Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

Wait for the driver unlock. Some of those guys tested the card with 15.4 beta drivers even... I mean... I have at the moment 15.6 Really now.

The latest for the 300 series and Fury is 15.15. 15.20 is due out soon so we'll see if they make any changes. I too noticed some reviewers using 15.5 which is not the right driver. Could it have made that much difference? I don't know. 

Also, I'm running 15.15 myself (290 flashed with 390x BIOS) and it shows on MSI AB and in GPUZ as "15.4" which is misleading, but it is actually 15.15. So where you see them using 15.4, it's most likely they're actually using 15.15. ;)

But don't read too much into my post, it was only meant as a joke. :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Went through all that only to find out that the video is blocked here in Germany. But the thought was appreciated. 

it's styx- too much time on my hands. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Way too much time

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

If you only posted this an hour ago when I actually did all the digging. Well they say hard work is gonna be rewarded, if nothing else I listened to a song I haven't heard for years.  :lol:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Fury X definitely missed the performance mark, but is still valuable for the price considering the power, size, and how little noise it generates.

Definitely good for small and powerful pcs.

shame to see we're still stuck on 28nm, let's hope pascal can live up to expectations

Digital Storm review is under the LTT spoiler. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Fury X definitely missed the performance mark, but is still valuable for the price considering the power, size, and how little noise it generates.

Definitely good for small and powerful pcs.

shame to see we're still stuck on 28nm, let's hope pascal can live up to expectations

We will see how it performs after a few patches, and how OC will be after voltage unlock.

Pascal and Greenland will both be new nodes. However since NVidia still hasn't been able to close a deal with Global foundries, maybe we will see Greenland be 14nm FinFet on Global Foundries,, and Pascal on 16nm FinFet+ on TSMC. That would really be interesting.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well time to upgrade to Titan X SLI.... No buyers regret here now that everything is released!

I regret not waiting for the 980ti to be released, but I love my titan x. I'd get another if I was going SLI but if I was just purchasing for the first time I'd go 980ti. The titan x is a beast!

oh AMD .. why U so dumb?  :lol:

X-2015062423071496747.jpg

what if i told you the grain of rice idea wasn't always the standard and too much thermal compound in that case is only bad when removing the cooler? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

what if i told you the grain of rice idea wasn't always the standard and too much thermal compound in that case is only bad when removing the cooler? 

that's not exactly the bad part, the concerning part is the thermal compound is spread over the SMDs near it

to detail even further, this is what I ended up with after cleaning Arctic Ceramique 2 of a copper heatsink:

M8tp4OP.jpg

that ^ looks like metal shavings (copper oxide ?!?!)

Cant say im impressed. Cant say im disappointed. It'll be good to let it brew for a little bit for some more driver side optimization to get some of those lower resolution benches up to speed

Well. Tonight I'm dreaming about graphics cards. Every time I want to upgrade, there's something slowing me down.

46b9b02f.gif

Both on Nvidia and AMD side.

Oh well. The GTX 760 isn't literally killing me. Yet.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Newegg tv is up with AMD product manager.  If ya want to add to OP.  Though it's not a review.

Personally a lot of the results so far are less than I was hoping for, but I have a theory as to why. Could the Fury X, with its 4GB VRAM, a presumed limitation, and other changes in bias from earlier chips indicate its focused on future performance in DX12 and on Windows 10? What with all the new tech being implemented in DX12 especially in regards to textures will HBM be more heavily and effectively leveraged in future games using DX12 than most of what is currently being benched? Have we seen any numbers on the difference between DX11 and Mantle for the Fury yet? I just wonder if AMD may have focused their efforts on performance dividends over the next handful of years rather than just at launch...

I get the feeling that the current mixed bag numbers may turn into a bigger badder beast with the more advanced API's making use of its new set of hardware techs and changes in how VRAM is being used in engine under DX12. 

So will the new nano that's coming Q4 be any better than the furyx / nonx?

Was thinking of upgrading to Fiji from my 570. Should I just go with the 980ti?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Was thinking of upgrading to Fiji from my 570. Should I just go with the 980ti?

I'm gonna be THAT guy, but i think currently, and this has a lot to do with games having an nvidia bias and whatnot more than the hardware, you'll have a better experience on the NVIDIA side of the fence. 

Alternatively, 295x2 or a couple of  290xs are not a bad solution at that pricce point. Crossfire can be a massive headache, but even stuck with one card it's pretty damn good. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Do the HBM chips protrude from the package like the die?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

no exact details, yet, but the Fury Nano is under Fury and under Fury X - in that order

I believe so. It's hard to tell, but if you look closely, it seems to. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Well. Tonight I'm dreaming about graphics cards. Every time I want to upgrade, there's something slowing me down.

Both on Nvidia and AMD side.

Oh well. The GTX 760 isn't literally killing me. Yet.

It's okay! After my TX was dead, I ended up using a GTX 580 again for nearly a month. Actually did okay in the Witcher 3 :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

yes, they do and from what I observed in different pics, they look like making full contact with the copper plate

CRLHCcB.jpg

Personally a lot of the results so far are less than I was hoping for, but I have a theory as to why. Could the Fury X, with its 4GB VRAM, a presumed limitation, and other changes in bias from earlier chips indicate its focused on future performance in DX12 and on Windows 10? What with all the new tech being implemented in DX12 especially in regards to textures will HBM be more heavily and effectively leveraged in future games using DX12 than most of what is currently being benched? Have we seen any numbers on the difference between DX11 and Mantle for the Fury yet? I just wonder if AMD may have focused their efforts on performance dividends over the next handful of years rather than just at launch...

I get the feeling that the current mixed bag numbers may turn into a bigger badder beast with the more advanced API's making use of its new set of hardware techs and changes in how VRAM is being used in engine under DX12. 

I really really really doubt that. This isn't a new architecture or anything like that and even if it was, I don't think we've seen anyone say "okay let's sacrifice DirectX 9 performance to get better DirectX 11 performance". Is that even possible to do?

Again, don't expect some magical thing in the future to happen and all of a sudden the card performs like a monster. You will just end up being disappointed again.

Would have to say yes.

It's good, so long as it is within tolerances and there's no reason to believe they're not....outside of what may be described as a liberal application of thermal paste we see in some shots.  Anyway, there looks like there is an impression there to accommodate the delta in height between HBM and chip.

fury-x-cooler3.jpg

From what it looks like both the GPU die and the HMB memory make contact with the waterblock itself. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X appears to have a full coverage water block right from the factory!

If servicing one, I'd be inclined to apply paste to the plate and spread rather then the chip and HBM's themselves.

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-complete-teardown_166851

This is all fine and dandy but where's the 4k surround benchmarks?

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress