Intel Skylake-S ‘K-Series’ Processors Won’t Ship with Stock HSF – Third Party Coolers Recommended

escape093

I still have that feeling that Intel is holding back ... Not sure though ... Maybe it's just me ...

Most of their focus is on enterprise and mobile, no doubt, and yes, they do still hold back features from the future, but we don't have software which actually pushes the boundaries of what our given hardware can already do. We may feel bottle necked by a Sandy Bridge chip, but in most cases that is either bad programming or a limit of an API.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Raijintek Themis*

There really is no reason** to remember the CM 212 series anymore when Raijintek supplanted it in every possible way: performance, looks, noise and price.

**unless you're in USA, in which case, NCIX have a monopoly on it and are bleeding every buck they can out of it. (it's supposed to be $24)

Newegg for $28 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA66Z28G3802&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+%26+Heatsinks-_-9SIA66Z28G3802&gclid=CJnosu6mrcYCFYcCaQod7agJsg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Does anyone even buy 'K' series chips to use the Intel included Heatsink? Seems good to do this like they do with the X99 stuff and some Xeons.

I used it while testing my PC before full assembly.

As soon as I started to put the PC together, I basically junked it and installed my Phanteks CPU cooler.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

So how much cheaper will the processor be to buy it without any cooler?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

So how much cheaper will the processor be to buy it without any cooler?

About 30 cents according to a post on here ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

About 30 cents according to a post on here ...

Lol. That makes me sad.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

this would be awesome if it enabled them to ship k series processors at the same price as the non k versions

but this will likely not be the case :'(

pls intel... pls

i like turtles

Well this is stupid. Out-of-case tests are slightly harder now, and if you can't quite afford a cooler you don't have a stock one to work with. :/

if you can afford a high end cpu ypu should be able to afford a decent HSF

It doesn't effect me at all because I have a bunch still in their boxes lying around but if a new builder wants to test out of case this can be a bit of a pain. ah well. 

Does anyone even buy 'K' series chips to use the Intel included Heatsink? Seems good to do this like they do with the X99 stuff and some Xeons.

Some people use them temporarily when they don't have the money for that H100i right away.

I have my 2600K at 4.4Ghz and 60C on the stock cooler  :)

I'd rather have them include the stock cooler, so that way you have a backup if something happens with your third party cooler.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

Shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you're not going to overclock then buy the none k version.

If you are going to overclock then you are going to need an aftermarket cooler anyway.

I'm sure there are people who will argue that they will plan on overclocking in the future but I wonder how many people actually follow through with that.

I doubt this will effect many people as far as them damaging the CPU because they didn't know it needed a cooler.

I have to believe that people who don't know the CPU needs a cooler are not the kind of people who build PCs them selves and so they will either buy a prebuilt of some kind or have someone with more experience help them.

Of course there are always some outliers (that's why you see those stupid warning like "Caution, sharp!" on knives or "Not to be used as mayonnaise" on Elmer's glue)

if you can afford a high end cpu ypu should be able to afford a decent HSF

That's where your logic goes out the window. Maybe you spent most of your paycheck on said CPU, but can't afford to get a cooler for two more weeks.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's great if it would reduce the price a bit, so the gap between the K versions and non-K versions becomes smaller. Would be dirty if Intel were to keep the same price gap.

Ohh they will though. The price will remain exactly the same though I would love to be proven wrong.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Seems like a logical move by Intel. The only reason to buy a "K" processor is to overclock the chip, for which nobody should ever use the stock cooler! 

This does mean no stock benchmarks and in some cases people will buy them out of ignorance, but I'm really curious as to how many people will be this ignorant. When you build a PC you do research on the parts that you use, so you should know that there won't be a cooler included.

Seems like a logical move by Intel. The only reason to buy a "K" processor is to overclock the chip, for which nobody should ever use the stock cooler! 

This does mean no stock benchmarks and in some cases people will buy them out of ignorance, but I'm really curious as to how many people will be this ignorant. When you build a PC you do research on the parts that you use, so you should know that there won't be a cooler included.

I can see this being an issue for a small minority that builds a PC and wants to test that it works before watercooling or whatever, but that is a very small minority. And people who build a lot of PC's should have a spare intel cooler somewhere anyway that they can use. Assuming the cooler mounting holes are the same spacing.

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

I think whoever thinks the "savings" will be passed on to consumers must be dreaming. Pretty sure it won;t happen at all.

In fact it might just be a cost cutting measure cause the next gen CPUs are coming alrdy and they probably don't expect this to sell as well...

Pretty much the only way this could be pretty bad is if they don't put something on the box to tell you you need a cooler, like with the CPUs that say "separate graphics adapter required" on the box.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

emm...yes

just imagine the ammount of people that buys a K cpu just because they heard its cool/the best. then using it with a h81 mobo and stock cooler

so it doesnt seem a good ideea