Commodore (yes, the old school PC company) is back...with a smartphone

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/

Source 2: http://www.androidcentral.com/commodore-set-launch-android-phone-europe-week

Source 3: http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/14/commodore-phone/

Commodore - the company behind the well loved Commodore 64 - is back, but not in the PC business. Instead they're back with a smartphone. Hey, whatever, I won't judge, but the smartphone market is already saturated. Whelp, let's see what Commodore has to offer.

Introducing the Commodore PET. It will cost $300 for the 2GB/16GB model and $365 for the 32GB/3GB model and will run a custom version of Android 5.0. Among other specs include a 5.5" 1920x1080p ISP display, 2GB (or 3GB) of RAM, MediaTek octo-core processor at 1.7GHz, 13MP main camera, 8MP front camera, 16GB (or 32GB) of storage with microSD expansion and comes with a 32GB microSD card, and powering it all is a 3,000mAh battery. The PET is available in three colors: white, black, and beige. 

For right now, the Commodore PET will only be available in Italy, France, Germany, and Poland, but there are plans to bring it to the US and to other European countries in the near future.

I mean, it's cool that Commodore is back and all, but this phone leaves much to be desired... Don't get me wrong, it's a decent phone, but the pricing could be better, especially when you compare it to the OnePlus One, for example, which is $50 less. I do wish for the phone to sell well, but we shall see. Are you interested in this phone?

01b274c34b.jpg

COMIC SANS

seriously why isnt there a 64gb version, it would have been perfect

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

seriously why isnt there a 64gb version, it would have been perfect

But it has microSD expansion, and it comes with a 32GB SD card.

COMIC SANS

But it has microSD expansion, and it comes with a 32GB SD card.

close enough ill take it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Wow, I think nobody expected this. It's really cool to see them back. That being said, I don't think that geek nostalgia will be enough to sell a phone in the already oversaturated market.

Still don't trust OnePlus as far as I can throw them.

Still. Just waiting for Sinclair and Acorn to come back now!

I mean... I know Acorn kind of evolved into ARM but it's not the same.

Still. Just waiting for Sinclair and Acorn to come back now!

I mean... I know Acorn kind of evolved into ARM but it's not the same.

I was a catcher back in jr high and high school, I can probably throw a phone a fair ways....

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Why dont you trust them? :o

Take my non-existence money ! 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I love my G4, it's very easy to handle and everything... but this trend towards 5.5" and higher phones is getting pretty out of hand.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

PET is the danish intelligence service. Not sure I want my phone to be branded with that. The brand logos even look similar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Security_and_Intelligence_Service

Scary :S

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I love my G4, it's very easy to handle and everything... but this trend towards 5.5" and higher phones is getting pretty out of hand.

Literally.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Looks good but I stopped reading at Octa core CPU, it just screams poor per core performance and wasted money. I mean, assuming it's the 6595 it's a touch over the 805... I mean, 8 core CPU which is roughly as powerful as a 4 core CPU, I know which one I'd take because there's probably only a handful of apps that'll use 8 cores.

Waiting for the Amiga 500 or 2000 edition. It must come, don't ruin my dreams!

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I was a catcher back in jr high and high school, I can probably throw a phone a fair ways....

Lmao the company, not the phone

Part of me doesn't want to know about it because The only links to the original company are some paper trails through 3 bankruptcy and solvency cases.  I don't think they even own any of the original IP and possibly have only obtained the name and logo because it became defunct and up for grabs again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Have they been around making other stuff this while time or did they seriously just go zombie mode and rise from the dead.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

why would you want this over the Zenfone 2 ?

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

I found it pretty funny when they said it would come with 2 preinstalled emulators so you could play games from the 80's :P