Unofficial R9 Fury X reviews master post.

marldorthegreat

Don't forget AMD farmed out the cooler. They did not design nor make it themselves. THey may have been totally up front about it all and the communications broke down between them and... asetek?...

It's a Cooler Master unit. I think that is where is issue lies. If they had stuck with Asetek, like they did on the 295x2, this would never had happened. Funny fact: Ase is the religion of the Vikings.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's a Cooler Master unit. I think that is where is issue lies. If they had stuck with Asetek, like they did on the 295x2, this would never had happened. Funny fact: Ase is the religion of the Vikings.

I feel they could have picked another company to make their coolers.

´Off topic?

I thought Christianity was the religion of Vikings, after their pagan ways :P

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Funny fact: Ase is the religion of the Vikings.

Åse*

A =/= Å, they are different vowels, 'Å' is pronounced "Awe"

If you want to write this vowel without having the correct symbol, you use 2x A, like: "Aa"

/Angryscandinaviannerdface

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I feel they could have picked another company to make their coolers.

´Off topic?

I thought Christianity was the religion of Vikings, after their pagan ways :P

The only reasons I could think they scrapped Asetek, would be price and/or the lack of having the copper heatpipe in the loop.

The Vikings undoing was probably Christianity. No the Ase religion was about the Viking Gods like Thor, Odin, Freja, Loke, etc.

Åse*

A =/= Å, they are different vowels, 'Å' is pronounced "Awe"

If you want to write this vowel without having the correct symbol, you use 2x A, like: "Aa"

/Angryscandinaviannerdface

I'm Danish. And you silly Norwegians pronounce Å wrong. You pronounce it like our A's. For the 'muricans Think of the word "Oh". It would be pronounced Åu.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Norwegians pronounce Å wrong

I'll slap the cross right off your flag!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'll slap the cross right off your flag!

Yeah you guys copied that too, just like our language, and you did that wrong too :P

Yeah you guys copied that too, just like our language, and you did that wrong too :P

You mean like how you stole it from Estonia! 

(Way off topic now, better stop)

You mean like how you stole it from Estonia! 

(Way off topic now, better stop)

no-flag-for-you.jpg

Cross-Trend.jpg

As for on topic. They seem to have upgraded the cooler master pump. Sounds like it fixed the noise:

fgVN4xQ.jpg

no-flag-for-you.jpg

Cross-Trend.jpg

As for on topic. They seem to have upgraded the cooler master pump. Sounds like it fixed the noise:

fgVN4xQ.jpg

what bothers me is a bait and switch is still a bait and switch even if it's an improvement. Reviewers should get a product that's the same as the customers who are buying it based on the reviews get.

what bothers me is a bait and switch is still a bait and switch even if it's an improvement. Reviewers should get a product that's the same as the customers who are buying it based on the reviews get.

Anyone else feel like this is suspiciously similar to the Kingston SSD bait and switch?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Anyone else feel like this is suspiciously similar to the Kingston SSD bait and switch?

I wouldn't go as far to say they are doing that, because the reviews clear got shit pumps, it's jsut the concept of giving reviews a different piece of hardware.

After the 295x2, I thought they knew how to water cool a card. If crossfirex didn't hurt my testicles, I'd say the 295x2 was a perfect card, idk why they'd drop asetek, especially when the furyx doesn't have the benefit of redundant pumps.

I wouldn't go as far to say they are doing that, because the reviews clear got shit pumps, it's jsut the concept of giving reviews a different piece of hardware.

After the 295x2, I thought they knew how to water cool a card. If crossfirex didn't hurt my testicles, I'd say the 295x2 was a perfect card, idk why they'd drop asetek, especially when the furyx doesn't have the benefit of redundant pumps.

Perhaps because they were trying to reduce the cost of the card as much as possible? Straight up that explains a lot of AMD's problems (though buying Ati and their debt didn't help).

PMSL

Perhaps because they were trying to reduce the cost of the card as much as possible? Straight up that explains a lot of AMD's problems (though buying Ati and their debt didn't help).

ATi wasn't as shitty as AMD is currently. Hope they split like the rumors.

ATi wasn't as shitty as AMD is currently. Hope they split like the rumors.

Same here, AMD has f***ed up so badly......

PMSL

The only reasons I could think they scrapped Asetek, would be price and/or the lack of having the copper heatpipe in the loop.

The Vikings undoing was probably Christianity. No the Ase religion was about the Viking Gods like Thor, Odin, Freja, Loke, etc.

I'm Danish. And you silly Norwegians pronounce Å wrong. You pronounce it like our A's. For the 'muricans Think of the word "Oh". It would be pronounced Åu.

I happen to be Danish :P

They should have gone to NZXT or Corsair :P

Just never heard of the word Aase or Åse. Sound more like a name.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Eh...

Shame the Fury X was a letdown, it really was, 100 AUD more than a non-reference 980 Ti (G1 Gaming and Gaming 6G, damn Gigabyte and MSI, why you name so similar), with generally lower performance. I don't even think the HBM helps it out in the higher resolutions because the 980 Ti's 6GB of VRAM. 

The reference design with the watercooler is nice, but the 980 Ti is clearly the better option, and this is coming from a mostly AMD fanboy. 

Same in Germany I can get the EVGA non reference version of the 980Ti for 690€ while the cheapest FuryX I've found is 710€.

Unless you have a mini ITX built or a Freesync monitor I don't see why anyone would want to buy this card.

RTX2070OC 

Same in Germany I can get the EVGA non reference version of the 980Ti for 690€ while the cheapest FuryX I've found is 710€.

Unless you have a mini ITX built or a Freesync monitor I don't see why anyone would want to buy this card.

Even for a mini ITX build its not the best-that thick 120mm rad needs to go somewhere.

PMSL

How do you define a bait and switch? They fixed a problem in the review sample, making the product better. That is not a bait and switch.

That would just be you. Kingston made their SSD model worse performing with worse hardware. It's the opposite here with AMD, improving the pump.

I happen to be Danish :P

They should have gone to NZXT or Corsair :P

Just never heard of the word Aase or Åse. Sound more like a name.

NZXT's AIO's are all Asetek. Most of Corsair's are Asetek too. The 295x2 used a dual Asetek system as well. Fury X sadly uses Cooler Master.

Even for a mini ITX build its not the best-that thick 120mm rad needs to go somewhere.

Most ITX cases that would fit a Fury X would have at least 1 120mm fan somewhere, so it's hardly a problem. If you buy a 6-700$ graphics card, I'm sure you would buy a case that would fit it.

Or perhaps asetek didn't have the capacity to fullfill AMD orders (a dual GPU card never sells as much as a single GPU high end one), or just weren't willing to produce a cooler just for that card - I doubt there's any shelf part cooler for that particular GPU.

About your last sentece - by that logic any company who trys to reduce costs to increase margins = problems. So no, it doesn't straight up explain shit, pardon my french, else NVIDIA would be in big trouble with the same cooler for the last 3 or 4 years to reduce costs.

Haven't seen LMG's revised video yet, but here's Linus' evil twin with it via NCIX.

:EDIT: DAMN, spoofed again.  Just reiterated hardwarecanucks bench findings.  No new data.  :(

Very good read as always. Seems like Anandtech's benchmark numbers are the same as most other trusted reviewers. At 4K it is only slightly behind the 980 Ti, but the lower you go (like 1440p or 1080p) the bigger the gap becomes.

Their conclusion seems to be the same as mine. The Fury X would have been impressive if the 980 Ti didn't exist, but now that it does it falls short of expectations (and the card got overhyped like crazy). Even if they were the same performance wise, Nvidia is ahead in terms of additional features and value adds (does the Fury X even come with a free game?).

The only reason I see anyone getting the Fury X would be if you have a very tiny case where the 980 Ti doesn't fit because it's too long. I doubt many builds will end up like that though. Especially not since the Fury X isn't really suitable for 4K gaming on a TV (lacks 60Hz UHD over HDMI).

Let's not forget, while it does merely hold its own in 4k, VR is where AMD sees things shifting, and the Fury X very well may be the big hitter in that space. What basically amounts to two slightly lower resolution displays putting out a nearly identical picture in the term of textures used with the main differences being shifts in polygons and shading? Seems like the Fury X is built specifically to trounce in multi-display/VR, 4K performance being competitive but not pack leading may just be one of the trade-offs of a design focused on new areas of development.

EDIT: And just as an aside, is all of this still under DX11?

The only reason I see anyone getting the Fury X would be if you have a very tiny case where the 980 Ti doesn't fit because it's too long.

that assumption may be very wrong because of the tubing coming out at the back of the card - you don't want to kink those at all

that assumption may be very wrong because of the tubing coming out at the back of the card - you don't want to kink those at all

Yeah. Small form factor goes out the windows there. However. The fury nano looks promising 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614