Intel Skylake Xeon Could Pack 28 core and hex channel memory? Thoughts?

BiG StroOnZ

27xkrhg.jpg                                                                               

The “Purley” platform will support dual-socket (2S), quad-socket (4S) as well as octa-socket (8S) machines and will rely on Intel’s next-generation a point-to-point processor interconnect UPI (Ultra Path Interconnect) bus, which will replace the company’s current-gen QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) technology.

The “Purley” server platform will be the first to support six-channel memory per socket, which will provide massive amount of bandwidth to each processor. Besides, the new platform will also be the first to support Intel’s OmniPath 100Gb/s fabric to connect for external compute and I/O nodes, which will greatly increase performance in supercomputer applications.

At present, not a lot is known about Intel’s next-generation UltraPath Interconnect (UPI) technology (also known as KTI or Keizer Technology Interconnect), except the fact that it will operate at 9.6GT/s or 10.4GT/s data-rates and will be considerably more efficient than today’s QPI since it will support multiple requests per message.

Intel will release three different versions of Xeon processors for its “Purley” platform targeting different applications – “Skylake-EP”, “Skylake-EX” and “Skylake-F” – according to a report from CPU World. The new chips will feature up to 28 cores based on the “Skylake” micro-architecture with AVX512 instructions and Hyper-Transport technology, up to six DDR4 memory channels (up to two 2400MHz DIMMs per channel are supported, i.e., up to 768GB of DDR4 memory per socket without SMB), up to 48 PCI Express 3.0 lanes as well as two or three UPI channels per socket.

• Intel Xeon “Skylake-EP” processors will be aimed at mainstream dual-socket (2S) servers and will thus only have two UPI links. Thermal design power of low-power versions of such processors will range from 45W to 80W, whereas standard high-performance offerings will have TDP of up to 145W. Workstation-class offerings with increased clock-rates will be rated to dissipate up to 160W.

• Intel Xeon “Skylake-EX” processors will be designed for high-performance and mission critical machines with two, four or even eight sockets, which means that they will feature up to three UPI links. The processors will introduce new RAS [reliability, availability, serviceability] features such as Instruction Retry (pipeline error protection for integers), Advanced Error Detection and Correction as well as Adaptive Dual Device Data Correction, to make next-gen high-end servers even more robust. According to previously released unofficial information, Intel’s forthcoming expandable processors will support four times higher memory capacity (compared to today’s chips) thanks to “Apache Pass” scalable memory buffer (SMB), which means up to 6144GB (over 6TB) per socket, or up to 24576GB of DDR4 RAM per 4S machine. The “Skylake-EX” chips will have TDP of up to 165W.

• Intel Xeon “Skylake-F” will be aimed at high-performance computing applications (which use 2S platforms) and will incorporate one link of the first-generation OmniPath fabric with 100Gb/s bandwidth. The latter will be supported by the code-named “Storm Lake” chip, which will be incorporated into the Xeon’s multi-chip-module (MCM) package. Among other things, Omni-Path Fabric will be used to connect to next-gen Xeon Phi co-processors.

Thanks to massively higher memory bandwidth, increased core count, improved micro-architecture and 512-bit AVX-3.* instructions, expect Intel Xeon “Skylake” processors to offer dramatically higher performance compared to today’s central processing units for servers. The architecture of the processors will be configurable, hence, Intel will easily tailor it for custom solutions required by its large cloud datacenter clients.

Since the new chips will feature more memory channels, integrated fabric and will be considerably more complex than today’s server microprocessors, Intel will introduce all-new infrastructure for its “Purley” platform.

The upcoming Xeon “Skylake” processors will use the new socket P0 and will feature flip-chip land-grid array packaging (FC-LGA) with up to 3467 contacts. The final amount of pins to be used is unclear today, but according to unofficial information, it will exceed 3000 balls.

The dimensions of the new Xeon processor packages will also be considerably larger compared to today’s LGA2011-3. Intel is currently considering 76mm*51mm or 76mm*56mm sizes, CPU World claims. By contrast, today’s Core i7 Extreme and Xeon E5/E7 chips in LGA2011-3 form-factor feature 58.5mm*51mm component size. Mainstream Intel LGA1150 processor come in 37.5mm*37.5mm packages.

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intels-28-core-xeon-skylake-cpus-to-support-6tb-of-dram-use-3467-pin-socket/

Looks like Intel is taking their next step in total server space domination with these Skylake Xeon processors here. Increasing the size of the CPU considerably, offering up to octa-socket machines, and amount of total memory per socket. Also for the amount of cores they will have, the TDP really doesn't look that bad at all, and they also say they will offer high performance versions as well with increased clocks. This platform looks like it will be a breakthrough altogether, it looks like Intel will seriously take even more of hold on the server market space once these chips launch in 2017. 

Google Chrome be like: needs more RAM to have 5 tabs open.

OT: 28 cores? Linus needs to update his server with 2 of these...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I'm sitting here with 12GB, while Intel is releasing a CPU that can support 6TB.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

tumblr_inline_npmw8k4SAi1rxbm9w_540.jpg

"Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm weak

Maybe I'm blinded by what I see"

- Angel | Theory Of A Deadman

Looks like Intel is taking their next step in total server space domination with these Skylake Xeon processors here. Increasing the size of the CPU considerably, offering up to octa-socket machines, and amount of total memory per socket. Also for the amount of cores they will have, the TDP really doesn't look that bad at all, and they also say they will offer high performance versions as well with increased clocks. This platform looks like it will be a breakthrough altogether, it looks like Intel will seriously take more of hold on the server market space even more once these chips launch in 2017. 

Holy shit. That's a lot of RAM support. How much will eight of these CPUs cost me? I'm willing to sell my left testicle.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

well this is good, unless you fsr need more then 6TB of RAM imagine that for a home cloud....

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm gonna need a bigger chip!

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

well this is good, unless you fsr need more then 6TB of RAM imagine that for a home cloud....

That page file.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How many of these can you have together? 2 or 4?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

This is me right now.

But anyways...

HOLY BALLS THAT'S MORE RAM THAN I HAVE STORAGE FOR ALL OF MY CRAP COMBINED

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

And I have 4GB...

This is a bad ass here, getting the most out of his system :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Imagine that CPU folding 0_0

Or your whole house stroage on ram 

Having everything stored in RAM and praying for no sudden shut down :D

6 TB? imagine 5.5 TB RAM DISK + 500 GB RAM holy crap, that would be faaaaast gaming pc :)

if only it could save data while PC is off and you could write OS directly to the ramdisk :) lol that would be some thing! fuck ssds and hdds 10-12 GB/s RAMDISK

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Holy shit, the entire My Little Pony collections on one chip!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

8x(28x2), this is crazy

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D