Intel Skylake-S ‘K-Series’ Processors Won’t Ship with Stock HSF – Third Party Coolers Recommended

escape093

If they're dumb enough to not know that a cpu needs a heatsink, they probably wouldn't even get far enough to post.

"It was too confusing and I got my dick stuck in a sata port"

I'm saying that they'd assume it didn't need a cooler because it won't come with one.

Sig under construction.

Literally what I was thinking. Doesn't it cost intel like 30 cents to make one of those coolers...?

Maybe they could use that money to funnel into some development instead of giving us 10% increase/generation ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

What about it? It's fixed now. :P

It is not fixed at all ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

What about it? It's fixed now. :P

No. No sirrah, it is not.

I don't do signatures.

<snip>

Cant read in dark theme.... :(

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Does anyone even buy 'K' series chips to use the Intel included Heatsink? Seems good to do this like they do with the X99 stuff and some Xeons.

It's definitely a minority, but I did for a few months until I could afford a better heatsink.

I was actually hoping to get an Intel heatsink with the 6700k to put on my 2500k and retire it to my parents. 

Might be a problem for people who wouldn't have their own thermal solution on the day of the build

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think this is a pretty bad move since we will have to install a custom heat sink for out of case testing. Imagine you waste so much time to install a super hard cooler like Dark Rock Pro 3 only to find that your CPU is DOA and you have to strip the whole thing apart again.

It is not fixed at all ...

No. No sirrah, it is not.

It broke. Again.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Does anyone even buy 'K' series chips to use the Intel included Heatsink? Seems good to do this like they do with the X99 stuff and some Xeons.

Lol I used the stock heatsink on my 4690k for like 3 months :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I think that it's pretty cool that they won't give you something that won't do your new CPU much justice.

Not sure if Spoilers are fixed yet but whatever...

[spoiler=]Test

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Well this is stupid. Out-of-case tests are slightly harder now, and if you can't quite afford a cooler you don't have a stock one to work with. :/

Not to be ultra supremacy here, but if you can't afford a cpu cooler you shouldn't be buying a k card anyways.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Everyone who's built an intel pc will have a stock cooler and it seems like they will still be compatible. This is only a problem for people coming into pc building. If you are serious just pick up a $20 cooler. My local computer store sells a cooler that is a beefier stock cooler.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

If anyone would be buying a high-end CPU, it's a 95% chance the consumer is also buying a third-party cooler.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Maybe they could use that money to funnel into some development instead of giving us 10% increase/generation ...

Intel has given you far more than 10% per generation. It's up to software to evolve with hardware. Even as compilers get better at optimization you can see differences adding up all the time.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If anyone would be buying a high-end CPU, it's a 95% chance the consumer is also buying a third-party cooler.

You will be surprised how many 4690K builds still use stock intel coolers.

Not me personally, but a couple of builds I did, have the stock heatsink. The people I built for don't overclock so whatevs.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

coolers as effective and inexpensive as the Hyper 212 EVO.

Raijintek Themis*

There really is no reason** to remember the CM 212 series anymore when Raijintek supplanted it in every possible way: performance, looks, noise and price.

**unless you're in USA, in which case, NCIX have a monopoly on it and are bleeding every buck they can out of it. (it's supposed to be $24)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I think this is fine as long as Intel are actually providing their own first party coolers that come separately. It allows you to decide whether or not you want to pay for an intel cooler and it also comes down to the fact their stock coolers at the moment are pretty pathetic. If they can bring out a high performance inexpensive air cooler separately I am all for this. I am looking forward to seeing those coolers performing.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Intel has given you far more than 10% per generation. It's up to software to evolve with hardware. Even as compilers get better at optimization you can see differences adding up all the time.

I still have that feeling that Intel is holding back ... Not sure though ... Maybe it's just me ...

Well this is stupid. Out-of-case tests are slightly harder now, and if you can't quite afford a cooler you don't have a stock one to work with. :/

That's exactly what I thought.

I just imagined the person who bought the 6700K for their first water cooled system, and they have to put the loop together outside of the case to test it somehow.....either that or buy a heatsink that they'll never actually use.

This'll have very little if any impact on the price in all likelihood, I mean you can buy the tray/oem 4790K (no heatsink and only a 30 day warranty directly from superbiiz) for $10 less than the boxed one (heatsink and 3YR intel warranty).

Even with the warranty taken out of the equation along with the heatsink it still only costs $10 less; Intel might surprise us, and I hope they do, but I doubt we'll see a decrease in the cost for the end user.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I don't understand why people think stock coolers are shit, if you're not overclocking they are fine, in fact they are more than adequate and aren't noisy. I haven't overclocked a cpu since I had my athlon, thus have been using stock cooling since 2004/6 (sometime around then).  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's exactly what I thought.

I just imagined the person who bought the 6700K for their first water cooled system, and they have to put the loop together outside of the case to test it somehow.....either that or buy a heatsink that they'll never actually use.

This'll have very little if any impact on the price in all likelihood, I mean you can buy the tray/oem 4790K (no heatsink and only a 30 day warranty directly from superbiiz) for $10 less than the boxed one (heatsink and 3YR intel warranty).

Even with the warranty taken out of the equation along with the heatsink it still only costs $10 less; Intel might surprise us, and I hope they do, but I doubt we'll see a decrease in the cost for the end user.

The thing is that the cost of the CPU will not include the cost of a shit stock cooler. So you wont end up losing anyway. Just buy their first party performance air cooler for thr 30 bucks or less it is likely to be.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Removing the HSF from all enthusiast class SKUs would allow Intel to cut costs without compromising on product quality

I don't believe that for a minute, it would be nice but I can't see them racing to apply a good thermal paste (hardly expensive anyway for some Arctic Cooling or whatever). They are still going to use the same bullshit has Haswell which is only marginally better than Ivy Bridge.

It will equal more $$$ in their pocket and we'll end up with the same penny pinching shite. Thank you Intel.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate