SteamOS doesn't/won't support the ability to put the system to sleep.

GoodBytes

In a world where game console consume a lot of power, the ability to have a good standby system to put the console to sleep to save power is becoming a must, especially that consoles so fancy that they take time to boot, unlike the older cartridge based console.

steamlink-640x360.jpg

Valve has mentioned in a bug report that SteamOS does not, and they have no plans to, support sleep feature like Windows powered systems. This is probably because a big problem with Linux is drivers support, and sleep is not a feature that is easy to implement, and therefor few hardware actually properly support it without issue continuously.

However, instead of trying to have it, Valve decided to just simply to remove it. You can only turn off your SteamOS powered system, or leave it on all the time consuming hight amount of power idle.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/steam-machines-wont-have-a-suspend-function/

hmm but doesnt ubuntu support sleep ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

sleep and hybernation is not the same

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

i didnt say it was

i thought ubuntu supported sleep

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This I can overlook easily since Linux on an SSD can boot as fast as windows, hardly a problem nowadays, but this really is smaller news preceding another big announcement: I don't think steam os will support AMD GPUs or APUs at all. There's just no signs of life at all of any short of driver improvement and we're a few months away from release.

So really once again, Linux gaming is dead in the water due to gpu driver support. Honestly it's kinda shitty even on windows but it's literally on a not usable state for Linux.

-------

Current Rig

-------

almost all x86-64 versions of linux support sleeping. It's embedded and custom made devices such as the Raspberry Pi and various android tablets that don't support sleep."Sleep" on Android is literally just the screen turning off and the processor slowing down to as low as 200MHz. Real Sleep is when the computer powers down whilst still sipping on power to keep the data alive in RAM.

In a world in which an OS, particularly one as lightweight as Linux, can be booted from an SSD in under 10 seconds, does this actually matter?

The PlayStation 3 is an example of such a console - as old as it is - that can boot its unix-based OS from even a hard drive in roughly 10-20 seconds.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

All the distros I've run support sleep. And I've run A LOT of distros.  They even support sleep in live mode sometimes.  Including Debian, which is what SteamOS is based off of.  I think OP's article is a little BS.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

In a world in which an OS, particularly one as lightweight as Linux, can be booted from an SSD in under 10 seconds, does this actually matter?

It does because of the quoted reason: poor driver support. This will cause endless problem and really will ultimately lead to this projects' failure imho.

-------

Current Rig

-------

All the distros I've run support sleep. And I've run A LOT of distros.  They even support sleep in live mode sometimes.  Including Debian, which is what SteamOS is based off of.  I think OP's article is a little BS.

If Valve is using custom hardware that is not following any kind of specification unlike PCs, then sleep is not practical to implement.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Aren't you supposed to not use sleep/hybernate when using an OS installed on an SSD?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Aren't you supposed to not use sleep/hybernate when using an OS installed on an SSD?

Huh? No. You can do what you want.

Huh? No. You can do what you want.

Yes but everything I've ever read has said to turn off sleep and hybernation because the files created from entering sleep/hybernation cause excess writes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is probably because a big problem with Linux is drivers support, and sleep is not a feature that is easy to implement

But Linux is the best operating system, right?

-_-

Yes but everything I've ever read has said to turn off sleep and hybernation because the files created from entering sleep/hybernation cause excess writes.

Sleep? Nope, completely different. Sleep doesn't have anything to do with local storage. Sleep just tells the rest of the computer to shut up before it shuts them down and keeps only the RAM turned on.

Hibernation? Depends how many programs you have open. Generally it won't matter. It doesn't cause anywhere near the amount of damage defragmenting does.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

the one thing i always use in windows, Hybrid sleep.... really , when was the last time you really shut down your PC ?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Wouldn't the Power C States still work on a bios level? Undervolting the CPU to save power? Wouldn't GPU's scale their speeds down when not in use, like they do on windows? Even if it does not support sleep directly,  hardware in general has plenty of features to save power when not being tasked to do things. I do not see this as that big of a deal.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If Valve is using custom hardware that is not following any kind of specification unlike PCs, then sleep is not practical to implement.

That's true, but it's an EASY feature to implement.  It's not like it's even hard to add that package.  Plus, I'm sure lots of people would use the feature.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

That's true, but it's an EASY feature to implement.  It's not like it's even hard to add that package.  Plus, I'm sure lots of people would use the feature.

Waking the computer from sleep is another thing. At the moment, Steam OS is literally a program running on top of Linux. With things like controllers, they'd need some solid hardware integration to allow those peripherals to wake up the console. Unless they work with the hardware manufacturer to allow a USB port or a certain peripheral to stay powered during sleep, which would have the ability to wake the system.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Wouldn't the Power C States still work on a bios level? Undervolting the CPU to save power? Wouldn't GPU's scale their speeds down when not in use, like they do on windows? Even if it does not support sleep directly,  hardware in general has plenty of features to save power when not being tasked to do things. I do not see this as that big of a deal.

You have basic power management for the CPU and about all your processors/controllers in anything in your computer. But Windows adds logic control system (if you want to call it that), which by knowing better at what you are doing with the system, can better control the power usage.

Undervolting saves power, but you increase instability, especially if you want to really save power. Also, assuming you can do that and cut a lot, powering RAM and part of the motherboard consumes far less power than having a computer on all the time.

You have basic power management for the CPU and about all your processors/controllers in anything in your computer. But Windows adds logic control system (if you want to call it that), which by knowing better at what you are doing with the system, can better control the power usage.

Undervolting saves power, but you increase instability, especially if you want to really save power. Also, assuming you can do that and cut a lot, powering RAM and part of the motherboard consumes far less power than having a computer on all the time.

It's been far too long since i've last looked into ACPI. I'll have to go take another look at it i suppose. Either way, this is marketed on those "steam gaming consoles" right? I normally shut my consoles down after a gaming session. I can't imagine wanting to leave them on all the time. I guess to each their own.

It's been far too long since i've last looked into ACPI. I'll have to go take another look at it i suppose. Either way, this is marketed on those "steam gaming consoles" right? I normally shut my consoles down after a gaming session. I can't imagine wanting to leave them on all the time. I guess to each their own.

When you turn off your console, by default, it puts it to sleep.

When you turn off your console, by default, it puts it to sleep.

You severely underestimate how old my consoles are  ;)

nintendo-64.439889.jpg