st and 2nd gen) but now look at some of the usage tests done by Samsung...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

SSDs are the future and 'old man' Seagate needs to give in or be left behind. The usefulness of HDDs is reaching its end, and its time to embrace new technologies. What's sad is we don't even need to do anything about this, their declining sales alone will spell out just how wrong they were.

Capitalism at its finest

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Remember Sandforce? That belongs to Seagate now. They're not entirely clueless about what's happening.

That's fine, as long as ssd's get cheaper it's good.

I mean we are getting to a point where you can get an ssd with enough storage for most things for quite cheap!

And ssd's aren't great at long-term storage while hdd's are.

So SSD for OS and programs, HDD for mass storage. And that's how it's going to be for a looong time.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon